The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#84577 - 08/14/06 03:47 PM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: smilinize]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Smile, I am passing this along to everyone I know with this problem. IS it only necessary to take it at the meals when you feel it the most? I wonder if it only bothers you at bedtime, if you could take it directly before going to bed? What do you think? And how soon before lying down?

I ran into a friend the other day and she is getting a degree in alternative medicine. I can't wait to pick her brain when she graduates. I'm thinking of having her do a teleseminar for NABBW. I think boomers are more interested in natural remedies than prescriptions like our parents' generation.

#84578 - 08/14/06 11:02 PM Re: Acid Reflux
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
CORRECTION:
I just checked with my husband and it's apple cider vinegar, not wine vinegar that he takes for acid reflux. I bought it, but I forgot what kind it was.

He says he takes it at no specific time, just whenever he feels the acid coming up in his throat. He says sometimes it kind of burns his throat at first, but within five or ten minutes, the problem is completely gone.

#84579 - 08/15/06 07:36 PM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: smilinize]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Got it. Thanks. And it helps to know he takes it when he begins to feel badly.

#84580 - 08/16/06 12:26 PM Re: Acid Reflux
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
My MIL has taken herself to the ER twice, thinking she's having 'the big one' only to find out that it is acid reflux. A slight case of dimentia has not helped with following her doctors orders - plus the fact that she changes doctors quite often.

An article (Sept/Prevention) "Beat hearburn in three easy steps" says that the most effective remedies for chronic heartburn (gastroespohageal reflux) are losing weight, elevating your head at night, and sleeping on your left side.

"Dropping an average of 27 pounds cut symptoms by 40% in one study - probably because weight loss eases pressure on the stomach, decreasing the output of acids. Sleeping with a 'wedge' pillow also reduced eipsodes. And people who slept on their left side and only half the reflux of those who slumbered on their right. .....right side sleep appears to relax a crucial muscle at the top of the stomach, allowing acids to reach the esophagus."

I'd show this article to MIL, but I'm sure she wouldn't remember a word of it by bedtime ;-)

#84581 - 08/16/06 03:49 PM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: browser57]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

browser, I've never heard of sleeping on your left side. Interesting. Maybe if all the suffereres sleep on their left sides, put their headboards on bricks, lose weight, and take an ounce of apple cider vinegar as needed they will be cured. All sounds simple except the losing weight part!

#84582 - 08/17/06 12:24 AM Re: Acid Reflux
Pam R. Offline

Browser, Glad your MIL was just reflux, but often those symptoms mimic a heart attack. I can see why she was concerned. I belong to Womenheart.org and you would be surprised how many women are and were mis-diagnosed with reflux when they were having heart attacks and had major blockages. Women present very differently than men and many male doctors don't believe us.

#84583 - 08/17/06 01:08 AM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Pam R.]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
That's interesting Pam. I do know women present differently than men, but hadn't thought about male doctors not believing us. I'll have to check out that website.

My doctor told me today that, yes, I am supposed to be taking the Zantac regularly. No wonder if wasn't helping much. He said it's to prevent it, not to help it when I'm having a problem. He should have explained it better when he told me about it.

Louisa

#84584 - 08/17/06 01:42 AM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Louisa]
Louisa Offline

Pam, is that website free? Do you get a lot of email? what are the advantages of registering on it? It looks interesting.

Louisa

#84585 - 08/17/06 10:47 PM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Louisa]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Theres a great article about this topic in the September issue of Prevention magazine...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#84586 - 08/18/06 12:51 AM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

Thanks Chatty.
Louisa

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved