The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#96731 - 11/28/06 02:46 AM Which is better---fruits or vegetables?
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Eating vegetables, not fruit, helps slow down the rate of cognitive change in older adults, according to a study published in the October 24, 2006, issue of Neurology, the scientific journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

In determining whether there was an association between vegetables, fruit and cognitive decline, researchers studied 3,718 residents in Chicago, Illinois, who were age 65 and older. Participants completed a food frequency questionnaire and received at least two cognitive tests over a six-year period.

“Compared to people who consumed less than one serving of vegetables a day, people who ate at least 2.8 servings of vegetables a day saw their rate of cognitive change slow by roughly 40 percent,” said study author Martha Clare Morris, ScD, with Rush University Medical Center in Chicago. “This decrease is equivalent to about five years of younger age.”

Of the different types of vegetables consumed by participants, green leafy vegetables had the strongest association to slowing the rate of cognitive decline. The study also found the older the person, the greater the slowdown in the rate of cognitive decline if that person consumed more than two servings of vegetables a day.

Surprisingly, the study found fruit consumption was not associated with cognitive change.

“This was unanticipated and raises several questions,” said Morris. “It may be due to vegetables containing high amounts of vitamin E, which helps lower the risk of cognitive decline. Vegetables, but not fruits, are also typically consumed with added fats such as salad dressings, and fats increase the absorption of vitamin E. Still, further study is required to understand why fruit is not associated with cognitive change.”

Morris says the study’s findings can be used to simplify public health messages by saying people should eat more or less of foods in a specific food group, not necessarily more or less of individual foods.

The study was supported by grants from the National Institute on Aging.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
http://www.talk2bev.com

“I’m not a writer because I wrote a book. I wrote a book because I was inspired by God.”

#96732 - 11/28/06 03:22 PM Re: Which is better---fruits or vegetables? [Re: bamgibbs]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks Beverly. I'm glad I take Vitamin E.

#96733 - 11/28/06 05:41 PM Re: Which is better---fruits or vegetables?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Interesting study. We should all eat more vegetables. And french fries don't count. :-)
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#96734 - 11/28/06 05:59 PM Re: Which is better---fruits or vegetables? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I have such a sweet tooth that I always seem to choose fruit over veggies. And when I have veggies, I seem to have things like yams smothered in brown sugar and butter. Does that count?

#96735 - 11/29/06 03:23 PM Re: Which is better---fruits or vegetables? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
trying to cover spam by bringing this back up

Boomer Queen of Shoes

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved