The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#90603 - 10/03/06 12:46 PM ENOUGH
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Last night I chose to turn off the TV because I didn't care to see another shot of those sweet children with their horses in front of the Amish school. That is only about an hour and 15 minutes from here. For some odd reason, this school shooting really got to me. I guess it's because those children are raised in such an innocent environment that it sickens me to think of what they had to endure at the hands of a mad man.

Anyway, around 3:00 AM I heard a funny noise. It sounded like a neighbor closing their car door, but it continued. Kelly barked and my husband and I (in a half-sleep state) wondered what the noise was. It stopped and we chose to do nothing about it.

Five minutes later, we hear the police radios out front. Sure enough someone had tried to break into my elderly neighbor's home.

The poor woman heard the noise and came downstairs only to find a man's hand through the broken glass in her door with another man standing next to him. Can you believe it? She told them to "get out of here" then phoned 911.

Next time I hear even a peep in the middle of the night, I am calling the police. I feel badly. I wish I could have protected her in some way.

They found one man dressed in a trash bag and drunk. The other man still hasn't been found.

It gives me the creeps.

Dear God, what is this world coming to?

So today, instead of being upstairs with my foot propped up, I'm back downstairs and am going to have company so I don't get creeped out.

All I can think about is those poor families in Pennsylvania who have lived through tremendous trauma and will be creeped out about this forever. God bless each and every one of them.

Please pray for my neighbor...and be safe!

#90604 - 10/03/06 01:12 PM Re: ENOUGH
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well personally when I hear a noise in the extremely quiet neighborhood I live in and especially if the dogs growl or bark, I get my gun and go checking. I pity the fool dumb enough to break into my home and besides that, once awake, I survey the situation around my neighbors homes as well...I'm on the corner and can see them all pretty well. I have no qualms about calling the police, let them come and check things out...Better safe than sorry. Your poor neighbor, I hope she is alright and you are safe too. Remember our dogs can hear things much quicker and better than we can, I always check when they are acting up.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#90605 - 10/03/06 03:32 PM Re: ENOUGH [Re: chatty lady]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm reminded of the time I called the police because I kept hearing screaming coming from a neighbors apartment that was located over mine. The police came to my door and I told them I thought a woman was being battered so they went upstairs to check it out. They showed up back at my door - smiling - because they discovered the couple were watching the world series - that was the reason for all the noise. I felt very sheepish, however, I don't regret calling them, and would do the same again.

Dotsie, I couldn't stand to watch that scene either. Those poor children! The one thing I noticed that did warm my heart was that you could see various children and adults fold their hands and bow their heads - that's the only thing you can do in such a horrible situation - pray.

laurapoplin.com

#90606 - 10/03/06 04:45 PM Re: ENOUGH [Re: Daisygirl]
Pam R. Offline

Oh my goodness Dotsie, your poor neighbor. I often think of my elderly Mom when I hear stories like that. It worries me so. Imagine what they might have done to her if they got in? Even just pushing her could have been tragic. I assume she is changing the door so that there is no longer glass to be broken and new locks as well...I hope so.
We had a tragedy happen 2 weeks ago in about a mile from my home. Actually, we had 3 tragedies. All were teenagers: one died in a drowning accident, another in a high speed auto accident and the third was a girl murdered in a stabbing incident by another girl over a boyfriend. The kids all went to the same local high school and within 3 weeks, 3 died. The murder was something we never, ever see here. People are petrified although most know it was an isolated incident. It just seems it is so much harder growing up these days. I pray for all our children and grandchildren.

#90607 - 10/03/06 06:22 PM Re: ENOUGH [Re: Pam R.]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Another sad thing is the Amish do not like to have their picture taken. It's considered a sin. So, imagine the media swarming them all day long. Those poor children and their families. I've been so depressed over it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#90608 - 10/03/06 06:53 PM Re: ENOUGH [Re: Dianne]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I know, you would never have thought that violence would go to an Amish school. there is literally no place safe anymore. We all need to strengthen our faith and pray daily over our kids, grandbabies, etc.

I live less than 15 miles from where the lady slashed the new mom's throat and stole her newborn baby. The area was crawling with police and FBI--even the National Guard was turned out. I was prepared that they might do a door to door search for her.

You just can't even believe people are like this, so messed up. It's hard to fathom that people even think this way.

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#90609 - 10/04/06 07:33 PM Re: ENOUGH [Re: starting over]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Starting over, and I would have let them come search my home. I don't care. Just find the women, right?

Dianne, I thought the very same thing about them being on camera. That's another reason it sickens me. Now they're probably going to televise some of the funerals. I hope not.

Pam, I hope they have grief counselors available for the kids at that school.

Daisy, what a funny story!

#90610 - 10/04/06 09:09 PM Re: ENOUGH
Pam R. Offline

Yes Dotsie, grief counselors were brought into the high school immediately, according to our local newspaper.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved