The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87740 - 09/08/06 10:04 PM 40th anniversary of Star Trek
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Any of you remember this ( I know it is a techey (meaning touchy) subject with youngish boomers). We had one tv in the house, and my parents had a tiny b&wh. set in their bedroom. I begged and pleaded to watch this new show on the little tv in their room, and to my amazement, they consented! There were very few shows they let me watch back then - but I would watch "Laugh In" and Dick Cavette. For some reason, the sitcoms I grew up on and loved (still to this day) weren't all about these new venues.

Well, have to say- and I hope some of you can remember, share and laugh with this - the first show just was so amazing, and so different, and a treat for sure- but when those big-headed pulsing brain aliens came on, I was scared out of my sox. For weeks after (even though that was my treat, to watch that show on their little tv in the sanctuary of their quiet bedroom, a treat I really was appreciative of, it meant they viewed me as a real person that had other interests...) those aliens shook me up, made me dream and nightmare of them....but still had to go back and watch! I grew up with TV, coming home from school and watching the last of American Bandstand from Phila. and Dick would say "stay tuned for the Mouse" and then the Mousketeers...but Star Trek was something totally out of this world to me. Loved it, watched it and all it's clones, and the movies, and had one son that grew to love it (after the Star Wars invasion, which rocked me too!),even went to one fan fair for all that (thank GOODNESS I wasn't so far gone as to dress a character!). Anyway, seeing it is their 40th anniv. thinking there may be a lot of closet trekkies out there that would have a laugh or share- I've grown past it but I do try to watch some of it sometimes, especially the hallmark episodes. It takes a lot of courage to admit you are a trekkie at my age!! LOL there.....give me a shout out if you know from whence I speak!! Thanks

#87741 - 09/09/06 12:00 AM Re: 40th anniversary of Star Trek [Re: judym]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
judym, if you ever come to Vegas you need to go to the Hilton and see the entire area decicated to Star Trek and its Trekies....I didn't really care much for the show, but my sons did, oh my yes...and I have to say the Hilton has done an amazing job of recreating Star Trek.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#87742 - 09/09/06 12:43 AM Re: 40th anniversary of Star Trek [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Oh my gosh! We have a poster on the wall in our home office: All I need to know about life I learned from Star Trek. We have the whole first season on DVD and have watched every iteration of the series since Day 1. And, we own all the movies! We haven't gone to any conventions, though, and don't dress up as characters. We were so disappointed when the last series was cancelled.

We periodically watch one of the first shows and have to laugh at the acting (can you call it that?LOL) and the tech effects. I think the show explored some very interesting concepts, such as respect for 'others' meaning people who are not like us. The themes were always fascinating for the shows and the movies.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#87743 - 09/10/06 12:27 PM Re: 40th anniversary of Star Trek [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have never watched one episode of Star Trek. Never. can you believe I'm an American? I am clueless when people start talking about the show.

judy, now Laugh In is a nother story. Goldie Hawn was hysterical.

Check out this link for a walk down memory lane:

http://www.timvp.com/laughin.html

Does it all come gushing back, or what?

#87744 - 09/10/06 07:18 PM Re: 40th anniversary of Star Trek
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I LOVED Laugh-In. My family watched it all together each (Sunday night?) week. I really enjoyed the wall of windows and the skit with the old lady with a purse. Who played that part, again. I know it was a guy, but can't remember his name.

Hated Star Trek too, but I know lots of Trekkies.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#87745 - 09/10/06 09:25 PM Re: 40th anniversary of Star Trek [Re: Anno]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My hubby is a bonafide trekkie, but only of the original series. I used to hate when he watched it but after a while, after I got to know the characters, they grew on me and I can honestly say I enjoy watching it now!
Live long and prosper!
In fact I've become somewhat of a Shatner fan and also love Boston Legal.

#87746 - 09/10/06 10:51 PM Re: 40th anniversary of Star Trek [Re: TVC15]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
They had a roast for William Shatner the other night with many many stars and some naughty comedians. Lieutenant Harura (can't spell her name) was there all dressed to the nines and she looked adorable. That oriental guy was there too, can't remember his name on Star Trek. But the entire thing was hilarious...They got old Captain Kirk good. The show is suppose to be repeated one night this week so check your local listings for time and channel....Yee-gads, I sound like a commercial...

Edited by chatty lady (09/10/06 10:53 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#87747 - 09/11/06 04:53 PM Re: 40th anniversary of Star Trek [Re: chatty lady]
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Anno, the old lady with the purse WAS a lady! Ruth Buzzi.
You bet your sweet bippy!

In My Father's house are many mansions...John 14:2

http://www.myspace.com/westernbluebird

#87748 - 09/11/06 10:52 PM Re: 40th anniversary of Star Trek [Re: Bluebird]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Judy: I love Star Trek as well but like TVC's hubby, I prefer the oldie. The aliens never scared me although I always wished for the gadgets they had. And what happened years down the line? We've got cell phones! Not enough to beam us anywhere but good as if you have video phones. I think Liza Minnelli's hairstyle at one time was also trekkie-inspired.

#87749 - 09/13/06 06:23 PM Re: 40th anniversary of Star Trek [Re: Lola]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Star Trek was one cool show. Laugh-In was a great, edgy show that made you laugh- and think!! \

How many of you remember Captain Kangaroo! Loved that as a child, glad it was still on when my sons were very young...what a gentle, happy place for kids to visit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved