I would recommend that she do a little research on this disease before going to the doctor again, and writing out a list of questions that she might have, because when you are face to face with the doctor, it is easy to forget the questions and draw a blank. There are books on the subject in the public libraries, college libraries, and often free literature in doctor's offices and drug stores.
Online, you might check out some websites such as WebMD.com, and I have others saved in favorites as well. If I had a private email address, I could send you more websites to check out. Many of them have message boards where she can ask questions she might have.
Working as a nurse in the hospital, I see a lot of people with this disease. Many of them continue to lead productive, active lives...so it is not a disease that will necessarily derail her life. She should also read up on the disease in nutrition books, because diet is a large part of the treatment and exacerbation of the disease as well. There are foods and liquids she should avoid, and also foods that will help alleviate the symptoms.
Herbal cures can be helpful at times, however, if you try any, make sure the doctor is aware of these, because some of them may interfere or interact with any medications your doctor is prescribing for her treatment. Keep your doctor informed, of symptoms, reactions, any over the counter medications, and don't be afraid to ask questions. If the doctor seems too rushed to answer, ask the nurse. Sometimes she can answer your questions or can pursue the issue with the dr. and get back to you.