The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#90612 - 10/03/06 07:12 PM BWS print magazine
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hey Dotside, I keep seeing a BWS print magainze in my mind. It is originated by you, with your logo and colors. We boomer sisters write the articles. Hmm, I even know someone who sells ad space. Boomer sisters, what do you think about our Dotsie going into print? I'd support that!

#90613 - 10/03/06 07:25 PM Re: BWS print magazine [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynnie, I've thought of it. I already produce a full-size magazine monthly, but selling advertising is a whole other piece that would have to be tackled.

I have a local friend who publishes On Purpose Magazine for Women and what she tackles bi-monthly is huge. I know I'd need to hire many more people and I don't know if that's the direction I really want to go in. However, It is an idea I've given some thought to. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

#90614 - 10/03/06 07:50 PM Re: BWS print magazine
Princess Lenora Offline

Yes, it's a lot to take on, but I can't help envisioning the print product on the book shelves magazine aisle!

#90615 - 10/03/06 08:30 PM Re: BWS print magazine [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Yes, it would be nice, but it's a very expensive undertaking. Printing, mailing, administrative, photographers, columnists, graphic design, and on and on.

Did you know that a full page ad in Ladies Home Journal runs more than $200,000? Yup, you read that right. Even the tiniest ads run $40,000. That lets me out!

Kathy

#90616 - 10/03/06 10:00 PM Re: BWS print magazine [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dotsie, I'm not saying it is an impossible task, starting a magazine, BUT I was in advertising both magazines and newspapers for many years and it is a thankless and health destroying venture. Did you know that with all his connections and pull, John Kennedy Jr's. magazine 'George' was having production troubles before his untimely death. Also Judge Judith Sheinlan of TV's Judge Judy fame has been trying to start magazine for Baby Boomer Women for a few years now and has all but given up because there is so much involved, and money is no object for her either. You need an army of good people behind you and those types don't work cheap. Also few, if any big advertisers will spend their advertising budget on an unknown publication, let alone pay up front. Its kind of like the concept, you can't get a job without experience and you can't get any exsperience because no on will give you that first job....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#90617 - 10/03/06 10:36 PM Re: BWS print magazine [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

See what I started? Leave it to me to stir things up! It's just that vision of BWS at Borders that made me mention it, oh, and my faith in Dotsie as the pioneer leading lady of boomer women!

#90618 - 10/04/06 02:50 PM Re: BWS print magazine [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
This site is so wonderful and the email newsletters are just great and I think to take on something this big would take the energy away from it. If God wants a BWS mag, it's gonna fly into Dot's hands so easily, there will never be a question that it's supposed to happen.

A lot of mags are having trouble and being bought and combined with other mags and many long time contributing writers are losing their spots and it just sounds like a nightmare to me.

Lynnie, don't make me spank you! Good idea tho.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#90619 - 10/04/06 06:16 PM Re: BWS print magazine [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynnie, not to worry. It fine to have things stirred up every now and then at BWS. (Did I just say that?)

Jeanie Linders is doing the magazine thing for boomer women right now. It is one of the freebies for joining the NABBW. You can get a copy of one of two books, or a yearly subscription to me* Magazine.

Jeanie is the writer/producer of Menopause the Musical which has become HUGE. The magazine is given to everyone who attends the show so she has an audience of more than 300,000 women whicih changes every two months. As many of you know, I am on the Editorial Board of the magazine and met with them a few weeks ago when I was in Florida. What an operation Jeanie runs. UNBELIEVABE and all for boomer women. Check her out at www.menopausethemusical.com and http://www.memagazine4u.com/main.php.

#90620 - 10/04/06 08:10 PM Re: BWS print magazine
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh my Lynnie, never fear (Dianne put that hair brush away) you are an innovative, positive thinker and a magazine would be just great but I play devils advocate and having been on both sides more than once; I know some of the pitfalls and heartbreak, not to mention back busting problems that can and do occur. We have to walk before we can crawl and unless Dotsie has a bottomless pit full of cash or a money tree, forget about it!!!

Edited by chatty lady (10/05/06 12:58 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#90621 - 10/04/06 10:51 PM Re: BWS print magazine [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

All right already. I am more ambitious with other peoples' time (and money) than my own! I just have so much faith in Dotsie as a leader! So be it. (but when the print mag does come out, please remember that I told you so!) L, L

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved