The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#90949 - 10/06/06 03:23 PM Anyone married to a railroad employee??
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Wondering.....

I may have some questions later.

Thanks!

#90950 - 10/06/06 04:39 PM Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
No, sorry.

This is miserable to post, but the only person I knew who worked for the railroad was killed on the job when he was in his early 20s.

#90951 - 10/06/06 04:45 PM Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee??
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Yes, I've heard stories like that.

yeah, it's sad...probably back when unions/regulations/dept. of transportion did not crack down on safety issues.

#90952 - 10/06/06 05:16 PM Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When we lived in Fox Lake, Illinois a resort town, my husband had a bar right next to the railroad not 50 feet away so we got to know all the railroad workers pretty well. They were always talking shop, retirement, hours, situations with funny customers etc., Some pretty nice guys.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#90953 - 10/07/06 06:16 AM Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Di: Railroad employee as in one who looks after the track or driving trains? One of my friends drives a train part-time and is a lawyer the rest of the week. He is living out a childhood dream and has been at it for two years now. The funny thing is, very few of his colleagues actually knows what he does the rest of the week when he is out of either work environment.

#90954 - 10/07/06 07:05 PM Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lola, we have a friend who is an optometrist, but plays in an Irish band with his brothers. He calls himself a cursed musician. He's much rather play music full-time and practice optometry occasionally, but, music doesn't pay the bills. I like hearing what people's hobbies are.

#90955 - 10/08/06 12:50 PM Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee??
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Dotsie: Is'nt it wonderful that they can pursue both? I'd love to be able to do that if only I could. As it is I need "25-hour days, 8-day weeks and a self-cleaning house". I would'nt mind driving a train as well. At least, I am guaranteed a seat when I go to work! Hope you're feeling much better.

#90956 - 10/08/06 10:47 PM Re: Anyone married to a railroad employee?? [Re: Lola]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
My husband is a freight train engineer (drives the train and blows the horn that everyone hates to hear) for CSX. He's 3rd generation RR and has worked for 32 years for the RR. He can retire in 5 years...he can't wait.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved