Hannelore, we downsized last year at this time. Went from a 4000 sq ft home with huge yard to 1115 sq ft and no yard.

It has it's good side and bad side.

No yard. Come spring, I think I'll miss working in my yard but for now, I don't have to worry about shoveling snow and the assoc. pays for it and schedules it.

No front porch. I miss sitting there and looking at the beautiful Tennessee views but we have a great view from the 10th floor flat we're in.

One bad thing is my furniture is in storage. I miss it. The hub bought furniture for the flat and while it isn't really my taste, he did a good job. It's all black leather.

We now question why we had such a large house. The kids only visit about twice a year and the rest of the time, it was space that had to be cleaned but not used.

We have found that we love this simplified way of life. No clutter (you can't, there is no room!) When we had a basement we put stuff down there that stayed there and wasn't used and we ended up giving it all away or throwing it out. If there is room...we'll junk it up.

I wouldn't mind a small home with a yard but for now, I'm really liking it here.

Boomer Queen of Shoes