I think it all has to with your perspective about work. At my office I get four weeks paid vacation, the week between Christmas and New Years off as a bonus, and more sick time then I could possibly tell you. (I have over 100 hours accumulated over 2.5 years of being here and that is with taking sick leave for two deaths and numerous medical emegencies.) Our company would rather give you the opportunity to take time off to do what you need to do.

If I want to take time off for mental health, physical health, or just to get stuff done at my house, that's my choice. I have the time and I'm going to take it. I always get my work done and I am not inconveniencing anyone else. No one wants us here when we are sick anyway because no one wants to take stuff home to their kids.

I also think that the relationships you have with your coworkers also makes time off a little easier. We all pitch in when someone is out for planned or unexpected leave. When my coworker's little baby had to go trhough all her tests and then surgery, we just pitched in. No one complained about how they are always here no matter what they're going through. We all just did it. Later in the summer, the favor was returned to me when I took a week and a half when my grandmother died and my mom was in the hospital. Everyone took care of things. We also do the same thing for vacations because we know that we all want to be able to take time off and enjoy ourselves and come back rested. Keeping tabs on who is and isn't in at work and for what reasons is a big waste of time at work.