The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#97345 - 12/02/06 09:06 PM Adoption
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Maybe its just me but don't we have enough poor children in the USA that need adoptive, loving parents? Whats with all these celebritys going to Tim-Buck-Two, to adopt a child. Granted they need homes too but shouln't we take care of our own first? Thoughts?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#97346 - 12/02/06 10:49 PM Re: Adoption [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I did consider that position for a little while. What turned me around are the government and social care we have available in the West in contrast to the lack of safety nets available to those children in the Third World. We have available to our needy children foster homes and foster parents, free education and healthcare amongst other social benefits in place to avail of. So, perhaps if some choose to adopt from where there is this imbalance, then the most disadvantaged children can only benefit from it.

#97347 - 12/02/06 11:20 PM Re: Adoption [Re: Lola]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
I think Oprah said to her viewers (on the show in which she went to Africa) that it is much "easier" to be poor in America than it is to be poor in the rest of the world.

I think she was right. The poor here in America have access to services that the poor of the rest of the world can only dream of.

My heart goes out to all children who are in need of homes. If we made it a priority, I am convinced more could be done to help those in need.

Donna

#97348 - 12/03/06 10:20 PM Re: Adoption [Re: 49erDonna]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

We have a shelter here in town for women and children who were abused and they are having a drive to collect clothing and anything else useful. I have a huge collection of stuffed animals and so I gathered them up and took them over to the shelter for the kids. Most were set aside to be wrapped up for Christmas but some were handed out right then and the looks on these little faces made me cry all the way home. I doubt I could survive if I had to see these kids and countless others in far worse condition and be able to do nothing. I guess maybe Oprah and others are right and I stand corrected, and humbled by the thought of poor children languishing anywhere in this world. Children are children and should never have to suffer from hunger or disease or anything else unpleasant...

#97349 - 12/07/06 03:58 AM Re: Adoption [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart because two of our children are adopted from Korea.

After suffering through four years of infertility, we wanted a healthy baby, and fast! At the time, you could apply for and receive a healthy child from Korea within one year. We applied, took the class, went through the home study (which all expecting parents should have to do) and had our healthy baby boy within nine months. We adored him so much, we turned around and filed for another baby, and our little girl arrived within nine months, during which time I became pregnant.

We did not adopt to save the world. We had more selfish reasons. We wanted a family.

Unfortunately, there was no quick easy way to adopt an American baby at the time so we chose foreign adoption.

#97350 - 12/07/06 06:21 AM Re: Adoption
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I will never understand why it is so difficult here in America to adopt, they are always complaining that there are so many children needing homes. Go figure!!

#97351 - 12/08/06 07:44 PM Re: Adoption [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, isn't that the truth!

Edited by Dotsie (12/08/06 07:45 PM)

#97352 - 12/08/06 07:50 PM Re: Adoption
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
After watching a tv show on older children that needed to be adopted, I checked into it. Almost all of them had mental health issues or illness so maybe people in America don't feel they are qualified to take on these problems?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#97353 - 12/11/06 10:35 PM Re: Adoption [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dianne, and neither were we. We filed for healthy babies.

#97354 - 12/27/06 04:09 PM Birth mom lived within miles...Re: Adoption
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Well gals...I was born in America and raised in America.
In fact, my birth mom and siblings lived within miles of me, all my life. And I knew it. I felt it in my spirit.
It wasn't until my adopted parents both died, that I found my birth family. I was abandoned at 25 months old. I found my mom again, when I was 50. Birth mom and I socialized for 5 years before her death. My adoptive folks, adopted 3 kids; all were 6 years apart in age; and all were from different families and abusive situations. So, you see, Americans do adopt their own. Of course, our case was back in the fifties. Hummmm, whatever! Just thought I'd throw this into the mix!!!! Luv ya,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved