The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9909 - 01/14/06 05:49 AM Help !
Ulaa Offline

Hi there, I have suspected my husband has been having an affair and on wednesday of this week I confronted him. He agreed to a divorce on grounds of adultery. However, I heard today that he had filed for a divorce in the court on the same day I spoke to him, but on my unreasonable behavior. I am in complete shock. It is awful to have things made up. I feel like I've been made out to be the bad person who destroyed our marriage, when he had the affair. Any words to help me get through this ?

#9910 - 01/14/06 06:08 AM Re: Help !
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You file too and be sure you say ADULTERY, don't let this @#$%$#@ get away with anything. He did this to keep the adultery out of the public record so you make sure it gets in. By the way sorry for your situation and welcome to the Boomers. Many here are going through similar things and you'll find plenty of support and comrodery....keep your chin up, it does actually get better with time.

[ January 14, 2006, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#9911 - 01/14/06 05:41 PM Re: Help !
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
You'd think as many times as I have said this in the forum that I actually LIKE lawyers [Smile]

but I have to say it again

GET A GOOD LAWYER !!!

With the law - even if you dot your i's and cross your t's -- if you didn't do it the way the judge liked it -- OH WELL !! your scum bag (ooops sorry) "husband" could win.

As far as the emotional side goes -- after you find a good lawyer -- stay away from your "about to be" ex -- have no conversation with him that doesnt include your attorney. The only thing that can come out of contact with him outside a court room is heartache FOR YOU !! If he calls - hang up. If he stops by - close the door. He will turn this around and make you the bad guy if you give him the chance.

And that's something you have to get straight in your mind right now -- YOU ARENT THE BAD GUY HERE

You didnt mention if there are children involved?

Chatty Lady is right -- welcome to the forum and we'll help you through it all [Big Grin]

#9912 - 01/15/06 08:26 AM Re: Help !
Ulaa Offline

Dear Chatty Lady and Lionspaaw,

Thankyou so much for your reply's. It really helps knowing other people are there to talk to. We don't have any kids - he has been telling me it wasn't a good time with his work - when infact he just wanted them with someone else. I talked to a lawyer, and he says that the only thing I can do is to contest on the grounds of his adultery to get it in the public record, but that the application for a divorce can only be made by one person so now he's done it I cant. I now am liable to all his legal costs. The scum bag earns just under half a million per year, yet I don't have a job. I expect to be forced out of our home. The laws in the UK are not great if you are the dependant and have no kids. I can't believe I married someone so awful.

#9913 - 01/15/06 08:38 AM Re: Help !
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Emotionally, don't let him put this load on your shoulders. My ex did this too and after I left him, he tried to get me back for two years. If I was so bad, why did he want me back? They can't look at themselves in the mirror so transfer it to our shoulders. But, inwardly don't accept it because he knows the truth deep down.

Can you show that you didn't work because he didn't want you to? I'd let my atty fight it out for me. This is just awful and I know exactly how you feel. It's so painful and the betrayal is difficult to work through but you will come out a stronger woman for it.

[ January 14, 2006, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#9914 - 01/15/06 03:07 AM Re: Help !
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Ulaa, so do that, contest on the grounds of his adultery, it is imperative that this be in the divorce records. You have to become a tigeress willing to do almost anything to win, win, win or at least get what is coming to you and ask your lawyer about suing this other woman (trash) for "alienation of affections." My friend did it and got $50,000. settlement. Hey money's money, go for it. You have to take care of #1 and thats you, then, now and always....

[ January 14, 2006, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#9915 - 01/15/06 03:25 AM Re: Help !
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
At some point in a divorce, no matter how 'civilized' we may set out to be, it all comes down to money and property. I guess when the relationship is over, that' all there is.

No matter who is at fault and no matter how much we just want out, it's imperative that as women, we protect ourselves financially. A woman who makes a home while a man succeeds in a career deserves compensation for that contribution and courts are supposed to recognize that.

I've never taken that advice and always had a good job when I got a divorce. But looking back I can see the wisdom of having a tenacious lawyer and getting what is deserved. A divorce is no time to trust your heart. It's a life event that should be moved from your emotions to your intellect and pursued with wisdom.

Get a good lawyer.

smile

#9916 - 01/24/06 02:10 AM Re: Help !
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Ulla how are things going for you?

#9917 - 01/24/06 09:46 PM Re: Help !
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I read recently that women want to be fair but men want to win. So take that statement to heart and be ready adn willing to fight--otherwise you may not have anything when this is over.

#9918 - 01/25/06 11:25 AM Re: Help !
foundhervoice-atlast Offline

Loc: Colorado
Ulla,

I sympathize with you 100% as I am going through a divorce myself and can relate...

I agree with what everyone here has said to you. Divorce and money matters in particular tend to bring out the worst in men - in my humble opinion - and you will not believe how down and dirty things can get with the man you thought you knew. When my husband and I first met we were equals in terms of career status and earning potential. When we decided to start a family we made an oral agreement that I would be the one to give up my career to stay home and raise the children, since he definitely did not see himself as a stay-at-home-dad type, and neither of us wanted to put our children in day care. We did not have much money at the time but we managed to put aside a couple of thousand dollars as a symbolic gesture so that I would not feel totally dependent upon him financially and wouldn't have to ask for money to buy underwear or birthday presents. As it turned out, one of our children was born chronically ill and that pretty much eliminated my ability to work a job outside of the home for a long time; my earning days seemed to be over and that made me nervous but as my son's health was at stake I did not seem to have much choice in the matter and did what had to be done to ensure his survival.

Well, the whole thing backfired on me soon after my son regained his health. The husband had apparently resented my staying at home all those years while he was out earning a living (!), was actually jealous of the children's demands on my time, cheated on me, systematically defrauded me by removing my name from our joint investments, and then filed for divorce himself when I insisted on marriage counseling and subsequent therapy. His attorney had the audacity to claim that I had contributed nothing to the marriage (since I did not work outside of the home) and was therefore not entitled to any monetary compensation. He went so far as to claim that nothing was wrong with our son (I spent several months gathering documentation from the doctors and hospitals to prove otherwise)and is currently fighting to pay little or no spousal support to me. And that is the short version. The girls here know the rest.

My point in rehashing this for you is this: You would think that any normal human being would see the inequity of the situation, but I have been told that the presiding judge in our district is known for being unsympathetic to stay-at-home-moms, and that if we wind up going to court instead of settling, I will not be treated fairly. Who'd have thunk it? I am now 52 years old and never imagined things would turn out this way.

Listen to what these women here are telling you, Ulla. My "pitbull" attorney told me just this week that I can expect to be shafted even if I do get a settlement because the law is still very lopsided when it comes to women's rights, and I will never get what I truly deserve to pull out of the marriage after so many years of sacrifice and loyalty. Divorce is not about being fair. Women want to be fair and men want to WIN. You need to protect yourself. The best piece of advice I ever got was to do your best to separate your emotions from what is going on and treat this law suit like the serious business opportunity it is. There will be plenty of time for tears later. Right now you need to do whatever you can do to fight and make sure you get a favorable outcome since your very survival may depend on it. That does not mean you have to be nasty - it just means you should stand up for what you want and not allow yourself to be intimidated by falsehoods and male posturing...

My very best wishes are with you, and I will pray that you find the physical and emotional strength you need to see this through.

Foundhervoice-atlast

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved