The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#94230 - 11/04/06 02:46 PM Do the mood swings stop?
von62653 Offline
stranger

Loc: South Florida
I've been having a lot of mood swings since my period stopped in July. Actually, they don't swing that much, they are basically right there waiting for something or someone to trip the trigger. I was a huge PMS sufferer but recently I feel like I'm PMSing very day. I've tried Prempro but it brought my period back heavily 18 days so I went off them. I'm now going the holistic route (black cohosh, evening primrose, etc.) but it doesn't help much. I'm already on two anti-depressants and going to counseling.

I used to be a nice person but I snap at people at work (although I think they deserve it) and my sweety is getting very tired of my emotional tyiads.

What more is a menopausal woman to do?

#94231 - 11/04/06 02:53 PM Re: Do the mood swings stop? [Re: von62653]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Oh, I can relate! My poor family never knows when Mount Moody Kathy will erupt . . .

I wrote a small article on that issue that was published in our newspaper and is also on my website - you can view it here:

http://www.rickandjune.com/Articles.asp?ID=1

Maybe one of the suggestions listed will be something you haven't tried yet. Hang in there!! I find the best thing for me to do when I feel that anger coming on is to go for a long walk. It gets me away from the family so I don't say things I wish I hadn't, and the walk clears my head and makes me feel better.

Good luck Vonnie, and stay in touch with us. This forum is a great place to vent and get support.

Kathy

#94233 - 11/05/06 01:27 PM Re: Do the mood swings stop? [Re: von62653]
von62653 Offline
stranger

Loc: South Florida
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the tips.

To be honest, I believe most of my moodiness is coming because my new supervisor at work is young lady who's 24 years old. It's quite difficult to take orders from this little twit..er...I mean young lady when I've been in the workplace for 30+ years and she's barely getting her feet wet. Ugh - I know I'm the only one who can do anything about it but so far I hang in there during the day and work on my writing at night so that eventually I can become a full-time freelancer. Is the the golden dream or what??

I try to stop resenting this girl but she just gets under my skin and there's no way I can take a walk during work hours, although some days I feel like walking right out the door!

Oh well - thanks for listening, ladies. Writing this is cathartic.

#94234 - 11/05/06 02:47 PM Re: Do the mood swings stop? [Re: von62653]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Ahh, I understand completely. I was Director of a small Charter School for two years until I quit because the stress just wasn't worth it.

The teachers were all 22-24 years of age, newly graduated and full of themselves. When they discovered I only had a 2-yr degree - oh my God - it was all over. From then on out, they never respected me or my ideas or my work.

They had more education than I did, therefore they were smarter and better than I was and knew more. Of course, my 25 years of work and life experience meant nothing to them.

Not sure what to tell you Vonnie. Your supervisor is probably trying to do her job to the best of her ability and is afraid if she shows weakness or asks for your help it might signify that she doesn't know what she's doing.

But I'll tell ya, the older I get, the younger all these employees seem. I try to remember back to what I was doing at that age, and that sometimes takes the edge off. Because at that age, I was working and confident and trying to "go places" too.

Okay, stop me, I'm rambling....
Kathy

#94235 - 11/05/06 04:09 PM Re: Do the mood swings stop? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Just to pop in with another possibility for your mood swings. You say you are already on two anti-depressants. If I were you, I'd talk to your doctor and see if these need to be adjusted or something else tried.

Anti-depressants aren't a one size fits all kinda of medication. And, they don't work the same way all the time. Some times they "poop out" and lose their effectiveness after taking them for a period of time. I'm currently going through that right now with one of mine. But, there is a solution. Your doctor can help.

As for the extra stress you feel dealing with a younger supervisor with an attitude, writing does help. Too bad you don't work in an environment where you can take a walk for a break. But, you might be able to take a "mental break". Next time she gets under your skin, step away, breath slowly, and imagine yourself some place that always made you happy in the past. Think about this place. What were the sounds? What were the smells? How did it make you feel?

Don't let her invade your special place.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#94236 - 11/05/06 07:29 PM Re: Do the mood swings stop? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
On return to work after three months off following hysterectomy, all at work anticipated that I would be coming back moody. Oh, yes, I had occasionally snapped and been caustic with colleagues since my return. What riles me is that, when I am at loggerheads with someone at work, it is immediately attributed to mood swings when it should not be.

#94237 - 11/05/06 10:52 PM Re: Do the mood swings stop? [Re: Lola]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Yes, that happens here at home to me too. When I'm irritated at my husband who never does anything wrong, it's assumed my period is on it's way. Then I get more irritated at that assumption. Frustrating!

#94238 - 11/05/06 11:49 PM Re: Do the mood swings stop? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Pam R. Offline

Speaking of young bosses, how about young doctors that we go to? Have any of you looked at their diplomas on the wall of their office? Do the math and cringe! Many are the ages of my children. How did this happen? Seems like yesterday that I was that age!!

#94239 - 11/06/06 12:34 AM Re: Do the mood swings stop? [Re: Pam R.]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I'm so glad you're talking about this. I'm post-menopausal and still have mood swings. Thought about an anti-depressant but not sure I really need one. I know I don't want to add another pill to the list. Isn't life about the ups and downs? Are we supposed to hide what we're feeling and thinking, go along with the "crowd"? Isn't that why so many people drink and do drugs - to cover up their feelings?

Von, My newest manager is 29, I'm 59. He pushed too hard when he started and I pushed back with a memo to his boss and HR (I documented everything for two months). It worked and we get along now - most of the time! Hope it gets better.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#94240 - 11/06/06 01:24 AM Re: Do the mood swings stop? [Re: Saundra]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Kathy: Frustrating, indeed! Nowadays, I try to be monosyllabic so I can take a breather and not be seen to "snap". I've come up with a good way to go about it though...I let memos fly out of my desk!

Hi, Pam: Just fairly recently whilst out to lunch with a colleague, I remarked about how young the bobbies looked. Her retort was: "Well, it only seems to be because we're much older now". I cringed at the thought.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved