The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96208 - 11/25/06 12:27 PM Can you make REAL Money online
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
My husband has been trying to find a way to work from home and make real money. He had a bad time of it a while back working with a scam artist, and he want to know how to figure out what is legit, what really sells and what to watch out for.

Any thoughts?
Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#96209 - 11/25/06 02:29 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Anno]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Oh, man, that's a tough one. Anything that sounds too easy and too good to be true most likely is. There are many "make money" programs, but they're just having you sign more people up for your program and I won't do that kind of thing to someone else.

His best bet is to take what he knows and put it to use. What kinds of jobs has he had? What's his experience? Is he looking to consult/offer services or sell products?

If he wants to sell products, there are so many things to consider. Where will you get them, do you have the $$ to invest, how many other people are selling them online and what are their prices and shipping costs?

The best thing to sell, in my opinion, is something that's not readily available in stores and with a larger markup. My wicking sleepwear is still hard to find in stores so I'm doing well with sales, however it doesn't have a huge markup. But you'll also see I'm not selling a bunch of $1.99 items - it's just not worth the hassle of processing an order and shipping it.

There are drop ship companies, but you run the risk of alienating customers if your products are out of stock or get lost. You lose the control of providing top quality service to your customer.

I've heard/read that if you have special knowledge in a subject that you can make money selling a booklet or pamphlet. It MUST have useful information about one particular subject. Then the marketing is easier because you can target just that segment of the population.

For example, if you've been a fireman all your life, you could write a "100 of the best fire station recipes". It might cost less than a dollar to print, then another 50 cents to mail, so you charge $6.99 and clear $4.50 on each sale. Then you market ONLY to firefighters and their relatives. Now this example is pretty low end - just think about how many of these little booklets you'd have to sell - but there are a lot of fire stations in this country.

And my last comment: before you do anything, take a look online at your competition. Search for the terms you would use for your online store and see what's already out there and what they are doing and charging.

Good luck! If you find the magic bullet, please let the rest of us know!

Kathy

#96210 - 11/25/06 03:13 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Kathy has covered everything I would have added. And what she said about "if it seems to good to be true, or too easy" is dead on. When someone has a scheme for you to sign up others, guess who gets the bulk of the $'s...yep, that's right, the person at the top. It's a pyramid in every sense of the word and the only person making money is the guy/gal at the top.

Now, the advice she gave on informational booklets or "how-to" books is also excellent advice. You could also develop an e-book of his "how to eat an elephant" or whatever the subject and sell it online. What is his expertise? What can he give the public that they need?

There are lots of places that offer free web sites, for starters. I don't recommend the ones with ads all over the place because they are annoying and you have under 6 (I think it's 3?) seconds to capture your audience. This is your calling card. Once you have your web page built, ask yourself this...would YOU take this person seriously? If you have ONE doubt, redo---redo---redo.

Making an ebook is not child's play but with a little bit of a learning curve, he could be on his way.

Whatever he does, please tell him that he gets ONE shot at those customers out there and he needs three things going for him.

1. Honesty
2. Integrity
3. Availabiity - (product support)

If he has these three things, the sales will follow. But if he tries to get rich quick and cut corners, it will come back and bite him in the butt.

And finally, (did I hear a sigh?) I'll repeat what Kathy has already said. Research his area of expertise and see what others are doing. Not only their marketing niches, but their web pages, their look, and their product(s) line. Do they offer the same identical thing he wants to offer? How could he twist or turn his to make it unique? Maybe offer more, or better somehow.

Just more of the same two cents worth. You can't beat Kathy's advice.

#96211 - 11/25/06 03:41 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

JJ, I've wondered about ebooks. If one person pays and downloads it, what stops another from sending it along to all their friends for free? I know it's not right, but I'm just wondering how the people who sell these ebooks protect their interests. Any idea?

#96212 - 11/25/06 04:45 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

It use to be that you couldn't protect the ebooks from being shared. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time before that was "fixed." Sure enough....now you can purchase software that allows you to sell the ebook to an individual, give them ONE password that can only be used on the ONE computer (IPS address) and so if they send the book to another individual, it won't open. This doesn't keep anyone from printing out the ebook.

Remember, if someone wants to cheat, they'll find a way. But at least this new software does stop them a little. Also, I've HEARD that there is some software that allows you to SEE every time the book is opened and from WHERE (again, the IPS address). That's a little too BIG BROTHER for me. I wouldn't want my customers to think I'm sitting here tracking their moves. That just seems a tad unethical to me.

By the way, I'm putting all of my previous ALL THINGS ROYAL in an ebook for my Web site. It should be fun!

#96213 - 11/25/06 05:35 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Thanks for the information Kathy and JJ. Dennis was layed off from a great job in sales (computer power supplies) four years ago and has not been able to find a good job since. He says it's his age and Parkinson's symtoms, but whatever the reason, he is unhappy not having a good paying job. He knows he does not want a get rich quick scheme, but is considering an online business to start generating some money.

He has a big interest in watches and we spent a bit of time in China looking at what we could find for him to sell. Do either of you know any good classes or places for information on how to set up a good website that attracts people?

I am going to print out your thoughts for him to look at and see what happens next. Thank you so much for the advice.

Ann

#96214 - 11/25/06 07:34 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh girl...dont' even get me started on the Web site thing. I use Michelle Broschel, same person Dotsie uses and she is a delight to work with. Why do I pay? Because I want it professional AND I want someone else to take care of the headaches where I can WRITE!

Here are a few things I would suggest NOT doing:

1. Don't put music on the opening page. There are tons of people who open Web sites AT WORK. They don't want to announce to the world that they are goofing-off...not only that, it's VERY distracting when you're trying to soak up the message there in front of you. Remember, my time (joyce doe the buyer) is limited.

2. Don't put those annoying trailers that follows your mouse everywhere you go on the page. It screams UNPROFESSIONAL!

3. Don't settle for broken links on your site. Make sure all your links work. If I visit a page and the links don't work, I leave. Now if I'm in a good mood and have plenty of time on my hands, I'll try to contact the Webmaster and tell them. If not, I move on. One potential customer lost.

4. DON'T TELL ME (the public) YOU ARE AN AWARD WINNING ANYTHING. If that's true, then everybody on the face of this earth is...Show me the awards you have and THEN make that statement. To me it shouts "don't sign up for their newsletter" because you can take it to the bank that you are about to be hit every day, or every other day with an email trying to sell you something. No info, just a CANNED sales pitch.

5. Don't just sell them something, give them something, too. Give more "value added" than value gained. It doesn't have to be in the form of money. It SHOULDN'T be. But give your potential customers something. A free newsletter, a tips sheet...something for spending time on your Web page.

6. Don't treat your business like a hobby. It will show.

7. If you've had a bad day or sales are down, don't take it out on your email inquiries, even if they come to you as "snippy" ones. Always answer email inquiries with a positive, uplifting tone. It cost you nothing, but it will make YOU feel better, and your potential customer as well.

8. Don't forget to see what your competition is doing on a weekly basis.

9. Get a tracker for your Web page so you can get statistics and see how you're doing. VERY IMPORTANT!

10. Don't try to eat that elephant all in one bite. You will change, your message will change, so let your Web page grow as your needs change. Just because you have a Web page up doesn't mean that's all there is. I can't tell you how many times I've changed mine over the years. Mucho. It's a good thing though. Make sure the "NAME" he chooses for his URL or Web address is one that gets good hits on GOOGLE and the other search engines. What words would people use when looking for a watch to buy? Be creative, but make sure you choose wisely!

Hope this helps some. Oh gosh I'm so excited for him. Wandering off on a new adventure! How cool is that? And watches! I love it. Let us know how he progresses, k?

#96215 - 11/25/06 08:23 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anno, very great advice from Kathy and the queen.

Michelle's last name is Jakubiak, not Broschel. You can find her at http://boschelcreative.com/.

Something else that has not been mentioned is the fact that once you have a site, people have to be able to find you so site optimization is of most importance. That's something Michelle is very good at. She helped me get this site in the number one spot on all search engines for "baby boomer women."

If your hubby is seriously thinking about this, he should contact her and others to get estimates. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you do that. Another thing to consider is whether or not you should have a data base built for your site too.

Members of the NABBW get 20% off Michelle's work.

Please ask away if you have other questions.

#96216 - 11/25/06 09:58 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
What about Ebay? He is into watches and might be able to buy them wholesale and do a good resale business. I have two friends that are now fully retired, years earlier than expected because of success on Ebay. They both suggest dealing in volume; at reasonable prices, and not trying to retire on a couple of sales....
One man is buying up tools at garabe and yard sales and reselling them faster than he can find them....
My friend Sandy buys up odds and ends at sales and resells them cheap but still doubles her money....She and I go garage sale shopping and its a blast what people have for sale....

Edited by chatty lady (11/25/06 10:05 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#96217 - 11/25/06 10:23 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: chatty lady]
Anno Offline

You gals are great. I have emailed all these notes to Dennis. Hopefully, he will take some advise. Ah, tho, he is a man, now.

#96218 - 11/26/06 03:27 AM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Anno]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Here's a link that I've used when browsing around and dreaming about buying from China:

http://www.globalsources.com/

They have fantastic prices on many, many items, but you have to watch the minimum quantities and also do your homework on shipping and delivery costs. I haven't used any of them yet, but I've been reading up on it just in case I decide to dive in.

I've been told that many times they quote you to ship it to the port, but then you have to pay to get it from the port to your location.

Good luck!!

PS: I really need to learn how to do Ebay. I LOVE yard sales and it sounds fun to try to buy stuff and sell it online. Wonder how many people are really successful? I bet there's a lot by now.

#96219 - 11/26/06 01:04 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Anno Offline

Ebay overwhelms me now. When they first started, I would have fun shopping. Now you need to know exactly what you are looking for because there is so much on the site. It's just not shopping anymore.

But, I do think you can make an honest living on Ebay. I have heard of many success stories.

Thanks for the site and advice Kathy. It is nice to have friends that are willing to share.

#96220 - 11/26/06 03:58 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Anno]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Ann,

I subscribe to Mark Silver's newsletter. I really like his practical, low-key approach. He does have a series about creating heart centered websites. You can check him out at:

http://www.heartofbusiness.com/

#96221 - 11/26/06 08:13 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
Love what everyone has said. Will take the words of wisdom to heart in my own projects. Next, regarding watches .. I have a vision problem and need large numbers however only men's watches fit the bill. Problem is that they look like men's watches and not a dressy watch. There are many visually disabled women who could use his help. Please email me if you find the right watches and I will try to get the word out also. Email me at eldercareconcierge@comcast.net. Thanks.

#96222 - 11/26/06 08:23 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Anno]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
This is such a good topic. I would like to get more involved with selling my art on ebay. Anno, I do hope Dennis takes this advice seriously because it is so valuable. Dotsie, I am pleased with my web site. I went crazy setting it up myself 2 years ago. I would have used Michelle if I had the money. The fact that you have retained her services for all this time and through all the growth says a lot for her work! So I am going to email her right now for consulting work. I'm certain her expertise can improve my site. Kathy of BWS will help me with a presentation I do on domestic violence, and Chatty will get my breast cancer ms when it's ready for edit. I so enjoy having the talents of boomer sisters so readily available.

#96223 - 11/26/06 11:19 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Princess Lenora]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Thanks Jane, I signed up for his ezine and I really like the straightforward style he has. Very beneficial indeed.

Love and Cheers,
Cathi

#96224 - 11/26/06 11:33 PM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Anno]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Dotsie and JJ, I thought the web site lady's name is Michelle Jakubiak at Boschel Creative. Who did I email?
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#96225 - 11/27/06 12:12 AM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Saundra]
Anno Offline

Phyllis
He is a long way off from moving forward on this. He likes to research, think, research some more and then think some more after all of that. But, if and when it does ever happen, I will tell everyone and let you know what he has.

This has been a remarkable thread with so much information. Dennis went down to his computer about an hour ago and he wanted to know why I was sending him so much email. I emailed every response to him.

#96226 - 11/27/06 12:23 AM Re: Can you make REAL Money online [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

#96227 - 11/27/06 01:35 AM Re: Can you make REAL Money online
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Thank you, Dotsie.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved