The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#84674 - 02/10/07 11:53 PM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Conversations;

We in our peer group often wonder: Do women have a life outside their children/grandchildren?

I cannot tell you how many I, and many of my peers, have lost friends because women do not know how to hold conversations that do NOT include children. Granted,we realize that they are a huge part of your lives, but we long to have conversations with our dear friends without feeling like we stick out like sore thumbs.

Sadly we have nothing to offer. Granted, we are happy that you are happy. Remember; WE are extremely saddened by the fact that we cannot join in these conversations.

Please be considerate that not all the world had kids.

I am a woman who chose early not to have children at all. I do not regret this decision at all, it fits my personality and life goals. However because of society's still annoying expectation that a healthy woman should have a child or 2, even women like myself, start doubting themselves, despite the reality (I stress a reality), that they don't have maternal feelings..to raise children.

So it makes me different from you, Di.

I'm not impressed by women who want to become grandmothers. This is unfair to any younger woman who chooses to be childless. It is selfish to yearn to be a grandmother since the event is dependent on someone else becoming pregnant. I'm sorry. A younger woman deserves to define her future properly that develops the best of herself in a healthy way and enables her to give the best of herself to society at large.

As for socializing with women who have children, so far, it hasn't been a problem. Most mothers I socialize with, do wnat to talk about other stuff outside of children. Some of them want to socialize with me, I know, so that we CAN talk about work-related stuff, travel and learn from each other.

There are some mothers with grown adult children, who I wish would just pull themselves out of their young children-raising days and realize their adult children no longer need them...and that they are now free to develop their own interests/skills. But maybe it's just scary to venture to the big wide world.

I feel sad for women who have lost children to death, at a young age. It must be hard to outlive your own children.

#84675 - 02/11/07 12:43 AM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Quote:

You have no idea how my peers (and myself) are dismissed with "HOw can YOU understand...you've never had kids'!

Yes, we do hear that often! It's horrible.

I wonder if your statement just comes with maturity,'cause young mothers think they DO know it all! LIke they've "arrived" since they have given birth. And yes, we CNBC'er do feel they've lost brain cells or the sense to communicate with their 'old friends' who have not given birth. Can't ya'll hold an adult conversation without talking about kids???

IT's a very hard road for us. We feel like 'freaks of nature', getting the ol' "one eye-lid up" look...like we hated kids and we did not want them!

My goal is to educate that not ALL women have the pleasure of conceiving, feeling a baby (miracle) move within her, give birth and share that time with their loving husband.

It's a dream that never goes away since the time we were all raised/programmed with 'First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes ______with the baby carriage"!

As I was growing up, I never even was aware that there just may be a woman in the world who was CNBC. Not a CLUE,until it happened to me at age 36!

We want others to NOT ASK personal questions; in our minds (and yes, they are very different and can be bitter), when one asks IF a woman has children, it gets "into our bedroom scene" and is very, very personal and can be hurtful. If someone wants to share about their blessings, great. But, please don't ask everyone you meet! It could be one of us sensitive ones. We just HATE that question anymore.

It is not something we can 'get over'. For me, I'll forever be saddened by the fact that I was not able to experience 'it all'. Yes, I do have a full life, but i've had to MAKE it full FOR MYSELF ONLY.

Sharing stories of a daughter's first boyfriend, prom, prom dress, engagement, shower, wedding, grandchild will never be in my life. I live all of this in my dreams..but it will never be a reality.

Try imagining not talking about your children/grandchildren AT ALL for two weeks straight. That is how our lives are. Yes, we are busy...but we don't LIKE it.

And churches can be the worse place to be!. Some preachers have been known to say "you've never understood the true meaning of 'agape love' unless you've had children'. Or "God's highest calling is motherhood or fatherhood'. We do not attend church on Mother's or Father's Day, needless to say. We feel like strangers in a church setting as well. It's ALL about kids!! In fact, we'd love to start a church for oNLY those couples who were not blessed. Even single CNBC'ers have another set of issues,poor things.

Di, I really hope that you have another passion that has nothing to do with feeling childless or whatever.

I guess when mothers talk about childrearing or when a kid starts up a tantrum when I visit or look after them....for me...it's deja vu. It brings up memories of me, the eldest child who had to look after the little siblings. Not the same thing, but still it's up close exposure to little children and seeing stresses on parents. THe youngest is 10 years younger than I am, so I have strong memories of being babysitter at least once each day, singing lullabyes or lying down so that baby sister could nap in afternoon. Or helping mother wash children in bathtub. List goes on, since my parents couldn't afford to pay external babysitters.

It might have killed any warm fuzzy maternal instincts. Oh well.

So then, I went through a time where I couldn't loosen up to enage in goo-gaga talk with babies and little munchkins. Until nieces and nephews come along.

So occasionally I joke with my partner (who is 64): "Let's make a baby so we can see what s/he looks like". Now this is the last thing he wants, he already has 2 well-adjusted, adult children that are independent.

But really I don't need a baby to satisfy my curiosity, if I want to see what the end result of Asian and German blue-eyed union. I just look at a niece and nephew,products of a sister and her blue-eyed, husband. The children have medium brown hair and not surprisingly, dark brown eyes...

There is no need for me to educate anyone about how treat me better because I'm childless. If they knew what life was like for me growing up, they understand a smidgen why I made the choice that I did ....happily.

Peace be with you, Di.

#84676 - 02/11/07 01:06 AM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, I appreciate your point of view. I especially enjoyed reading what you have to say about women who need to get a life outside of their grown children. I was always so grateful for my mom and dad because after I married, I never felt pressure to be or act a certain way for them. They always enjoyed our company when we were around, but never put pressure on us to do things with them or visit a certain night of the week, etc. I hope to set that same example for my grown children.

Oh, and two of my chldren are Asian, so one day if they marry a caucasian, I may get to see what their children look like.

#84677 - 02/11/07 01:37 AM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children
orchid Offline

Quote:

orchid, I appreciate your point of view. I especially enjoyed reading what you have to say about women who need to get a life outside of their grown children. I was always so grateful for my mom and dad because after I married, I never felt pressure to be or act a certain way for them. They always enjoyed our company when we were around, but never put pressure on us to do things with them or visit a certain night of the week, etc. I hope to set that same example for my grown children.

Oh, and two of my chldren are Asian, so one day if they marry a caucasian, I may get to see what their children look like.

Yea, guess you have to see how future unfolds for your 2 adopted kids. Which reminds me of a different topic, I will post elsewhere later today or tomorrow.

As for mothers with grown children who need to get a life outside of children... I was a little amazed when an employee in my dept. said that she doesn't travel because she's been busy.

Well, I guess..with grown children??? I said to her: "But you have a car". She doesn't even drive into Vancouver. She lives about 20 kms. out in the suburbs. It's strange for me to hear this, when I don't have a car but have travelled.

We live in a beautiful part of Canada here on the Pacific coast. She's born in British Columbia, lived in Vancouver for 25 years of her life, but has not visited any of the Gulf islands (only 2 hr. ferry ride away) , etc.

#84678 - 02/13/07 06:43 AM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Orchid, when I lived in the middle of Oklahoma, I met an astonishing (for me) number of women who married very young and never ONCE traveled more than 10 miles from their home.

It's hard for me to understand because I've been to many places in the world and love seeing new locales. Some people are not curious about the rest of the world, and some people are afraid of it.

Poet and essayist

#84679 - 02/17/07 03:40 PM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Well for women who choose to be housebound (and no longer have young children), hopefully they are expanding their horizons in other ways. Travel of course , isn't everything. but if the woman is well-educated, college/university in a way, she is equipped with skills/motivation to learn about the world...already her curiosity was piqued before she had children.

When other women engage in talk about their children's accomplishments, well, in all honesty I don't feel hurt not being able to join in this intimate experience.

I just tell them I'm a proud aunt of a niece who is finishing her final year of geophysical engineering and is contemplating her master's. Her brother was a competitive swimmer at reigonal level....training 40 laps in pool at 5:00 am every morning... Then there's the aggressive little niece of another family who will wrestle down hard her 2 older brothers...

I am happy to observe frome the sidelines and cheer along.

#84680 - 02/17/07 03:44 PM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
hi just been reading throw this thread di admitedly for the first time....

i can relate to a lot of what your saying and felt emotional reading throw the posts around a lot of the points you weer making. I didn't have a biological child untill i was 35 or 36, multiple miscariges, never carrieing past 3 mounths.

Having lucien now, for whatever reason, some change or luck or just by chance i managed full term. I rember chatting the issue over with another tutor she couldn't have kids at the time and i still hadent had lucien. I had given up all hope of trying again at the time becouse the rise and dashing of hope was so painfull. we were having a private chatt just swapping situasions she said and i belive it to be true that in some way for her she hadent ever managed to become pregnant so had no focus to greve over...At lest i had my miscarriges. Not a good sitasion for either of us but it cought me up short...The outcome was the same (no child) but somehow i agree that her "type" of situasion and pain was in some respects more difficult, to negosiate in the world.

Choice is such a freeing thing...you can choise to do or not to do....When that choice is taken from you or you descover you never had it in the first place it's hartbraken. Maybee its the powerlessness, having no say thats an equley painfull process or situasion than the long term reality of not having a child.

In some respect when my partner had a child it would have been enough for me if that was as far as it had ever whent for me. I considered him to be equilly mine......One diffrence now in having a biological child, as much as that last child was mine, their is a diffrence. In how my other relatives view and treat him...Well at lest when he was first born. They did include him more and treat him as "proper" family compairring who he looked like etc.

For me now the main diffrence between the kids having had both experiences is the carrieing or pregnancy bit...after that it really dose stop with me.....apart from i always have him as a responcibility which can't be removed from me so i got more security.

thanks for posting about this di, i enjoyed reading the post and the bit of educasion i got even if i know and rember that experinces from the inside..

i am sorry for your loss and i am sorrie it still and probebly will pain you for the rest of your time heer. Despit still having a full and productive life

god bless ya di and all you do
celtic

#84681 - 08/23/07 10:55 PM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children [Re: celtic_flame]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Thanks for the previous honest posts. These discussions help me to place some pre-conceived ideas into perspective.

As a continuation of this thread...

Not long ago, a friend of mine made the comment about being "fertile myrtle". Now I am curious as to why women who have had babies consider fertility as a "badge of honor". In all honesty, that statement made me feel very inferior to her. It also makes me feel "left out" of the fertile world and not a "real woman".

In my opinion, fertility is not what we achieve, but what our body does or does not do.

Would anyone care to shed some light on this??

Edited by Di (08/23/07 11:11 PM)

#84682 - 08/24/07 12:09 AM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children [Re: Di]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Di, I think a "Fertile Myrtle" is neither a compliment or a dis. It's a biological statement.

My sister could get pregnant at the drop of a hat, er...I mean sp***. She was pregnant all the time, but only carried one child full term. I, have never been pregnant. Both by choice and by accident.

I, mostly, chose to not have children. You know the t-shirt that states, "Oops, I forgot to have children"? It's kinda me. I never wanted children, biologically or emotionally, and it just never happened.

I did adopt a grandchild, however. And I am in the teaching field. If you want to be around children, it's possible. It's not the same as HAVING children, I know, but it is rather nice having only the fun part.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#84683 - 08/24/07 12:46 AM Re: Educating about the lost dream of children [Re: Anno]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Di, I have not read this whole thread, but I will pick up at your post of 8/23. Maybe I put this in the earlier part of this thread, or maybe I was just thinking about this topic. What this is: ***By the time I thought I was emotionally mature enough to have children, it was biologically too late.*** I have never been pregnant, as Anno reveals, both by choice and by accident. At age 15 I declared I would never have children, and the aunts, cousins, step-mother who was gathered at that table that day, said, "Of course you will." I did not know it at the time, but in retrospect I think I did not want to bring another child into my screwed up family. Once, at age 38, for the first time I thought I might be, and my h and I actually got excited. I agree that fertility is a biological phenomena, and not an achievement. And, I don't think that having children defines us as women. I don't feel inferior. It is what it is.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved