The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#94994 - 11/13/06 07:13 PM Helping those in need.
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
There seems to be an increasing list of people who are in need of care. I thought it might be a good idea for us to list ways we hlep pur family and friends who need us.
I'm thinking of simple ideas like reading to the elderly, mowing their lawns when they are layed up from surgery, cooking them a meal, running their errands,etc.

Anyone else want to add?

#94995 - 11/13/06 08:36 PM Re: Helping those in need.
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Here are some suggestions based on my experience caring for my single brother who lives alone in an apartment building: do their laundry; drive them to doctor's appointments; when you bake cookies/squares, bring them a small plateful.

I recently went to the card shop and bought dozens of assorted greeting cards for various people's birthdays and anniversaries - my brother simply didn't have the stamina to do it. It's hard to buy those kinds of things for other people if you don't know the personalities involved, but I managed to match most of the people on his list with appropriate cards.

Another suggestion is to do some research and make phone calls to various available services (like Meals on Wheels, or the Cancer Society's volunteer drivers); in addition to that, some people might appreciate help with filling out and delivering forms that have to be filled out (this was especially true for our Mom after Dad died, and for my brother for work-related disability forms).

Even just a simple phone call some time during the day to see if they're okay (find out what times they're napping first and call when you know they're awake.) My brother sleeps all morning and rests on the couch for the rest of the day...phone calls are often his only lifeline to the outside world. I'm especially impressed by his co-workers who call him faithfully throughout the week just to say hi and let him know he's not forgotten.

Edited by Eagle Heart (11/13/06 08:39 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#94996 - 11/14/06 01:24 AM Re: Helping those in need. [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
EagleHeart, Every single one of those ideas are special and necessary. You might also rent some really good 'comedy' films for them to pop into the VCR and watch. Does he have a computer? You are just the best sister/friend anyone could ask for, I mean that sincerely.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#94997 - 02/26/07 04:20 AM Re: Helping those in need. [Re: chatty lady]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
I take some fresh fish to my elderly mother-in-law every time I can get to the Fishermans Co-Op. She loves it, and it provides me with an opportunity to check on her without being too obvious - she is staunchly independent.
She lives on her own, but has some great neighbours. They are all elderly and keep each other company, organise little bus tours, and arrange celebrations in the nearby hall for birthdays and special occaisions.
The other thing she just adores is photos of the grandchildren. Can't get enough of them!
We picked her up for a day out at the shopping mall recently, even though she mostly just sat and watched the passing traffic, when we dropped her off at home she asked if she could go again one day, she enjoyed it so much.
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#94998 - 02/26/07 05:40 AM Re: Helping those in need. [Re: SharonE]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Eagle Heart, those are wonderful ideas! Thank you for sharing them. Right now, my grandkids are my special people. I bring them Skittles from work, make a point of being silly and playful with them at least once a day, make them pancakes and bacon every Saturday morning and let them mix and flip, tickle and wrestle with them, listen to them read stories, meet other parents in the neighborhood and arrange playtimes, find out about Scouts, Royal Rangers, AWANA, and other good organizations for children, crochet pink and blue baby blankets because someone at work is enevitably pregnant,,,take extra food from my table to those in need, tell someone at work when they look especially pretty or handsome that day, listen to my co-workers with my heart and bring them a cup of coffee or a bottle of water when they seem to be needing it, send flowers to someone who just happens to pop into mind sometimes, tell my mom and dad at least twice a week how much I love them and respect them, dad is 81 and mom is 75.

#94999 - 02/26/07 12:44 PM Re: Helping those in need. [Re: NewLeaf]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
My elderly neighbor lives alone, and can no longer walk the distance down his driveway to pick up his newspaper, so every morning when I'm walking my dog, I place his paper right by his front door so all he has to do is open the door and pick it up. A small thing but he's always telling me how much he appreciates it.
I take him meals a few times a week, check to see if he wants anything from the store whenever I'm going, stuff like that.
When I go to visit him, or drop off meals, I take my dogs......he used to take care of them when we'd travel, back when he was in better shape, and he loves them like they're his own, so it always perks him up when they come running in with tails wagging all excited to see him. Sometimes all he wants is company -- unfortunately he spends too many hours alone, which I think is the case with many older people (and he has plenty of family in the area but that's another story).

#95000 - 02/26/07 07:25 PM Re: Helping those in need. [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Wow, CrossStitch, your entry brought tears to my eyes. You don't have to look far to see someone in need. Sometimes the simplest things are the most meaningful. I'm so happy for you to have the opportunity to partake in a blessing! How wonderful for you.

#95001 - 02/26/07 11:18 PM Re: Helping those in need. [Re: NewLeaf]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Around here, we shovel for each other in the winter and mow the grass in the spring, summer and fall. My older neighbors really appreciate this.

For mom I have been sending notes to her weekly, as she does not always want to talk on the phone. She lost her self assuredness. For dad, we take turns going to plays and the orchestra with him.

I know that I could do much more and look forward to hearing all of the ideas of each of you.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#95002 - 03/03/07 12:11 AM Re: Helping those in need. [Re: Anno]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
make home made soup for someone thats got the cold.....or semmingly misrable but slight bug. Ofer to do shopping when you go anyway (helps them feel they not puting you out) offerring to help with houswork during that time...

Even when girlfrends are fit and well but their a big task they doing like washing and rehanging curtains offer help that way. Po is reallie good at that stuff and much better than I.....I was reallie shocked the first time she offered to help with my housework when we first meet but it's a countrie thing they do heer...and it helps and passes the day with the other woman and tsaks and many enjoy it lol.

I good at phone calls to officals for other people...and i do so regulare enough...i meet outside work with addicts at lest 2 or 3 times a week and be an uniffical souding board, help with life...it's my area of specialitie and everyone needs help chatting bout life anyway.

other mums or younger people with kids offer to sit for them for appontments dentist doc etc...or just to give them an hour off....even go to play park with them so mum gets brake and companie kids someone else to play with...With young mums or frends with young kids i rather offer to go do a task with them instead of just having coffee as they so much to do and they so buisie you get to feel your participating with them instead of holding them back from doing something reallie busie.

I think i get involved with volentrie work or other people becouse i so far rom familie, all i do for them is talk on phone, so i got some tyime to do other things for non familie.
is this too long yet ???
celtic

#95003 - 03/03/07 01:46 PM Re: Helping those in need. [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sharon, company for the elderly is often all that matters. Your Mil is blessed to have you.

NL, I thought those Skittles in your purse were for your grandchildren. HA!

Crosstitch, your post reminds me that I need to do more for my elderly, lonely neighbors. Thanks for the reminder. You're a good girl!

celtic, I bet you're an awesome sounding board for those addicts. Good for you.

Anno, you are blessed to still ahve both parents. I only have my dad. Mom's been gone for six years this St. Patrick's Day. I'm having the family over that day for corned beef and cabbage. My maiden name is McNamara so when Mom died on March 17th we saw it as God's work.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved