The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9919 - 01/25/06 11:53 PM Re: Help !
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
foundhervoiceatlast, thanks for taking the time to share your story again for Ulla's sake. I appreciate it.

How are you hanging in there?

#9920 - 01/26/06 01:00 AM Re: Help !
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Now some of you in here that boo-hood my advice to everyone happily married now or not to put something away in a private account or your sock, whatever you're comfortable with because none of us knows what will happen down the road with our daring husbands. I have seen far too may women devasted both emotionally and financially when a husband gets itchy feet...They are scoundrels and don't give a hoot about fairness. I received this advice while in my twenties and I followed it faithfully so when I got divorced fourteen years later, I had a nice nest egg for my sons and myself and it was a good thing too because he turned into "MR. POOR" in front of the judge. Any single gals or newly married ones or any of you heed these words or they may come back one day to bite you in the a**!!! [Eek!]

[ January 25, 2006, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#9921 - 01/26/06 02:14 AM Re: Help !
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I always thought pre-nuptial agreements were a terrible way to start a marriage--not anymore! I will NEVER be caught without again. Chatty is absolutely right!

#9922 - 01/26/06 02:18 AM Re: Help !
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
quote:
Originally posted by foundhervoice-atlast:
My "pitbull" attorney told me just this week that I can expect to be shafted even if I do get a settlement because the law is still very lopsided when it comes to women's rights, and I will never get what I truly deserve to pull out of the marriage after so many years of sacrifice and loyalty.

Just an observation from the ex-wife of an attorney. Notice how often attorneys paint a rosy picture 'before' they get the case then change to a very gloomy picture just before going to court.

That way if they lose, it's because the court is skewed against you, but if they win, they are heroes for overcoming the skewed court.

Doctors do it too. In an elective surgery, the possible complications are glossed over and it is made to appear that every surgery is an absolute success. Then after you have been prepped and are in the holding room, the recovery rates suddenly decline. Your family may be warned that the outcome could be disastrous.

If a surgery is an emergency or non-elective (ruptured appendix, cancer, etc.), the chances of recovery and even survival are portrayed as very bad. That way if you survive at all, regardless of how the doctor may have flubbed up the surgery, he is a hero.

You could probably find the judges case record somewhere. Possibly online, but it might not matter. My only advice would be not to let any attorney intimidate you into settling for less than you deserve, but never trust a court to be fair either. It's all about who wins and who loses.

smile

[ January 25, 2006, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#9923 - 01/26/06 06:41 AM Re: Help !
foundhervoice-atlast Offline

Loc: Colorado
I did not get married until I was 32 (he was 6 years younger)and my fiancee at the time did ask me to sign a pre-nup before the wedding. I refused because I was such a romantic idealist and felt that it would be the wrong way to start off a new marriage, kind of keeping one eye on its demise, you know? Who wants to think about failure when you have stars in your eyes?

As it turned out, it was a good thing I did not agree to sign it because he recently ran all of our joint resources into the ground (retirement, savings & everything...) and kept a private investment account on the side that he started shortly before our marriage. That he kept it in his name only came as a surprise to me: our agreement had been to merge all of our individual assets and investments into a joint family account when we tied the knot. Over the years he showed me the statements regularly, acting as if the money was joint and the account in both our names. What he failed to divulge was that my name was never put on the account as promised. So had I actually signed that prenup I would not be entitled to one red cent of it now, and he kept that money separate and invested for the last 20 years. At this point it looks like I stand a fairly good chance of being awarded 50% of whatever money has accrued in the account while we were married because we live in an equitable distribution state and the interest/gains in the fund are considered a marital asset. I hope and pray that this is true, because it is all that is left from everything we worked so hard for over the years.

In the unlikely event that I would ever marry again, I would make darned sure that my assets are safe, whether it be in the form of a prenup, or some other vehicle, so that I am never in this awful financial position again.

foundhervoice-atlast

#9924 - 02/07/06 06:32 PM Re: Help !
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
My heart goes out to each of you who've endured so much! I pray the Lord strengthens you physically & emotionally, that you may find peace amidst all this turbulence and remember you are not alone.

It's amazing how ugly what once was love can turn. Hugs!

#9925 - 02/08/06 08:09 AM Re: Help !
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I emailed Ulaa to see how she is doing. Hopefully she will be back.

#9926 - 02/08/06 09:49 PM Re: Help !
Ulaa Offline

To everyone who has been replying, I am so grateful. This whole divorce is so upsetting. Last week my husband wanted to make me an out of court offer, in exchange for him withdrawing his divorce forms and me submitting mine ? - I think my lawyer regarded that as blackmail. Its really been stressing me out. I thought about it as his offer seemed good - but then I have no idea how much he's really worth. I guess it's all going through the courts now and he has to declare all his finances, and I guess this drags an already painful situation out further ?

#9927 - 02/08/06 09:51 PM Re: Help !
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I am not familiar with your circumstances, Ulaa. Are there children involved?

#9928 - 02/09/06 07:51 PM Re: Help !
Ulaa Offline

Hi Bluebird,

No we didn't have children. I guess lots of people will say thats a good thing, but its all I ever wanted. He always promised we would have kids as soon as he felt his business was stable, but then always seemed to be away from home at the right times to get me pregnant. Not having kids is more of a loss than loosing him.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved