The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8637 - 02/20/06 07:43 PM I need your input
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I've had a woman contact me as her parents are both abusive and she's financially trapped, living in their home because of the lack of a job. She has a ton of degrees and is over-qualified for most of the jobs she's applied for.

It gets really complicated and to put the entire story here would take two days. I suggested she start small and build up. Grocery clerk, retail, etc. but she says these jobs wouldn't give her living money and she'd still be trapped.

Do any of you have suggestions? I think she's a mental basket case from all the abuse too.

#8638 - 02/20/06 09:10 PM Re: I need your input
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Does she have children, Dianne?

If so, maybe she can utilize Housing Assistance, food stamps, etc. based on her income. If not, how about a room mate to help with expenses on a low income until she can survive on her own. Anything is better than living under those circumstances. Even a small one room apt. I once lived in a studio above a restaurant, really cheap and ugly. But after I got finished with it, it was a showcase and I loved it!!!

Search

#8639 - 02/20/06 11:16 PM Re: I need your input
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Once after a year of fighting cancer and a year of treatment I was finally coming out financially when I had a car accident that put me in a two week coma, surgery several times, then flat on my back off and on for a year. I had no car, no health insurance, no child support, and two kids. I had a house and enough property to disqualify me for welfare.

Someone told me that you sometimes have to hit bottom in order to bounce off and come to the surface.

I was broke and had almost no self respect left. I had absolutely nothing to lose so I started a search firm from my bed. I just started making phone calls to everyone in the world. I got referrals and information and wrote it all down. Within a year I had found enough people to pay the huge hospital bills and somehow came out with around a hundred thousand dollars.

I bought a commerical building and rented space to other businesses to make the payments and pay for my own space. I gave free rent to a guy to help remodel. Somehow from there, with the help of God, I finished another degree and built a lucrative military contracting firm.

I would never have done that if I had not reached bottom. Maybe some sort of sales or her own business would work for your friend. If she has no money, her product would have to be a service, but with her education maybe there is something she knows that she could sell.

Just an idea.

smile

#8640 - 02/20/06 11:55 PM Re: I need your input
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Good Grief Smile!!!

You must be one talented woman! And what a survivor! What's a search firm? And what kind of military contracting firm? That would be the very last thing I would think of.....IN fact, I'm sure I would NEVER think of it!

Search

#8641 - 02/21/06 01:01 AM Re: I need your input
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Gads, you're industrious!

No children so she was not able to get assistance. She did say that a life changing experience caused her to not be able to work for a while and that's why she ended up at her parent's home, who are extremely verbally and emotionally abusive.

I'm trying to sort out the story by many emails. She's 37. I suggested temp work.

#8642 - 02/21/06 06:01 AM Re: I need your input
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
My goodness Smile...your story is beyond incredible...I really really admire everything you have done for yourself and your children...what an amazing, inspirational woman you are!!!

#8643 - 02/21/06 07:36 AM Re: I need your input
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Smilinize, how incredible!!

Dianne, I hope she accepts temp work.
Any start is a good start if you ask me.

#8644 - 02/21/06 10:22 AM Re: I need your input
smilinize Offline

Dianne, I forgot the point I originally started out to make. Less than a year before the cancer and the accident, I left an abusive marriage. I thought the fact that I survived it all might somehow help your friend to know she will too.

A search firm is a company that identifies people to fill high level positions for a fee. I found doctors and healthcare executives then I went into contracting with military bases throughout the world for specialty services. I established clinics on the bases then they were run by physicians, nurses, and techs who worked for me. It was a lot of work, but the profit was great.

The search firm thing is something anyone could do. I learned it working for the Federal govt.

smile

#8645 - 02/21/06 07:16 PM Re: I need your input
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Wow Smile. You're amazing.

I haven't heard back from her yet.

#8646 - 02/21/06 09:30 PM Re: I need your input
smilinize Offline

Dianne, I am praying for your friend today.

Sorry I got off on my own whiney story. I just thought it might help your friend to know that people do survive bad things and like my friend told me, if she is at the bottom, the only way is up. She may have to get creative, but with effort and prayer, she can thrive.

smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved