The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#88114 - 09/12/06 02:45 AM Garden Bed
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently purchased a child's bedframe at a local antique store for only $30. It is green and weathered, just perfect for the garden! I shall set it up in the back yard, build a raised bed and backfill w/ soil. Will plant a few plants this Fall, yet will have this great raised "bed" for next spring plantings and seeds. Hope to find another next year and a pair, then I'll need a "nightstand"! This has become one of my favorite exercises and past times. Any other gardners out there?

#88115 - 09/12/06 12:55 PM Re: Garden Bed [Re: ]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Sounds really cute!! I'm not much of a gardener, but I love looking at everyone's creative ideas.

#88116 - 09/12/06 01:07 PM Re: Garden Bed [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What a great idea. I am a gardner, but not nearly as creative as you. Tell me more about your gardens.

I am a frustrated gardner at the moment because I can't garden like I want to due to my knee injury. Humph! Our two biggest gardens have a slight hill in them so I can't get around in there like I need to.

#88117 - 09/12/06 09:17 PM Re: Garden Bed
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Tip #1, Red juicy tomatoes are teeming with Lycopene - an antioxidant that the scientists believe can reduce the risk of many cancers, and help prevent heart disease. Boost 'em with Borage! Plant borage with them. It's an excellent companion for your crop, because it'll actually improve the flavor of the nearby tomatoes sweetness.....

Tip #2, look for smooth, firm, and fragrant tomatoes. Place partially ripe tomatoes in a paper bag with an apple or banana to speed ripening.

Tip #3, Don't forget about pizza and pastas, their tomato based sauces provide lots of tomato nutrients. Easy to make yourself as well. Begin by washing and coreing the tomatoes, cut away any bad spots. Put the tomatoes in the blender, or puree until smooth. Can or freeze the juice. Perfect tomato base for anything.

Edited by chatty lady (09/12/06 09:29 PM)

#88118 - 09/13/06 10:56 PM Re: Garden Bed [Re: chatty lady]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My soil is primarily red and white clay, which is full of nutrients, yet plant selection is limited. However, shasta daisey, daylilies, bachelor buttons, upright verbena, and knockout roses do well, as far as annuals and perenials. I've really become fond of the daylilies.

The flower "bed" plan will include zinnia, cosmos, shasta daisey, gallardia, salvia, yarrow, daylily, lambs ear, mint, etc. The "bed" will be raised about 8" and backfilled with soil and drainage, thus I hope to have some color next summer in the back yard.

#88119 - 09/23/06 12:34 PM Re: Garden Bed [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Mustang, your garden sounds magnificent. How do you choose what to include? Do you use magazines or flower catalogs to plan?

Since hurting my knee, I haven't been in the garden and it's killing me. I am going to figure out a way to get in there today even if I have to sit on my butt and scoot around. The things we take for granted!

#88120 - 09/23/06 06:02 PM Re: Garden Bed
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
What a great idea. I love using rummage sale items in new uses but would never have thought of that - thanks for sharing.

I too am not much of a gardener - though I do have a rose bush that grows like crazy. When my son was little we planted sunflower seeds and the ones that grew were like 7-8 feet tal with huge flowers - what fun - my son being 6-7 thought it was going to be like Jack and the beanstalk!

Donna

#88121 - 09/23/06 11:03 PM Re: Garden Bed [Re: 49erDonna]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I transformed my backyard into a garden and deck haven. It is my favorite place to be. Each summer I add a bit or two.

This summer I added a raised garden with a old picket fence that I picked up at a garage sale. I made a large oval (circle turned bad) and made a butterfly garden. I love it!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved