I chose my ex over the rest because he was an exemplary man. A good man. A very, very good man who was deeply spiritual. I knew from the onset that he would be a good father by the way he was with people. And, I was right to have thought that because his paternal instincts were second to none. He was a good husband and a good father and no doubt, would have continued to be so were it not for an alternative vocation which he has chosen to live the rest of his life. His bond with our children could be measured by the affection with which he is continually referred to and held in their hearts. Although initially, they could not understand choices and decisions which were made and excluded us, they do not begrudge nor reproach him for that. My ex was a hands-on father and was the balance to my strict parenting skills.

I don't think that I ever considered whether he would be a good provider. We were both working when we got married so it followed that responsibilities would be shared. We never squabbled over finances and respected each others efforts and contribution.

I dread to think what my married life or shared parenthood would have been if I had chosen another man. I have met the other beaus and their wives and I have always come away thinking that I was glad to have chosen the right man despite ending up a divorcee. And I can honestly say that despite the divorce, my married life was a happy and a good one.