The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86430 - 08/28/06 02:56 PM 'full-time homemaker'
dejavu Offline
journeyman

Y'know, it's only recently that I've come to think of myself as a full-time homemaker. Up until now, I've considered myself a stay-home-Mom, or a caregiver. Lord knows, my home certainly didn't LOOK like it had a full-time homemaker until recently.

Now, however, I do have the time and energy to devote to my home and I really enjoy it. Last spring I replanted two large flower beds, and I have been improving the looks of the front and back yards bit by bit all summer.

I've redecorated our master bedroom, master bath and hall bath. I've helped my kids paint their bedrooms. Now I'm working on reclaiming the family room (long taken over by DD #3) and working on my spare room (vacated when DD#2 got married). I'm scrapbooking, putting our household records in better order, and planning a major garage cleanup when the weather cools off.

I really love my home. More than ever, I think. Since my mom's death, I really do treasure my family gatherings.

Luckily for me, my husband is totally cool with this. He has always urged me to do what I want, whether it was go back to college, work outside the home, work inside the home, write, or whatever. Also, now that our kids are nearly grown, I have the opportunity to travel with him on his business trips. We both enjoy that.

I feel like I've entered a new time in my life and - except for some concerns I mentioned in the 'reclusiveness'thread, I really like being a full-time homemaker. In fact, I really love it.

Edited by dejavu (08/28/06 02:57 PM)

#86431 - 09/11/06 02:11 AM Re: 'full-time homemaker' [Re: dejavu]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dejavu, I've done both, worked outside the home and was a stay at home mom too. I enjoyed both because they both presented themselves to me when I needed them. I love my home as well, it is my sanctuary and I like when I have visits from friends and family. I am happy they feel comfortable in my home and enjoy eating the treats I make for them. I couldn't possibly work outside my home anymore. Although I do go to the office a few times a week to pick up or drop off manuscripts etc...but that is more of a social thing for me now. I bet there are many here that feel as we do.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#86432 - 09/14/06 12:48 PM Re: 'full-time homemaker' [Re: chatty lady]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I've worked outside the home. For the most part I was a stay-at-home mom and enjoyed the opportunity. It gave me the chance to develop my crafty me, but also, my ministry. Now I take care of the clerical for my husband's business as I continue developing my ministry.

I'm always super busy. There's not a moment of "nothing to do". But it keeps life interesting! I thank God for each period of my life and the opportunities and challenges that came with it.

And... yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how to truly BE a full time housekeeper while doing the above .

Any ideas ?
NABBW & NAWW

#86433 - 09/14/06 03:49 PM Re: 'full-time homemaker' [Re: Songbird]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well Dr. Phil says that a full time wife/mother does the equivalent of two eight hours, full time jobs each day.

#86434 - 09/14/06 06:24 PM Re: 'full-time homemaker' [Re: chatty lady]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

Quote:

Well Dr. Phil says that a full time wife/mother does the equivalent of two eight hours, full time jobs each day.

Boy, that was true for me a while ago, when I had four kids at home and an invalid mom to care for. Now, the two full-time jobs have become one part-time, but I ain't complaining!

#86435 - 01/22/07 01:08 AM Re: 'full-time homemaker' [Re: dejavu]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I sometimes wonder if there is such a thing anymore as a true full time homemaker?

#86436 - 01/22/07 05:24 PM Re: 'full-time homemaker' [Re: chatty lady]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Since I no longer work outside the home, I consider myself a true homemaker/housewife. I do it all around my home, inside and out.....everything from cooking and cleaning to lawn mowing, car and house washing, paying bills, grocery shopping, feeding and brushing the pets, etc. All my husband has to do is come home from work and belly up to the supper table for a home-cooked meal. He does the maintenance and repairs if there is any to be done, but I am the chief caretaker of our home.

#86437 - 02/22/08 08:17 PM Re: 'full-time homemaker' [Re: Cookie]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
I am amazed to find this thread. I apparently belong to a very secret society. lol I have worked full time since the age of 15. Full time night nursing eventually became a way for my husband and I to raise our son without outside help.

When my son was almost grown, hubby had a midlife crisis and ran off with some young chickadee. What a shock! I spent time at home emotionally recovering from that trauma. After marrying a wonderful man I met on the Internet, I went back to full time working, this time in the corporate environment, until my job was deleted after 911.

I thought my 37 years of full time work would provide me with an independence unknown to many women in the fifties. Nope. I had put hubby #1 through college, acquired a lifestyle better than my parents had, spent quality time with my child while he was growing up, all the while working full time (mostly nights.)

When my hubby #2 said, "Don't you think it's time to make YOU a priority?" I was elated.

So I have been at home since 2001, enjoying personal pursuits I never had time for over the years. Yes, I make the bed every day. I do the laundry, shopping, bills, menu planning, etc. No, I do not do "immaculate housekeeping." Life is too short for that. lol We are not wealthy, but due to my diligent budgeting, we eat out a couple nights a week and have no credit card or auto debt. I miss the comradery of co-workers, but I can get a semblance of that online. I volunteer here and there, and listen to some friends mark their time to retirement.

When people find out I have no childcare duties at home, they ask, "What do you do all day?" I answer, "I worked full time at many jobs over the course of my life, one even a paid position. Now it is my time for me."

Online shopping, books, exercising, educational courses, hobbies, TV.....Each day is different. And if something happens where I must get back to the daily grind of full time outside employment, at least I'll have had this time for me.

Signed, A Very Happy Full Time Boomer Homemaker

#86438 - 02/22/08 09:28 PM Re: 'full-time homemaker' [Re: Josie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Cookie and Josie, I love hearing about your lives. You both sound very happy and proud of what you do and that's what it's all about.

I did preceisely what you two are doing from the time our first child arrived, until I launched BWS and NABBW and I absolutely loved it. I thrived doing the Mom/caretaker thing.

During the last five years, my life has changed. The kids are gone and I work full time from home and have embraced this too. I needed a passion outside of my family for this stage of the game.

Life works best when we are doing what we feel called to do at any and every stage of life.

Here's to women finding that call and living life to the fullest.

#86439 - 02/23/08 09:11 AM Re: 'full-time homemaker'
Mountain Ash Offline

I so love what you say Dotsie "at this stage of the game" for indeed there are stages.
I stayed at home from when my daughter was born then my son for 12 years. I did so much then.My friends were in the same position.Then one by one we re entered a workplace.During that time my energy was high..I did study at night school..sewed gardened cooked helped whoever needed a hand.
Then I started a term time only job in schools. I never had childcare..having same holidays bar the odd over lap.
I worked until three years ago.And resisted being at home at first.Then my days filled and I have a charmed life.I am on the cusp of a new era.I am a homemaker...again.
As the weather gets better I am plans for some trips with my husband.Days on the train...time to venture to places we have been happy in...just to touch the pavements again.
Every day is a bonus.
MA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved