Hi, Hannelore: I can answer query no. 2 but with a different twist to the second part of the question.

I have thought about downsizing many, many times since I live alone. My house is much too big for one person to live in and I have a backgarden I cannot maintain. I have actually bought a flat two years ago after the divorce but, decided to rent it out instead, because the plan to downsize always gets thwarted when my daughter and her family come for their weekend stays. A smaller accommodation would not offer the same space for when they visit. That's the part which comes into the second half of the question.

Selling up at this time would be very lucrative for me, inflated as property values are at present time. That being the case, it might also be difficult for my son to acquire the appropriate property in the future when he starts his family. He lives in a flat at the moment. So I have decided to keep the house for him. Eventually, I may refurbish the house to accommodate a "granny" flat when the time comes. In the meantime, I have elderly friends who do not have backgardens and they tend to mine like their own.

In my case, plans to downsize comes with how I see my life in the future. Children and grandchildren play a dominant part so, I live with the space at the moment but I hope it gets to fill up again after my son marries.

As Danita has asked, do you intend to move back to the States?