The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94144 - 11/03/06 12:52 AM Ugly Betty TV show
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
There's been a lot of talk about this show set in the fashion industry. I still don't like the title because it's negative, but I love the show. How many women are afraid to go for their dream because they don't think they look good enough and are afraid they won't be accepted? Betty got her chance by accident and she took it. She perseveres and gains the respect of her boss if no one else at work, yet. I see a great deal of truth in the writing and have related with this character. It's on Thursdays, 8:00PM, ABC. Check it out.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#94146 - 11/03/06 01:11 AM Re: Ugly Betty TV show [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am totally ticked off that anyone would name a show UGLY anybody! Its sad too because Betty is a sweet girl and is going to be the teacher of many lessons to her coworkers but the name is just wrong! I agree about all the cop and lawyer shows, although I am addicted to Boston Legal and several others.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#94148 - 11/03/06 01:39 AM Re: Ugly Betty TV show [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Oh Anne, I agree completely, the chemistry James Spader and William Shatner have and also Candice Bergan is unbelievable and they are histerical together.

#94150 - 11/03/06 03:43 AM Re: Ugly Betty TV show [Re: ]
Pam R. Offline

I totally agree with you Chatty on the "ugly" title of Ugly Betty. In my mind, it should simply be unacceptable. How horrible to call anyone ugly. And putting braces on her gives the image that they add to her ugliness. How terrible. How many young teens and even older are struggling with wearing braces and now equate themselves to being ugly. What the heck is wrong with those writers and producers? Oh right, I forgot...money talks.

#94151 - 11/03/06 01:30 PM Re: Ugly Betty TV show [Re: Pam R.]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I didn't watch it because it came on when "My Name is Earl" aired. I watch MNIE last week and laughed so hard tears were rolling down my face. It was the episode where his ex-wife stole a truck. This week is wasn't even funny. More than likely, I won't watch it again. Anyway, I think the networks are striving and conniving to find anything NEW that they can. They need to visit the Hallmark channel and take some clues....

#94152 - 11/03/06 02:04 PM Re: Ugly Betty TV show [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I've watched Ugly Betty a couple times and like it. I love cheering for the under-dog and she definitely is one. There are some great messages about the the working environment in the United States today - very sad, but true. Wouldn't it be great if it taught people to look beneath the surface? She is so genuine. You've gotta love her.

#94153 - 11/03/06 10:30 PM Re: Ugly Betty TV show
chatty lady Offline
Writer

"She us so genuine you gotta love her," is what Dotsie said and she's right, she is BUT why is that surprising? The comment brought to mind the fact that a person is judged by their looks, ugly or beautiful, and people seem surprised when they are genuine, nice, amusing or anything positive. Its as if beauty or uglyness makes one exempt (in our thinking) from normalness. Does that make sense?

#94155 - 11/05/06 03:21 AM Re: Ugly Betty TV show [Re: ]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Dotsie, I root for her too! The show is what it is,
but I think it does teach some to look beneath the surface.
I enjoy the little side stories...about her dad, her
boyfriend.... her sister and Herbalux LOL!!

We DVR it because it airs at the same time as Survivor, which
I will not miss lol.

#94156 - 11/06/06 01:56 AM Re: Ugly Betty TV show [Re: chatty lady]
Saundra Offline

I think the more we know about someone the more we can like them...or not.

#94158 - 11/06/06 11:56 PM Re: Ugly Betty TV show [Re: ]
Saundra Offline

Betty's father killed his wife's first husband because he abused her. Betty's father was their chef in Mexico and fell in love with the woman. He used a dead person's SS# and never applied for citizenship because he was afraid they would send him back. It's a great plot line and I may be too involved...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved