The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#84567 - 08/08/06 02:22 AM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I was told by a doc that taking Prilosec would only work if I took it one hour BEFORE I ate, OR two hours after I ate. He was right. At least for me. I also have a hernia. The Nexium I took once a day, first thing in the morning, then I could eat anything I wanted. The Prilosec doesn't work as good and I do have to make sure I follow his instructions or it doesn't work at all. Malox DOES work for instant relief for a little while...but it always comes back and MaryLynn, you are sooooo right about the sympthoms. Mine were identical to yours. Still are.

By the way, WELCOME! Do tell us more about yourself, if you would like to...we're so glad you've joined us!

JJ

#84568 - 08/08/06 11:13 AM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I think it's the same way with the Zantac, JJ. Although yesterday I took it about 3 hours after breakfast which was less than two hours before lunch. I had pizza. The I took it right before supper and I did feel better last night. I'm going to try the same thing today. I have to start paying more attention to how I'm taking it and what triggers this horrible thing.

Louisa

#84569 - 08/08/06 12:47 PM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Louisa]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I would just about have to eat nothing but oatmeal to NOT have some sort of heartburn/acid reflux, unless I take Prilosec or something of that nature.

Even when I was eating healthier (read no Oreo's), I still had the AR, just not as bad. I think the hernia has a lot to do with it. Course I'm just guessing.

JJ

#84570 - 08/08/06 10:33 PM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Louisa]
Pam R. Offline

I have a little bit different story on acid reflux. About 8 months ago I had a very dry mouth. I almost felt like I had burned the inner skin from eating hot pizza (which I didn't). I went first to my regular dentist who sent me to an oral surgeon. He did a biopsy and found nothing but inflammation. He called it "Burning Mouth Syndrome". Some refer to it as BMS. Believe it or not, my cardiologist never heard of it. Anyway, it comes from stress, menopause and blood pressure meds. Of course, I have all three! I then mentioned it to my Gastro doctor while seeing him for a stomach problem. Of course he heard of it! And, he said it is caused by acid reflux. You don't have to have upper GI discomfort. It can bring the acid up to your mouth and cause other problems. So...now I have been on Aciphex for 6 months and the problem is gone! But how long is it safe to take these meds? Forever??

#84571 - 08/08/06 10:40 PM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Pam R.]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Personally I don't think it's safe to take them forever. But that's just my theory. I have a girlfriend who has BMS, believe it or not. She wrote an article on it but never submitted it. It must be terrible!

JJ

#84572 - 08/09/06 11:56 AM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

I never heard of that one. Wow. I took Aciphex for a while, but I didn't take it daily. I took it when I had the problem. It didn't help me much. I'm trying to take the Zantac twice a day now to see if it helps. It seems be. But, as you said, how long do you take this stuff? I'm going back to the doctore soon. I'll ask him then. I'm also back to the cardiologist in two weeks. I'll talk to him as well.

Louisa

#84573 - 08/09/06 09:47 PM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Louisa]
Pam R. Offline

Yes JJ, BMS is horrible. Your mouth feels like it is on fire - all day long. I got spurts of when it felt better than other times of the day but it was awful. Believe it or not, it happened right after I had my teeth cleaned. The dentist said it had nothing to do with it but I have read that a large percentage of people get it after a dental procedure. In my case, it really did get better after the Aciphex. So...I am guessing that the Gastro Dr. was right and it was acid reflux. They whole thing was very coincidental with the timing I guess. And the stress, menopause and BP meds just added to the confusion of what the cause was. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, a very uncomfortable thing to have.

#84574 - 08/12/06 12:16 AM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Pam R.]
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
It seems everyone you talk to either HAS GERD or knows someone that does ---

After being treated for allergies with 3 shots a week for 2 years, my allergist retired and I went to see another doctor. Yes, I had allergies alright -- but the horrible cough and burning throat he felt was due to something else. I went to see a gastro doc, had the upper endoscopy done and sure enough - silent acid reflux - GERD. It was so bad that it had scarred my vocal cords and esophagus.

He put me on protonex 2x a day and 300 mg of zantac at night. It helped for awhile, but I still had to pop rolaids several times a day and night. I can't eat fruit or soft drinks - anything with citric acid and even if I take a drink of water - it seems to churn the acid up and I start coughing terribly.

For the last few weeks my throat has hurt/burned so bad I thought I was coming down with a cold (my colds usually start with a sore throat) but it looks like the GERD is acting up again. Guess it's time to call the doc

#84575 - 08/12/06 03:32 AM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: lionspaaw]
Louisa Offline

That's awful, Lion. I don't have a cough or the burning throat, but it's the terrible taste I get. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I'm taking the Zantaz 2 times a day this week and it's helping. I'm going to the doctor next week. I don't want any of that endo stuff done. I know someone who had permanent damage from the test. I am beginnig to find out how many people have this. You're right. It does seem that eveyone you mention it to has it or had it or knows someone who does.

Louisa

#84576 - 08/13/06 04:07 AM Re: Acid Reflux [Re: Louisa]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My husband has acid reflux and tried everything without relief. Recently he began taking an ounce of wine vinegar after meals and at bedtime.

I know it sounds crazy, but it worked. The theory is that the indigestion is not casued by an over abundance of acid, but by a lack of acid necessary for digestion.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved