The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#84184 - 07/31/06 07:38 PM hip and knee replacements
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Looks like boomers are breaking all records. Due to our healthy, active ways, we are out-soing all hip and knee replacements of the Greatest Generation.

I read today that by 2030 the number of knee replacements in the US is expected to jump 673 percent according to a study done by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons' annual meeting. Hip replacemts are expected to grow 174 percent to 572,000.

This is no surprise to me. I have a friend who has already had a hip replacement, and one who needs his knee done, but is dragging his feet, living in pain.

I hope there are enough doctors and nurses to ake care of all of us!

#84185 - 08/01/06 12:09 AM Re: hip and knee replacements
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Why do you suppose that is? I think its because we don't do enough walking like our parents before us and theirs before them. We ride everywhere parking as close as we can, we use remotes instead of getting up to change the channel, we have drive in windows for everything these days, drugstores, banks, fast foods, cleaners, and they even have doctors and dentists that travel in Vans right to your door, geesh! Even some grocery stores and liquor stores have drive thru windows and now you can order your groceries online and delivered to your door. There is a saying that "if you don't use it, you lose it." You think???????

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#84186 - 08/01/06 01:14 PM Re: hip and knee replacements [Re: chatty lady]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I think you are absolutely right about that, Chatty! We have become "conveniently" lazy. I remember my parents and grandparents always walking places. My grandpa would walk his farm on a regular basis checking things over seeing if fences needed repaired, or if the woods needed cut back off of the fields, berry picking, mushroom hunting, cut grass with a push mower....not a rider. Yep,they did alot of walking. Still had thier original kness and hips at 93 too.

#84187 - 08/01/06 03:44 PM Re: hip and knee replacements [Re: Cookie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I don't know. The people I know hwo have, or need replacements need them becasue they have work them out due to so much exercise. One was an avid skier and the othera total fitness nut, runner,tennis player, etc. I think lots of boomers are wearing out due to the physical fitness craze we championed.

#84188 - 08/01/06 11:06 PM Re: hip and knee replacements
chatty lady Offline
Writer

"Six of one, half as dozen of the other." My momma would always say when there was more than one explanation for a problem.

#84189 - 08/02/06 02:45 PM Re: hip and knee replacements [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Must have been a saying for all of that generation. Mom and Dad said the same thing.

#84190 - 08/26/06 10:57 PM Re: hip and knee replacements
chatty lady Offline
Writer

My sons wife, now age 42, had her hip replaced twice, she grew out of the first repair job they did. This was all from her ex husband who repeatedly beat her and threw her down the stairs. Her entire hip is metal and or plastic....

#84191 - 08/31/06 01:31 AM Re: hip and knee replacements [Re: chatty lady]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
I think the difference with our 'activities' today is that they are often high impact in contrast to walking and working the farm.

High impact isn't my culprit--it's standing on concrete for too many years in hospitals and doctor's offices. Mine aren't that bad, just whinny.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved