The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#85802 - 08/22/06 01:53 AM Camping/Outdoors....
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
OK, I wasn't sure where to post this.

Does anybody watch the travel channel? Does anybody like to camp? Has anyone seen the show profiling the group "Sisters on the Fly?" A group of women (members nationwide) who camp and flyfish and just generally enjoy the outdoors?

Well, if there are any like-minded boomer women out there, check out www.sistersonthefly.com. I joined this organization today and there is a weekend event coming up in Georgia, in October. A weekend to camp with a little horseback riding thrown in. Not sure if I want to do the fly fishing (although when I was younger I loved to fish, so I'll probably give it another "go".)

I'm purposely looking for a new things to get involved in now, since my "posse" (group of friends) has evolved lately. I've always loved anything to do with the outdoors (especially camping and hiking and the like). And there is nothing like a fun bunch of women. Gal pals are the best!

Anyway, I just thought this was worth posting.

Whirlwind

#85803 - 08/22/06 02:49 AM Re: Camping/Outdoors.... [Re: Whirlwind]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I love what they are doing. I wish I had the money to join that caravan! What fun those ladies must have. I hope you get to do this Whirlwind. Keep us informed. I would love the fishing,and the hiking, but give me a Holiday Inn at night. Unless of course I had one of those cute trailers like they have on the site. I could have a ball decorating that, couldn't I? And I don't do horses...I'm terrified of them. But love to fish.

JJ

#85804 - 08/22/06 03:53 AM Re: Camping/Outdoors.... [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
They sound like they are having fun, however, I am no longer a camper. Relaxation for me does not include waking up at 2am, unzipping the sleeping bag, wiggling out and unzipping the tent flap, finding the flashlight, then tromping out to the outhouse, only to find I forgot to bring my kleenex with me since they ran out of toilet paper. Oh, and dropping the flashlight into the toilet is another good memory.

Give me a soft bed and bathroom within 15 feet and I'm a happy camper!

Kathy

#85805 - 08/22/06 06:23 AM Re: Camping/Outdoors.... [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I would love to go camping and roughing in out. However, as one grows older, the "ladies room" has become my refuge. I'll check in for the night at the Holiday Inn with the few others.

#85806 - 08/22/06 07:49 AM Re: Camping/Outdoors.... [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I love watching the travel channel. The tougher the area, the wilder the wilderness, the harsher the climate, the more I snuggle into my favourite chair and think…oh it's so good to be home.
I'm with JJ , Kathy and Lola; outdoors is fine; but a comfy bed at night is a necessity for me.

#85807 - 08/22/06 09:50 AM Re: Camping/Outdoors.... [Re: Edelweiss]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I used to do a lot of camping in my younger days. Working at a residential summer camp for kids for eight summers, much of my summers were spent canoeing to campsites, cooking over campfires and sleeping out in tents...nice on starry, starry nights, but even more fun in the pouring rain...NOT! (One night it rained so hard that everyone in our tent found ourselves floating out the tent door in our soggy sleeping bags - took us about 4 days to dry those things out!)

Hubby and I tried it a few years ago, but the bathroom was too far away...having to trudge the equivalent of two blocks several times during the night took all the fun out of it! (And there were no woods to pee in, what kind of camping was that?!!) Now give me a warm, comfy, bathroom-equipped RV and I could probably enjoy that better.

(Maya Angelou)

#85808 - 08/22/06 01:41 PM Re: Camping/Outdoors.... [Re: Eagle Heart]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

My best friend and I used to go camping with her folks a lot when we were teenagers. Oh man, those were great trips. Her folks had a pop-up camper, but half the time, my friend and I slept in her dad's Buick. And oh, the boys we met camping....

My husband and I have talked about camping, although yes, we would probably do the RV thing. These days, we need a good mattress!

#85809 - 08/22/06 05:02 PM Re: Camping/Outdoors.... [Re: dejavu]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Eagle Heart, that's so funny; "floating out of your tents."
We had a similar experience. We took our young boys (at that time) on a bike/camping tour. It rained the entire week. We set up our tents on soggy fields, between coughing cows, and croaking frogs. I sat straight as a candle in my sleeping bag, trying to avoid touching the mud around me, and listened to all the night noises including Hubby's snoring.
The boys thought the tour was an adventure, Hubby loved the nature stuff, and I ended up with rings under my eyes that I have to this very day.

#85810 - 08/22/06 08:29 PM Re: Camping/Outdoors.... [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Whirlwind, good for you for being a joiner at this stage of the game. I can't wait to hear about it.

There was an article in our local paper today about the increased number of fisherwomen which I thought was very cool.

I've also read several articles about boomers causing a rise in RV sales. Also, Harley sales are booming due to boomers and the old midlife crisis.

#85811 - 08/23/06 02:24 AM Re: Camping/Outdoors....
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Whirlwind, although we all just answered you with "give me a Holiday Inn" type answer, I think it's actually a fun thing your doing and I meant it when I said I would love to have one of those travel trailers like they're showing on the web site. Can't you just see one of those with a crown on top? Painted purple and goldish colors? Wuhooo!

Anyway, if you're going on that upcoming trip, please do come back and let us know how it was. I bet you're going to say you had a ball!

JJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved