The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 89 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#97907 - 12/06/06 07:29 AM Re: My oil painting [Re: Lola]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Hannelore, keep on painting... you are amazing!
Tschuss! Cindy

#97908 - 12/06/06 07:30 AM Re: My oil painting [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I'm smiling from ear to ear from all your compliments. Well...with my mouth, that's no big thing.

The "frame" is actually an old barn window I saw in a farmhouse stable. I was supposed to sell the farm. I asked the farmer what he plans to do with the window frame, and he said, "throw it out". Hubby, sanded it down, and presto, we got a frame. I then ordered the canvas according to size.

Lynnie, I found your Poinsettia on Ebay. It's beautiful, and I'm sure it will be a lovely Christmas gift. Here's crossing my fingers on a big sale for you! Pretty exciting, isn't it?

Eagle Heart, I'm just a "smooth sailing" person myself. If Hubby would take me sailing in a wind like that, they wouldn't need fog horns out there, I'd supply the sound!

Saundra, I've always painted. In between I have tried to sell…but no luck. One of my life dreams would be to have a vernissage. Maybe someday.

Louisa, I couldn't paint if someone was watching me. I usually paint in our den. Then I lay on some jazz, and I'm in another world. I could paint all night through without getting tired. Same thing with writing. …Gee, I wish I didn't have to sleep. Hope you start painting again. If you don't have the room, then maybe you would want to try selling?

#97909 - 12/06/06 04:14 PM Re: My oil painting [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Hannelore, I felt myself just wanting to stare at the painting and think about it. Be there.

Tell us all the story behind it, would you? What made you decide to paint that particular scene? And were they in trouble? I felt they were...

He took her out there to tell her he has a mistress and the wind came up so violently....they struggled....he fell in, she got the insurance money and now lives in a wealthy village in GREECE...

What?

Hey, it moved me, what can I tell you?

#97910 - 12/06/06 07:33 PM Re: My oil painting [Re: jawjaw]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Wow Hannelore, fantastic. It had me yearning for my most favoured coastline in the world. The Antrim Coastline...Ballycastle beach to be more precise. Do you work with other materials, pastels etc?? Do you do any commissioned peices??

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#97911 - 12/06/06 08:38 PM Re: My oil painting [Re: Poppie]
Edelweiss Offline

Dear Doctor JJ. You may just have seen some depth in this painting that I have never seen before. It is sort of odd that they are sailing almost off the canvas, isn't it Now why the heck did I paint it that way? I have no idea. May I lie down Doc? I think it's a blah blah long story. To tell you the truth, I prefer your version.
Does she live happily ever after in Greece?
Okay, send me a bill.

Popea, forgive my ignorance, but where exactly is that favourite coastline of yours? Is it in Ireland? I've worked with water colors and ah, I've done lots of doodling with pencils and pens next to my phone.

My friends, you have me blushing all over, I'm so flattered. Really, I never expected this reaction.

I have only once done an oil portrait on commission. Other then that, I'm a novice what the sales market is concerned. But now I got to tell you ladies something. I'm doing something REALLY crazy, and I'm just giddy thinking about it.

After asking for Hubby's permission, I'm putting the painting in Ebay. I want to just see if I have any luck. I had to promise Hubby I'll paint it again for him.

Well, then I thought, what in the world can I ask for? I just have no idea. So I checked out Ebay, and found atrocious prices. Like 20 million for paintings that looked like a dog got sick all over the canvas…. So I figured, I don't have to sell…why not… why not try…I have nothing to lose! Hah, I put it in for $40.000,- . I'm positive I won't sell it, but they say some crazy person gets up every morning….maybe some Arabian Sheikh would like to hang it up in his bathroom? Yes?…Well, if I do get that price, I officially promise to sponsor a bottle of French Champaign for each and every one of you! tee-hee

#97912 - 12/06/06 10:30 PM Re: My oil painting [Re: Edelweiss]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hannelore, let's talk about the selling of art, shall we? I'm in the same boat, so to speak. what does the word "vernissage" mean? I found putting a painting on ebay for the first time to be a daunting process. First of all, it means coming out as an artist in the market place. Second of all, learning Ebay is like learning a different language. I put mine up on auction with a too low starting price based on what I saw others doing. I did not know about the "reserve" type lising until later. Hann, you can't sell the painting framed for $40.00 (forty US dollars) because that is way way too low. Did I read your figure right? Did you put a "reserve" on it or did you put it up for auction? I like the way JJ started a story over your painting!

#97913 - 12/06/06 11:03 PM Re: My oil painting [Re: Princess Lenora]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hannelore,

Beautiful painting...I love the beach and it's just like being there...you are amazing!

#97914 - 12/06/06 11:23 PM Re: My oil painting [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Lynnie, I think she said $40,000. I used to sell my paintings. I even had commissions once in a while. I much preferred selling one I had already painted. Less pressure. We have several good art guilds in our area. At the time, I belonged to a couple of them and entered shows through them. Most of the ones I sold were to someone who had seen one and wanted it. I never did an selling over the Internet. I didn't have that venue then. I don't have the time for painting now. Maybe when I retire I will pick up a brush again.
Louisa

#97915 - 12/07/06 12:52 AM Re: My oil painting [Re: Louisa]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Louisa, do you miss painting? My neighbor suggested I do a painting for them on commission, but I don't have the confidence to take that on. I like art guilds. The art guild I belonged to in Missouri was so very helpful and encouraging. Now that I discovered my inner artist that was dying to come out, I can't imagine not painting. I have plenty of time, but I don't use it wisely. Hey, artists, don't you think that just getting the supplies are fun? Hann, do you do a "certificate of authenticity?"

Edited by Lynnie (12/07/06 12:54 AM)

#97916 - 12/07/06 09:43 AM Re: My oil painting [Re: Princess Lenora]
Edelweiss Offline

No Lynnie, I have never heard of that. Isn't my signature on the painting enough? Can you tell me more about the certificate of authenticity? I try to hold back on the oil tubes…got a collection of dried ones.

Lynnie, a vernissage is an art show. Either you display just your paintings or you can share with another artist. You can do the showing in a gallery, banks and some large stores have them in their stair wells.

You invite everyone you know with posted invitations to the vernissage opening. There you may have a musician or little combo jazz band. You serve Champaign and snacks. People get all dressed up for these occasions. They walk around, study your paintings with or without their spectacles, while holding long cigarette holders, whether they smoke or not, and pretend to be very debonair.
No, just kidding. There are some normal people here too.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved