The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#85152 - 08/16/06 05:08 PM Re: The Best Bedsheets?
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Have you tried LandsEnd.com? At one time, we had an pillow top matteress. I could not find sheets ANYWHERE that would fit the mattress even when the description on the sheets said they were deep pocket sheets....not! LandsEnd.com is where I found sheets to fit. They did not shrink after washing. In winter time, we use the flannel sheets purchased from landsend too......Ohhhh, how snuggly warm and cozy they are!

#85153 - 08/16/06 10:11 PM Re: The Best Bedsheets?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Dotsie, I read an article in Reader's Digest in a doctor's waiting room many years ago (and have wished many times since that I had photocopied it) that talked about "super-senser" people, particularly people with heightened tactile senses. As I was reading the article, I became quite excited, because it could have been written about me. It was the very first time in my life (and I had to be in my 30's by that time) that anyone anywhere understood that sock seams DO hurt to the point of almost not being able to walk, and bedsheets DO rub the skin raw, and some materials DO scratch me to the point of bleeding. It was such a relief to see someone finally validate my super-sensitivity as being real and not (as I was constantly accused of being) symptomatic of a hypochondriac.

But I haven't read anything about it since that article. "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine Aron deals with the same sort of thing, but I remember that the RD article particularly hit home.

(Maya Angelou)

#85154 - 08/17/06 06:00 AM Re: The Best Bedsheets? [Re: Eagle Heart]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Eagle, when I accidentally get socks with seams, I always wear them inside out! Sometimes you can't see the seams when they're in a package.

Poet and essayist

#85155 - 08/17/06 06:21 AM Re: The Best Bedsheets? [Re: meredithbead]
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
Eagle, I buy sheets called "sateen". They are soft, even when washed. They will wrinkle some but I don't get too worked up about that anyway - I feel good just to have them clean. I think the last ones I got were about 300 thread count. As with most fabrics, they come out pretty good if not over-dryed. I can usually find them on sale at department stores.

#85156 - 08/17/06 11:57 AM Re: The Best Bedsheets? [Re: flipperjo]
Eagle Heart Offline

Flipperjo, this last set I bought were 100% cotton sateen, 300 thread count. They're much softer than the old sheets that were on that spare bed. I think they came out so wrinkled because I had three sets of sheets in the dryer and the new ones may have gotten tangled up. When I rewashed the pillowcases and hung them outside to dry (which I'm not allowed to do because of our condo rules), they came out very nice. We've decided to keep them, because they ARE soft, and with the duvet over the sheets, who will notice the wrinkles anyway?

(Maya Angelou)

#85157 - 08/17/06 06:11 PM Re: The Best Bedsheets? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, do I see a condo fee coming? Are they very strict?

#85158 - 08/17/06 10:25 PM Re: The Best Bedsheets?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hopefully of you go into a condo you don't get neighbors like Dianne has....geesh!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#85159 - 08/17/06 10:40 PM Re: The Best Bedsheets? [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

We live in a condo townhouse complex. It's like a regular townhouse but we pay condo fees, which cover things like snow removal, mowing, garbage disposal, water usage, parking (with plugs for winter). We have a small partially-fenced-in back yard.

Yes there are some strict rules...hubby was on the condo board for a couple of years and we discovered how necessary it was for most of the rules. We're allowed to hang clothes out to dry, but only if we have the appropriate set-up and don't use the fences. Because we're on a corner lot, we CAN'T set things up according to the rules, because all of the cables and wires for all of the houses in our row go right through our backyard. So we can't dig holes, which we would need to do to install the right poles. So hubby fixed up a make-shift clothesline which we use to dry heavy stuff like towels and jeans. It's breaking the rules, but we hope that the condo board understands our predicament - and understands that in this day and age, it's important (and our civic duty) to do our part to save on energy usage.

(Maya Angelou)

#85160 - 08/18/06 06:46 AM Re: The Best Bedsheets? [Re: Eagle Heart]
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
Eagle, happy dreams on the soft sateen! and don't sweat with nightmares about the wrinkles!

I just made a duvet out of two sateen flat sheets. We sleep under the duvet, no top sheet, european style. So comfy!

#85161 - 08/18/06 01:39 PM Re: The Best Bedsheets? [Re: flipperjo]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
flipper, you really sleep in style!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved