The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#86609 - 09/08/06 04:58 PM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Eagle, both of you are in my prayers. You're such a good sister. Bless you.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#86610 - 09/08/06 07:54 PM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Shaon, I am sending a box of assorted sugar free drinks to you to have your brother sample. I hate Crystal Light, it leaves an after taste except for a few of them. Hopefully he'll find one or two drinks he likes in the group....HUGS

Edited by chatty lady (09/08/06 07:55 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#86611 - 09/08/06 10:35 PM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink? [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Chatty, you leave me speechless - well, almost speechless. I don't know what to say except a huge thank you for your kindness. I'm sure my brother will be very surprised to discover that someone he doesn't even know has thought of him in this way! And I know he'll have fun trying out these new drinks. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

(Maya Angelou)

#86612 - 09/10/06 01:07 PM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, thanks for caring for all of us so well. What a sweet gesture.

Eagle, every time I go to the store I find more sugar free drinks. Yesterday I found a big bottle of Crystal Lite. IT's the first time I've seen it in big bottles around here. ANd it's cheaper than buying a bunch of the small ones which was all we could get until now.

Stick with known brands and make sure you check the number of sugars. So many lite things fool you. Just because they are lite doesn't mean they are sugarless.

#86613 - 09/10/06 10:38 PM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink?
Eagle Heart Offline

That's funny you should mention that, Dotsie, because my brother has been finding that even the "sugar free" drinks are too sweet for him now. He's pretty much sticking to water all day and diet ginger ale for lunch. He's also been eating a lot of watermelon lately, because it soothes his chemo-related dry mouth. Every so often I'll bring him a new drink to try, but so far we haven't found any that he wants to buy twice!

(Maya Angelou)

#86614 - 09/15/06 11:31 PM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
You might consider the sugar-free jello cups also, or you can buy the box mixes to make them yourself. They're not quite as sweet tasting as the regular, but I really don't notice much difference overall. I have been diabetic for 10 years now. Also, you might want to know that the sugar free hard candies have sorbitol, which does have a laxative effect. Therefore I can't eat many of them, as I definitely do not need a laxative.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-MqWXjIM1eacjJ77q9wkswg--;_ylt=AgfbngzLT12FakAufPfu72G0AOJ3?cq=1

#86615 - 09/16/06 12:15 PM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink? [Re: countrygirl51]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hi country. Good to see you again. How's the nursing going?

You metion the sorbitol. I recall the tiem one fo my kids ate a whole pack of Velamints during church. Oh my!

#86616 - 09/30/06 01:09 AM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
So Sharon did he find any flavors he liked?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#86617 - 10/15/06 09:20 PM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Melissa Offline

As someone who is dealing with a very thirsty "pre-diabetic" chemo patient...he has been drinking Powerade instead of Gatorade because it has less sugar. Popsicles, and italian ices help with the thirst also. In the cancer center where he gets his treatments, they have canisters of lemon candies available for the patients. The tartness stimulates the production of saliva and he has a pocket full to suck on during his treatment. Of course, I keep bottled water by the case. He likes it in the freezer for a half hour or so to be icy cold. Says the coldness helps with the thirst as well.

#86618 - 10/15/06 10:41 PM Re: What Do Diabetics Drink? [Re: Melissa]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Melissa. Actually my brother's diabetes is almost non-existent now. He's still taking Avandia and Metformin, because the doctor doesn't want to mess his system up while in the middle of chemo treatments (and the steroid that he gets as part of the chemo does raise his sugar for a few hours). But he's able to eat and drink almost anything now without it affecting his blood sugar. He just added orange juice to his breakfast with no effect on his sugar at all.

Like your patient, my brother craves cold water. Since his appetite is still very poor, he also drinks at least one glucerna, usually before bedtime, just to be sure he gets his nutrients.

(Maya Angelou)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved