The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 121 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#86147 - 08/25/06 01:27 AM Dropping like flies
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kids are leaving! Not only our own, but all their friends too. Every day/night this past week we have said farewell to someone. I wasn't in the forums today because we delivered our daughter to college. She's a freshman. Two down, one to go. I'm hanging in there. Hope everyone else is doing the same. I"ll be back posting up a storm again tomorrow.

#86148 - 08/25/06 05:56 AM Re: Dropping like flies
Happy Birthday Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hi Dotsie! Welcome to "your" life. You'll love it! Just a little tip...stay away from too sentimental music in the beginning...Hubby and I had a hard time with that. But then in a week the world looks brighter.

Edited by Hannelore (08/25/06 07:05 AM)

#86149 - 08/25/06 09:28 AM Re: Dropping like flies [Re: Edelweiss]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

My youngest daughter left for college early due to marching band practice. Tonight will be her first night home in 2 weeks, and she's staying the weekend. I'm so glad her school is only 90 miles away.

#86150 - 08/25/06 01:03 PM Re: Dropping like flies [Re: dejavu]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Dotsie, Having no children to leave home, I probably have no way to truly commiserate here. I know it's a bombardment of loss for you, and I can only imagine the pain of feeling those threads of connection stretching farther and farther away from you.

I do have one niece who has been an integral part of my life for the past 18 years. We're very close. As we keep having to postpone this year's family reunion becaue of my brother's cancer, she's just informed us that this year will be her LAST family reunion for awhile. When she finishes high school in June, she's planning on going to China for a few weeks and then to Africa indefinitely to do some missionary work (through her church's missionary agency.) The thought of not having her around at family gatherings and Christmases anymore just rips at my heart! So I have a small inkling of how this empty-nesting feels, albeit at a much smaller scale than a Mother.

(Maya Angelou)

#86151 - 08/25/06 06:39 PM Re: Dropping like flies [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

All will be well..
Mountain Ash

#86152 - 08/25/06 07:11 PM Re: Dropping like flies [Re: Mountain Ash]
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I've never had one leave for college but two of my sons have moved out. My 21 yr. old lives about 85 miles from us and our 18 year old lives here in town, about 12 miles away. But he is moving to NC on monday! I'm trying so hard not to be devastated and I'm doing a good job so far. I keep telling him that nothing in life is permanent and anytime he wants to come back, he is welcome.

In My Father's house are many mansions...John 14:2

http://www.myspace.com/westernbluebird

#86153 - 08/25/06 09:57 PM Re: Dropping like flies [Re: Bluebird]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Blue, isn't letting go tough? But it's what we're called to do as mothers. Hopefully he has a cell phone, and/or internet access. It really makes the distance tolerable.And would it be terrible if he saw you a little devastated?

Eagle, you must be so proud of your niece. She's making some pretty darn mature choices for her age.
Hannelore, funny you should mention music. A friend called this morning to see how yesterday went. She told me she thought of me when she heard a man on the radio request a song for his daughter whom he had just dropped off at college. She said they played Lean on Me, and all I could think was why in the world would he do that. Was he trying to make himself cry?

Mountain, I appreciate your simple words. I'll keep repeating them.

dejavu, enjoy having your daughter home this weekend. I'm sure you will.

#86154 - 08/26/06 02:33 AM Re: Dropping like flies
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Better going to college than Iran or some other country where there is no chance of seeing them for quite awhile. Or maybe getting into drugs and disappearing for years and you're niot knowing where they are or even if they are?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#86155 - 08/26/06 12:32 PM Re: Dropping like flies [Re: chatty lady]
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Absolutely, Chatty...and better than losing them in a car accident, like the boys in my town.

In My Father's house are many mansions...John 14:2

http://www.myspace.com/westernbluebird

#86156 - 08/26/06 10:14 PM Re: Dropping like flies [Re: Bluebird]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Maybe I'm too sentimental but I would prefer to think of the kids leaving home as not 'dropping like flys' but 'fluttering away like butterflies'. A much nicer picture in my minds eye, LOL....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved