The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#82523 - 07/13/06 11:28 PM Please Pray for my Brother
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
My brother has been feeling quite ill for several weeks now. He was diagnosed with diabetes, and has managed to get his sugar under control. But there seems to be something else going on that's making him feel miserable. Right now he's in the hospital emergency, getting a catscan and MRI. He's only 41, one of the kindest people on earth, and one of my dearest, most beloved best friends. I'm so scared of losing him. I know the power of your prayers and am asking that you add my brother Gary to your prayers tonight that the doctors will be able to find out what's wrong with him so they can begin to treat him.

Thank you...I've seen God work through your prayers and I trust that putting Gary into His care through your prayers will make the difference.

(Maya Angelou)

#82524 - 07/14/06 01:07 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Done. Hope everything goes well. And hugs to you. Stay strong.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#82525 - 07/14/06 07:43 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: yonuh]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
"When two are gathered in My name, I will be there". I join in prayer for you and your brother, Eagle Heart.

#82526 - 07/14/06 12:08 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
We're here for you Eagle. And prayers are being lifted up for your brother AND you. Much love, JJ

#82527 - 07/14/06 01:00 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Eagle, we're here to help in any way we can, and prayer is the most wonderful way to start helping, so count on us. Please keep us posted! May you experience God's unwavering care for his children throughout this time of need.
NABBW & NAWW

#82528 - 07/14/06 01:11 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Songbird]
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Glad I read this before my morning prayer walk...Eagle, Gary will get my whole Divine Mercy Chaplet.
And you get a ((HUG)).

In My Father's house are many mansions...John 14:2

http://www.myspace.com/westernbluebird

#82529 - 07/14/06 01:54 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Bluebird]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thank you everyone - your caring makes such a difference!

My brother was admitted to hospital - they found swelling of his pancreas and want to investigate further. He's happy to be there - finally - it's been a very long and frustrating road for him to find a doctor who would look beyond his diabetes and actually find the underlying problem to his recent misery! I believe that that's a direct result of your prayers - that he finally got a doctor who CARES enough to search for the problem.

He sounds very lonely, so I'm off to spend the day with him...hubby's got the car, so it will be a long trip/day getting there. I don't know when I'll get online again. Thanks again for carrying my beloved brother in your heart-prayers...it means so much to me!

(Maya Angelou)

#82530 - 07/14/06 03:42 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, please include me in prayers you Gary and for you as you venture out to help tend to him. I recall form your posts how dear he is to you. Picture God right there with you, your brother and the doctors and nurses as they continue to diagnose.

Ross and I are here for you if you have questions about Diabetes. Ross is a diabetic, as is our daughter. Ross also has many patients who are diabetics so please let us know how we can help.

Covering you in prayer girlfriend!

#82531 - 07/14/06 07:45 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Dear Sharon,
I'm beginning a special Novena to St. Anne for Gary today...She has never failed me...it's so sweet of you to be there for your brother...I know it must mean the world to him to have you be there as his guardian angel...
I wish I could do something more for you...
Love and ((( Hugs )))

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#82532 - 07/15/06 01:16 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: AvalonBlondi]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Eagle,
I saved this post for last to read in hopes that you had some news about Gary for us. When you get the chance, please let us hear from you dear friend. We're holding you and Gary close in our hearts!

JJ

#82533 - 07/15/06 01:37 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Oh my sisters, do you have any idea how wonderful and comforting it is to know that you're all there, praying and sending caring thoughts? I felt your support, and God's presence, all day, and I saw God at work right before my eyes.

After months of fruitless attempts to get help, my brother has finally found caring doctors to help him. It meant the world to me to see his new doctor come into his room this afternoon and spend 15-20 minutes with him, caring, warm, compassionate and listening. All I could do was sit there in grateful wonder and thank God for answering those prayers. We may still have a long way to go, but you have no idea how important THIS day and THIS answer to prayer has been for us.

His pancreas is swollen, and they will be doing a "simple" biopsy tomorrow and a more complicated one on Monday. How can I not ask for more prayers, having seen what God has done through your prayers already?! I'm so scared, but knowing you're all here praying is helping me stay strong and positive...and God is reminding me moment by moment that we have put Gary in His care, so to trust Him that He will take good (the best) care of him.

Thank you, thank you with all my heart for being here. It's a true blessing to have your love and support to lean against.

(Maya Angelou)

#82534 - 07/15/06 02:00 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
yonuh Offline

And we're still here, and will still hold y'all in our prayers.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#82535 - 07/15/06 02:24 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: yonuh]
chickadee Offline

Eagle, I have been praying for you all and I thought I posted. I am glad someone finally took notice and decided to do something for your brother.
luv
chick

#82536 - 07/15/06 05:30 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: chickadee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

We're walking beside you both. Love JJ

#82537 - 07/15/06 01:31 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I'm praying for all of you, Eagle. Please keep us posted.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#82538 - 07/15/06 02:09 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
You and your brother will be in my prayers. The pancreas could be related to his diabetes sinc eit is an organ that produces insulin. Thank God he had a doctor who cared enough to delve further, as you said.
Please let us know how he and you are doing.

Lynn

#82539 - 07/15/06 02:29 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Lynn]
Bluebird Offline

Eagle, I'm still holding him up before the Lord.
((HUGS))

Edited by Bluebird (07/15/06 02:30 PM)

#82540 - 07/15/06 03:46 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Bluebird]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Eagle, I woke up this morning and you were on my mind...know that I am holding you and Gray in my thoughts and prayers constantly...stay strong my Friend.

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#82541 - 07/17/06 08:02 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: AvalonBlondi]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Eagle, How is your brother? Any update? How are you holding up? (((Hug)))

#82542 - 07/18/06 12:18 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thank you for asking Nancy. He's not doing very well. And neither am I. He's very weak and it's very frightening to watch him getting weaker. They did a biopsy yesterday and are doing another scope-type test tomorrow. They're looking at a possible diagnosis of Hodgkin's disease.

Me? Very, very scared. He's only 42 years old. I can't bear the thought of losing him. I keep entrusting him to God, but that doesn't take that occasional breathtaking agony of gut-fear away. I just have to hold on until the official diagnosis comes in.

Thank you for holding me/us in your prayers. We still need them...now that he's getting the medical care he so desperately needed, can we pray for a miracle? That this will be something that's relatively easy to fix? Or at least that it's something fixable? God knows...help me to trust Him.

(Maya Angelou)

#82543 - 07/18/06 06:23 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Sharon,
I am so upset after reading your post...I can only imagine how sick with worry you must be for Gary...but please don't despair...trust in his doctors and hold strong to your faith in The Lord...I can assure you that I will be praying for a Miracle right along with you for as long as you need me too...

It's wonderful of you to be attentive to Gary while he is
in the hospital and needs support...but promise me that you will be good to yourself first...it's so important to everyone who loves you that you take care of you ....

Love you Dear Friend.....

#82544 - 07/18/06 06:59 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Bluebird Offline

Oh yes, we can and will, pray for a miracle...the children of the King have the right to ask for special favors.
((HUGS))

#82545 - 07/18/06 07:04 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

We're here honey, and prayers are continuing...Keep the faith. We'll help you. Much love, JJ

#82546 - 07/18/06 10:00 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
He and you are in my prayers. I've also entered his and your name into my Church's prayer circle....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#82547 - 07/19/06 01:30 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

I have felt such peace in my heart last night and today. My brother is still undergoing extensive biopsies and the prognosis doesn't look good. But as frightening as it is, I'm keenly aware of your prayers buoying me/us up throughout the day. It's a peace that passes my own understanding, given the circumstances, so it can only be coming from God responding to your loving prayers.

Even my brother seems to be feeling the touch of "Something" that he's never experienced before. I know he's deeply touched that you are all praying for him even though you've never met him! Thank you from him. I know he's frightened too.

Nancy, thank you for your love and thoughtful care. I'm making sure to take good care of myself. I incorporate "me-things" in with all the errands I'm running for Gary. Prayer-time, a little shopping for myself while I'm getting his stuff, I even took a wee nap at his place (on his wonderfully comfortable new bed that he just bought two months ago) while I was there getting some necessities. So I'm managing to pace myself well, and hubby comes and picks me up at the hospital every evening. His support has been wonderful too.

Anyway, thank you so much for your continuing support - I can feel it, it's making a difference in my ability to handle this gracefully, and in my willingness to trust that God is in loving control of Gary's situation.

(Maya Angelou)

#82548 - 07/19/06 01:59 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Eagle, sweetie, so sorry for what you are going through. Please know that Gary is in my prayers. In the book of James in the New Testament. There is instruction to anoint with olive oil. All it takes is a little bit to rub on him and pray over him. It is not the oil that does the healing, it is the obedience of doing that. The word for olive in the Greek is actually a Hebrew word "EliYah", these are two names for God, Elohim and Yahweh.

I also pray that you are able to find comfort during this difficult time.

Love and Hugs,
Cathi

#82549 - 07/19/06 01:59 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Eagle Heart Offline

Update: my brother just phoned me and told me that the doctors confirmed the diagnosis - he does have Hodgkin's. He's also being released from hospital today (yuck!) and then he'll have to go home (very weak and still very sick) to wait for the cancer institute to call him in there for treatment. I'm a little upset...they tell him one minute he has cancer and the next minute that they're sending him home! Ouch!!!

Could I ask for prayers again, not just for continued healing, but for compassion on the part of the medical system to get this poor guy the best care he can possibly get? What's the poor guy supposed to do, going home in this condition!!!

Anyway, I'm racing out there (by bus) to help him get ready to go home. Thanks again for your prayers and support - they're definitely helping!

(Maya Angelou)

#82550 - 07/19/06 04:59 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
positiveliving Offline

Loc: Wiltshire, UK

Hello Eagle Heart

I will send healing this evening when I prepare for my work.

'because life is not about the challenge' ?
www.positivelivingprogramme.com

#82551 - 07/19/06 05:58 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: positiveliving]
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
dear Eagle
praying for your brother and you
hugs
My Blog: www.ebenezerscribe.blogspot.com

#82552 - 07/19/06 06:38 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Evie]
Bluebird Offline

Eagle, would your brother object to having a pastor or priest come visit him at home? Some towns also have nuns who go to people's homes to talk and pray with them for whatever reason. Also, maybe you could find him a cancer support group.
((HUGS)) for both of you.

#82553 - 07/19/06 07:15 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Bluebird]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You got it Eagle...I can only imagine how difficult this is for all of you. I pray that you will find comfort in knowing that God will not leave your brother, or you, nor will He forsake you!

JJ

#82554 - 07/20/06 12:16 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Well, our prayers got him a one-day reprieve...we managed to convince the doctors to keep him in hospital one more day. He's now scheduled to go home tomorrow. I'll move in with him and stay there for a few days. He's still digesting the news. He'll start chemo next week, as far as I can tell. I'm amazed at how peaceful I am. I'm truly experiencing God's Presence with us. Thank you for keeping us in your prayers...I know there is so much need out there, thank you for including us on your prayer lists!

(Maya Angelou)

#82555 - 07/20/06 02:52 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Eagle, I will lift your brother up in prayer. God knows
more than the doctors and it's not over until it's over.
Please keep us posted on everything.
((((((Hugs))))))))

#82556 - 07/20/06 03:39 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: diamond50]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dear Eagle, I read this entire thread. I am so sorry your brother has been diagnosed with Hodgkin's and will go through chemo. What is the prognosis? Other than you, what are his supports? I hope the health care system rises to meet the need, and pray that God will guide the hands and minds as they bring your brother to full health. L

#82557 - 07/20/06 06:32 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Princess Lenora]
Lola Offline

Hi, Eagle Heart: Thank goodness your brother was allowed another day to stay in hospital. It leaves room to organise many, many things for when he is finally home. Praying constantly for him and the rest of the family. Please do get some rest yourself as it will not help at all if you should get sick as well. Our prayer circle for you and for Cathi's Dad is wonderful in that there is always someone praying at any time of the day. This is where international dateline truly serves our prayer circle. So, for each moment of the day, there is always someone with you in spirit and prayer.

#82558 - 07/20/06 12:29 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Lola]
Eagle Heart Offline

Lola, your posts are always so comforting. You really touch my heart with your assurance that there is always someone with me in spirit and prayer. Thank you!

Lynnie, I'm so glad you're back. I won't have much time online over the next while, but look forward to hearing your "hibernation" story. As for your questions, I don't have answers yet. We won't know how extensive the Hodgkin's is until he gets into the cancer clinic, hopefully early next week. My fear is that it appears to be quite widespread. But we just can't "go there" yet. We've been speaking with many people over the past day about what supports are available - things like volunteer drivers to take him to his chemo treatments (his car needs repairs before he'll let me drive it, and hubby has ours), "meals on wheels" which will provide hot meals for him, day-care help (aides who will come into the home and help him with housework, laundry, etc. I'll be doing all of that for him over the first week or so, until we get some of these things into place for him. After that I'll move back home (I can't be away from hubby for too long) and just go over several times a week during the day to help him out.

It's going to be a long road, but we'll just take it one day at a time. God is with us, and this too shall pass.

(Maya Angelou)

#82559 - 07/20/06 03:53 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

As time allows, please keep us informed. Know we are around you, covering you in prayers. You and Gary are in our thoughts daily.

JJ

#82560 - 07/20/06 04:04 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Sharon Dear...I know Gary must be so happy to have you with him during this stage...I think the "not knowing" what's next phase is always thje worst...once you and the Doctors get a plan of treatment in place he'll feel more at peace and hopefully optimistic...attitude is everything in the treatment of cancer...my heart goes out to both of you...and of course you are always on my mind and in my prayers...wish I lived nearby so I could really help you out physically...not just spiritually....Miracles do happen...keep the Faith...
Love and (((Hugs)))

Edited by AvalonBlondi (07/20/06 04:07 PM)

#82561 - 07/20/06 08:45 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Eagle,

I know how you are feeling, really I do. The waiting is always the most difficult part. Your brother is very fortunate to have you by his side. This is going to be a big factor into his healing, along with God's Hand.

Much love to you dear sister.

Love and Cheers,
Cathi

#82562 - 07/20/06 11:24 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thank you all once again for your continuing love. Gary's home, resting comfortably, and already gaining strength from the good home cooking. It was a hectic day, but again, peace and serenity surrounded me every moment of it. I'm so grateful to have you, my caring sisters to lean against.

Cathi, you and your Dad and husband are also in my heart. Be sure that I'm continuing to carry them in my prayers.

(Maya Angelou)

#82563 - 07/21/06 02:49 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, this was in my study this moring and I thought of you. I know you have been prayerful about your future and wondering how those prayers would be answered. Just think how torn you would feel if you had another major commitment right now. This is by Barbara Johnson:

"Live every day to fulfill your personal mission. God has a reason for whatever season you are living through right now. A season of loss or blessing? A season of activity or hibernation? A season of growth or incubation? You may think you're on a detour, but God knows the best way for you to reach your destination.?

Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you, your hubby, and your brother!

#82564 - 07/22/06 01:55 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie, I actually sent you a PM a few days ago about this - remembering all of our discussions on finding our passion, how I prayed and pondered and begged for my new purpose in life. The answer was always that I am exactly where I'm supposed to be, and when it was time to move into a new purpose, I would know it.

Well, I do know it. Helping my brother right now is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. It explains the recent "season of hibernation and growth", as if God was preparing me for this. He would have known that I would want to be there for my brother in every way possible. I have new energy, new wisdom, new courage and new serenity - all of which I will need during the next few months as I travel this road with my brother.

There's a song that's been playing in my head - I love the words in the chorus, and whenever I hear it on the radio, it feels like God Himself is aiming that part of the song at me, because it always seems to play when I most need to hear it:

(Trust Me, This is Love, by Tina Arena)

I look at this mountain
So many heartaches wide
I can't help but wonder
Where's the other side

I've got to be honest
I've got my doubts
And your tears are asking me
What's this got to do with love

Darling [I substitute "Father" in there] please, tell me something
To help me through this long dark night

Chorus [I imagine God speaking these words to me]:
When this trouble passes over
You and I will walk away
Knowing that our love
Survives another test of faith
You and I can walk on water
The river rises, we rise above
It may not look that way right now
Trust me baby, this is love

Love isn't easy, I'm torn, I confess
When a heart isn't certain
It's bound to second guess
This love won't forsake us
So dry your tears, I promise you

You and I will walk away
Knowing that our love

Here forever, there's nothing I want more
Our day is coming
And we'll reach that peaceful shore

You and I will walk away
Knowing that our love

One more mountain ain't so wide
Trust me baby this is love

(Maya Angelou)

#82565 - 07/22/06 02:02 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

I just want to mention here that my husband's sister just passed away today. We're heading to northern Quebec tomorrow morning for her funeral next week.

It's very hard to leave my brother right now. It grieves me to have to leave him alone like this. He's seeing the cancer specialist on Wednesday, then will probably start his chemo treatments very soon after. I hope we will be back home in time to help him through those first treatments, especially driving him to and from the appointments.

My husband needs me too, though, and that has to be my first priority for the next week or so, to help him through his ordeal.

So I won't be able to be here much over the next two weeks. I'll be able to get online once in awhile, and will be reading posts and trying to keep up-to-date with everyone and everything going on here, but won't be able to post much in the way of responses.

I'll miss being here. This is a quiet refuge in the middle of the chaos, an oasis. But I will carry you in my heart while I'm away, and I know that God continues to bless me through your prayers and thoughts!

(Maya Angelou)

#82566 - 07/22/06 09:59 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Hi, Eagle Heart: I am so so sorry to read of your sister-in-law's demise. My sincerest condolences. These days are really trying times for you and Cathi. Sometimes when we think that we cannot accommodate new shocking realities, more are thrown our way. In this condition of profound vulnerability, I join others and bow humbly to God in prayer that in moments of surrender to His Will it becomes the pivotal instant when He sanctifies with the strength, peace and healing so badly needed in the present times. God bless you. We are with you in spirit and prayer.

Edited by Lola (07/22/06 10:07 AM)

#82567 - 07/22/06 12:47 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, like Mom would say, "When it rains, it pours." I am so grateful you have your faith during these difficult times. Please feel the power and strength of your boomer sisters as you use this time to be there for your hubby. I'm sure your brother is stronger than you think and will miss you, but knows you are where you need to be at the moment. Happily covering you and your family in prayer with love! Stay focused on Him and His will for your life...as I know you do.

#82568 - 07/22/06 08:31 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh honey, I'm so sorry for you, your brother, and your husband. Our faith in God, even strong faith such as your own, can be tested under the weight of so much coming at us at once. I pray that your sweet brother understands and I'm sure he does. If he is anything like you, he's faith in God will make him strong! It will sustain him while you are away. Hold fast in your faith and find peace in God's promise to us all. Whenever you can, keep us updated. Your family here will be holding you all in prayer.

Much love, JJ

#82569 - 07/22/06 08:36 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Bluebird Offline

Sharon, my deepest sympathies to you and Andre.
((HUGS))

#82570 - 07/23/06 07:07 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Bluebird]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Eagle, may the Spirit of Love guide you through these difficult days. I prayer for your brother's health.

Poet and essayist

#82571 - 07/28/06 05:23 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: meredithbead]
Eagle Heart Offline

Just a quick update, from northern Quebec. We`ve been here a week, and are leaving tomorrow for Quebec City. Then back to Ottawa on Sunday or Monday. It`s been a very peaceful week here, full of family - and amazing food (my SIL is an awesome cook!). The funeral for my other SIL was yesterday. The church was packed, and hubby really enjoyed meeting so many people from his childhood days.

I`ve been talking with my brother every evening. He`s starting his first chemo treatment next week, and will be going for chemo every 2 weeks for the next 7 months. It`s going to be a long road, but we`re staying positive. We`ve heard from a lot of people with Hodgkin`s disease who not only survived but are still thriving decades later. So we`re very hopeful. Some have even told Gary that they had very little reaction to the chemo. Everyone reacts differently, but every positive thought gives him more encouragement to face this ordeal. He`s already thinking he will see what the chemo does by way of side effects and may decide to go back to work in a couple of months, taking just the time he needs after each treatment.

Thank you all for carrying us both in your hearts and prayers. We feel your care. This past week has actually been very restful for hubby in particular. I`m a few pounds heavier (oh, but it was worth it!), but hope to shed those fairly quickly when we get back into the fray of our day-to-day lives! Thanks again!

"See" you in a few days!

(Maya Angelou)

#82572 - 07/28/06 07:20 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, thanks for jumping in with an update. I've been thinking of you, hubby and your brother.

You are wise to stay positive. Can't wait until you are home and in front of your PC on a regular basis! We miss your voice!

#82573 - 08/04/06 12:21 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, how's your brother doing this week?

#82574 - 08/04/06 01:37 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks for asking, Dotsie. To be honest, I'm so excruciatingly frightened that it's almost unbearable. But I keep putting it all into God's hands, gritting my teeth and willing myself to just breathe and trust. So I'm constantly waffling between a strange serenity and this excruciating fear...quite a roller coaster ride.

My brother is still waiting to hear from the cancer clinic as to when his chemo treatments will begin. The waiting is very hard - you'd think that once someone's been diagnosed with cancer, they'd want to start the chemo right away to begin eradicating it!!

In the meantime, he's having a very difficult time fighting off infections - with the lymph nodes (the infection fighters) dysfunctional and the diabetes still not stabilized (because of the steroids he's taking to shrink the lymph nodes), his immune system is not working. When he was in hospital, he had a biopsy done - a tiny incision in the neck. Well, now that tiny incision has become a raging infection that he's having a difficult time getting rid of. The frightening irony doesn't escape us - that these infections could be more of a danger than the cancer itself!

Anyway, we're battling on, taking it one day at a time; my brother is upbeat, eating well, and enjoying his time off work. I'm a different story - while I'm very confident that God could and would heal him (whether through the doctors and medical treatments or by some divine miracle) if He wanted to, I've been disappointed before, so I'm having trouble trusting that He will want to heal my brother. I know He loves us, and it's not so much a faith-in-God crisis, but a reluctance to once again submit my will to God's will, knowing quite painfully what that could mean.

But I also know, from a lifetime of walking with Him that He really does love us and really does want the best for each of us (ie, abundant life), so I have to trust in that love and know that whatever happens, He'll be there through it all.

Edited by Eagle Heart (08/04/06 01:49 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#82575 - 08/04/06 02:18 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
(((Eagle)))

I recently went through a brother health situation as well. Also a lymph node issue. So, being so concerned about a brother is personal and familiar to me.

I'm empathizing w/you, dear! I know the worry and feelings that go behind it all. And my brother, too, was upbeat and courageous. Wonder if I would be that way facing such horrific news.

Anyway, just wanted you to know I understand.

#82576 - 08/04/06 08:02 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Songbird Offline

Eagle, I'm sorry for your family's loss.
What a beautiful song that is! Thanks for sharing those words. They are inspiring. Still praying for your brother and the entire family.
Blessings!
NABBW & NAWW

#82577 - 08/04/06 08:23 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Songbird]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thank you Songbird. I know that you're going through a time of grief as well; your prayers mean a lot to me.

That song continues to companion me. Whenever I get down and afraid, I hear Him saying to my heart: "When this trouble passes over, you and I will walk away knowing that our love survived...trust me, this is Love".

Last night, driving home from having supper with our granddaughter, there was a gorgeous bright orange sunset splashed all along the entire western horizon - my favourite kind of sunset. And there in the middle of nowhere across the darkening sky was a beautiful rainbow! Where did it come from??? It was too dark for a rainbow, and it hadn't rained, so it was totally unexpected. I took as a Gift - a reminder of God's promise of faithfulness to His people...that He would never leave me alone to face this darkness.

(Maya Angelou)

#82578 - 08/05/06 02:09 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Eagle,
Just wanted to say I'm holding you both close to my heart.

JJ

#82579 - 08/18/06 12:07 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

This is going to be a very long journey. I definitely don't want to monopolize the prayer request forum, as I know there are so many in need of our prayers and concern. But I hope you don't mind if once in awhile I resurrect this thread to ask for continued prayers from those of you who have the time and energy to do so, or for anyone who doesn't have enough people to pray for (as if!).

Anyway, this is a tough part of the journey. After all this time, my brother still hasn't begun chemo. It's very hard on him, very demoralizing and frustrating. So I would ask for prayers:

1) that God would give the compassion, wisdom and necessary knowledge to my brother's doctors so that they will treat him with care and the right treatments (eg, medications);
2) that God would continue to grant me the wisdom to know how best to be there for my brother on these kinds of days when he's feeling so down and demoralized;
3) that my brother will continue to find hope, perseverance and will to stay the course through every setback and disappointment along the way.

Thanks.

(Maya Angelou)

#82580 - 08/18/06 12:39 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Songbird Offline

Dear Eagle, I continue to pray for your brother and you too! This must be devastating! But some things that always come to my mind when in difficulties are:
1-"God won't let me bear more than I can handle".
2- "if he is allowing me to go through this trial it's because he still wants to polish me that I may shine for his glory".

Please remember God is with each of us during difficult times, closer than ever. That rainbow story is just another blessing!-God cares and promises to be "in the fiery pit with his children"-just as he was with the three young hebrews that remained faithful to him, even when facing death in Babylon. He will provide strength and comfort you as you need him.

Love and peace,
NABBW & NAWW

#82581 - 08/18/06 01:53 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Songbird]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thank you Songbird. Your (God's) words are comforting to me, who believes them and takes them to heart. My brother isn't as spiritually "there" yet, and can't quite handle "God-talk", so I have to keep these hopeful signs and words to myself, although I try to convey them in other ways, through actions and other words that don't quite include God's name (I'm getting very creative in that regard). I think my brother knows where I'm coming from and doesn't mind, as long as I don't fling God into his face right now. But knowing what comfort and strength God does give to ME, it's really hard to watch a loved one struggle through these rough days without that loving strength and companionship to lean against. But then, maybe this (the journey into God) is part of his cancer journey as well...

Edited by Eagle Heart (08/18/06 01:55 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#82582 - 08/18/06 02:33 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Amen Eagle. Perhaps you've hit the nail on the head with that thought for your brother. I can't hink of a better person for him to have planting the seeds for him. Let the Holy Spirit water them in His time! I'll pray for that.

#82583 - 08/18/06 03:55 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother
Songbird Offline

I'll pray that this seed grows into a beautiful plant that bears fruit for the glory of God. He does use life's curves and turns for our good. Your faith, Eagle, is shining and illuminating your brother's path. God bless you, and keep your light shining!
NABBW & NAWW

#82584 - 08/18/06 09:00 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Songbird]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Eagle,
I do hope you'll continue to keep us updated on your brother, and yourself as well. Christ said we should lead by example and this is exactly what you are doing. Keep the faith, sister...my prayers are with you and your family as you make this journey.

JJ

#82585 - 08/23/06 09:59 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Our prayers are working - a slim ray of hope today. After 4 weeks of disheartening delays and other health complications, my brother just found out today that he will be starting chemo tomorrow. He's so debilitated by fatigue and side effects from the constant bombardment of complications, but he's just so glad to be finally starting chemo.

My prayers haven't been so much about healing at this point(though God already knows that's the ultimate hope of my heart)...my prayers have been for the doctors, that they would actually DO something. Well, it would appear that he finally got in to see the right doctor today...he'll be my brother's oncologist and seems very intent on making up for all this lost time!

Thank you all for your caring prayers. God is definitely listening and working on getting my brother the help he needs right now.

(Maya Angelou)

#82586 - 08/23/06 11:03 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Sharon,
I'm so glad to hear this good news. Now they are taking proactive steps in the right direction to help your sweet brother. We will continue holding you both close to our hearts and the prayers will be lifted! Thank you for keeping us in the loop...

God bless, JJ

#82587 - 08/24/06 11:47 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Songbird Offline

Eagle: I'm glad to know something is being done, that's an answered prayer! I pray for strength for your brother. May he feel God's presence and enjoy peace!

Supporting one another in prayer,
NABBW & NAWW

#82588 - 08/28/06 07:37 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Eagle, how did your brother react to the chemotherapy? I spent so much time during my dad's first round searching for answers to having him eat. I don't know how your brother is doing with that, but here is what I learned.

The problem is not loss of appetite, the problem is the taste buds. My dad said that everything tasted like chlorox and water tasted like dishwashing soap. He had a metalic after taste in his mouth too. For that, it is best to use plastic utensils. Anyway, I was worried about my dad becoming dehydrated. I bought him some gatorade and tried to get it as cold as possible. I went out and bought him some popsicles and that seemed to do the trick. At this point, it isn't nutrition, but just getting something in their system. Rice was another thing my dad was able to tolerate. Most of all, eating a big meal at once is not comfortable, but eating a little bit at a time thoughout the day is more tolerable.

I don't know, I felt compelled to post this, and different people react differently. But the messed up taste buds is a common thing among those undergoing chemotherapy.

Another thing he discovered he liked was ensure mixed with ice cream.

Alright dear, let us know how your brother is holding up. How you are holding up.

Thanks for your constant prayers Eagle. This is so wonderful of you.

Cheers,
Cathi

#82589 - 08/28/06 07:53 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Eagle Heart Offline

Wow, Cathi, thank you for posting this today - my brother's appetite is nil, and his taste buds are COMPLETELY out of whack. He was not able to describe it to me, but your post will help me understand his situation a lot better - I'm printing it off and will run it by him in our phone chat tonight.

His diabetes restricts what he can eat even further, but right now I'm trying to encourage him to eat whatever he wants because he's not eating anything at all. He's enjoying fruit, but that puts his sugar too high. The only other thing he seems to be keeping down is soup and Glucerna, which is the diabetic version of ensure. I'll tell him about mixing it with ice cream (he loves ice cream, but is scared to eat it because of the diabetes), as well as the popsicles and rice.

Someone else told us that meat is also very difficult for chemo patients to eat while undergoing treatment. We cooked him a steak supper on Saturday - it was what he had a craving for. He almost couldn't keep it down, but did manage to eat a good serving. He particularly enjoyed the baked potato. Hubby made him some homemade zucchini soup (full of potatoes and other healthy veggies) and he's able to keep that down too, so that's good for him.

Please feel free to share any other tips - my brother's only just started. Because he's been having miserable side-effects from other meds, he can't tell how he's reacting to the chemo - all he knows is he is extremely fatigued, weak and no appetite - but that's how he's been feeling for weeks, so the chemo didn't make it worse or better! He goes every two weeks now, so we'll find out soon enough how he's going to react to the chemo.

Does your Dad "do" anything while getting chemo? I was thinking of bringing along a travel game next time - he likes backgammon and scrabble, and we think we can play those at his leisure - you know, play a few minutes, nap an hour, play a few minutes, nap for two more hours. Some people read, but he hasn't been able to read since his diagnosis (he used to be an avid reader).

I do know that he was VERY interested in my chocolate brownie that I so cruelly ate in front of him (he had already eaten his lunch)...if his appetite continues to worsen I may just throw all caution to the wind and get him his own brownie the next time!

Edited by Eagle Heart (08/28/06 07:55 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#82590 - 08/29/06 06:32 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Cathi is correct, in that chemo patients react to food differently.

For me, everything tasted like the bottom of a sewage dump. I wouldn't call it metallic -- just really putrid. I learned to dump chili powder on everything (although most chemo books tell you to avoid spices) because that was the only way I could mask the sewage taste.

I also threw up every time I tried to drink water!! But I could keep down watermelon.

It's trial and error. And a good idea to serve food in small portions, because the large ones don't sit as well.

Poet and essayist

#82591 - 08/29/06 12:10 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: meredithbead]
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Meredith. My brother is having a really tough time right now (and it's only his first treatment - six more months to go!) Nothing appeals to him - and like you, he's having difficulty even keeping down water because it tastes so horrible. But with his diabetes, his choices are severely restricted. He's craving Gatorade, but it has too much sugar in it.

We're going to bring him more homemade soup (he seems to be able to tolerate that very well), and he did express interest in shrimp when I told him we cooked some for our granddaughter last night. So we're going over there tomorrow and will cook him up a few shrimp and some rice and see how that goes. I'll pick up some watermelon too, that's a great way to quench thirst!

His biggest problem is an inability to sleep at night because of night sweats (a symptom of Hodgkin's). They keep him awake all night, then he sleeps all day, and now his body has gotten into that routine and he's unable to function much during the day. He doesn't have to work, so that's not a problem. But I am worried about atrophy over the long term.

Did you find that your body completely changed its sleep routines like that? He's so intolerably fatigued that he can barely function.

(Maya Angelou)

#82592 - 08/29/06 01:28 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Hi Eagle,

This is a tough one where the diabetes is concerned. Is he on insulin? Does he have a monitor handy where he can test his blood sugar level? Are there any sugar free popsicles available where you live? My mom has diabetes and I only know a little from her. I know she is not completely restricted to certain foods. For instance, she can have bread, but just a slice. She can have pasta, but only a cup of cooked pasta in a day. I am surprised his doctor hasn't given him a diet to go by. I am sorry I am not much help in this area. One thing that has been proven to be good for diabetes is cinnamon. If there is some way you could incorporate it in some foods that would be a benefit.

I have heard the same thing Meredith as far as adding spices is concerned. Some who undergo chemo have said that putting double the amount of spice helped.

It is important that your brother doesn't become dehydrated, and his potassium level drops. This is where the gatorade comes in. I would ask his doctor if it would be alright if he had a small portion of it. I don't know the specifics and what his doctor has told you. I don't want to tell you the wrong thing.

As for the sleep. My dad is having the same problems. His doctor prescribed him sleeping pills so he can sleep through the night. Night sweats can be a hindrance for sure. One must be careful of pneumonia when undergoing chemotherapy, because the immune system is very low.

Anyway, here is a forum I found that has helped me, it is cancerforums.net I am sorry you have to go through this. The diabetes sure complicates things even more.

As far as what to do while receiving the chemotherapy. Where my dad goes, they have a TV in the room so he is happy because he loves to watch television. So he watches television and sleeps alternately, LOL. I haven't been with him during the times he was receiving the chemotherapy, my brother has been helping with that. Good idea about the game though, I will bring a deck of UNO when I go, because I am going to be with him the next time. Anyway, this is what my dad told me. My brother and mom go out a little to grab a bite to eat and they bring him food. How long does it take your brother? My dad's is an 8 hour ordeal.

I am sorry Eagle I wasn't able to answer everything for you.

I just want you and your family to be able to get past this. Good idea Meredith about the mantra!

Cheers,
Cathi

#82593 - 08/29/06 01:42 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Eagle Heart Offline

Cathi, I'm so touched at your care and taking the time to write your experience with your Dad. You Do answer my questions...everything you write helps give me more insight into my brother's journey, so thank you!

I'm going to look into the Gatorade question. I mentioned sugar-free popsicles, but he wasn't interested at this point. But I may look into making homemade popsicles out of watermelon...maybe put the watermelon into the blender with something else (like cranberry juice?) and then make popsicles out of them.

I'd heard about the cinammon, but am not sure how to incorporate that into his meager diet right now. Maybe cinammon toast, or make him special cinammon cookies and cut the sugar in half. Thanks for the tip!

(Maya Angelou)

#82594 - 08/29/06 01:57 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Eagle, I love the watermelon idea. If I had to guess, if he wasn't to keen on the popsicle idea, then he probably won't eat it or like it. When I mentioned it to my dad he got excited about it. But still, I would try the watermelon and cranberry popsicles. If he's not keen on it, you can always turn it into a slushie. I know when I had my hysterectomy and I had to drink cranberry juice, which I can't stand, it tasted better as a slushie. Of course, a hysterectomy doesn't even compare to chemotherapy. But I am pointing this out for taste purposes.

As for the cinnamon, cinnamon toast is an excellent idea.

Cheers,
Cathi

#82595 - 08/29/06 08:38 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Wisdom&Life]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I am posting here instead of making a new topic because I hope we will all continue to pray for Eagle's brother. Eagle, try crushed ice. Sometimes people can chew on that when they can't drink water.

I have to ask for prayer for my friend's husband and for her also. I asked for prayer for him about three years ago when he was diagnosed with a fast growing brain cancer. His life expectancy was less than six months. He miraculously survived the hell of chemo and radiation and he seemed to have retrurned to his old self.

They were here visiting week before last (they live in NM) and he looked great. He was laughing and joking and as funny as ever. My girlfriend, has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and has been in great pain, but we got in the pool every day and it helped her a lot. We all laughed and had a great time. Dave was back to his old self. From here they went to Houston for a check up.

She just called. The cancer has returned. He is set for surgery tomorrow.

We need another miracle, an even greater one this time. The surgery may affect his speech and he may not survive. And if he does, the cancer is raging in his body.

I love both of them and I just hate this. Please pray for Dave. He needs a miracle tomorrow and for a lifetime. I'm not sure of the time of the surgery, but I intend to fast and pray all day.

And please pray for my friend. She has been through so much and her spirit is just worn down.

Thank you all so much.

smile

#82596 - 08/29/06 10:28 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: smilinize]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Adding them to my prayers as asked. How sad for them to think he was healed and now its back...

#82597 - 08/29/06 10:35 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

Smile, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and her husband. I'll add them to my prayer list too, and will especially carry him in my prayer throughout the day tomorrow. This is so hard to watch loved ones struggle through these miserable illnesses...how amazing is it that we have each other to turn to for care and prayer! Thank God again for this group of amazing women!!! I know I'd be lost without you all.

Take heart, my friend, we're with you in prayer and spirit.

(Maya Angelou)

#82598 - 08/29/06 11:55 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Smiles this just breaks my heart to hear this. You of course have my thoughts, prayers, and heart during this time. From our lips to God's ears. JJ

#82599 - 08/30/06 05:09 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
Songbird Offline

Smile, just letting you know I'm praying for your friends and their health right now. It's a terrible situation, a heavy burden to bear at any point in life. Please let them know we're praying for a miracle and for their peace of mind.

Eagle, I pray your brother is able to withstand his required treatment and that he reponds well to it. Praying for you and all involved too!
NABBW & NAWW

#82600 - 08/30/06 11:14 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Songbird]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

smile, please add my prayers to the pile. Have you heard how today went?

P.S. On a happier note...I think you need to have a boomer women pool party. I love hearing about everyone hanging out at your pool.

#82601 - 09/02/06 05:13 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother
Eagle Heart Offline

Janis, any update on your friend Dave? I'm thinking about you and continuing to carry Dave and your friend and you in my heartprayers today!

(Maya Angelou)

#82602 - 09/02/06 08:00 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

Quick update: my brother's still battling those strange fevers, which keep him awake all night, which is causing ever-increasingly detrimental sleep deprivation (the sleeping pills the doctor prescribed are not working at all!), which in turn is affecting his already-non-existent appetite. In short, he's unspeakably miserable. I'm so sad for him, and so helpless to do anything to relieve any of his discomfort. The doctor tells him he just has to keep working this out, that it will get better with every additional chemo treatment. But in the meantime, he's just feeling so miserable. I know that "this too shall pass", but it's so hard watching him suffer like this.

(Maya Angelou)

#82603 - 09/02/06 09:26 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I hate to interfere but the best place for any cancer patient today is THE CANCER TREATMENT CENTETRS OF AMERICA, no kidding, what they can accomplish treating "ALL' of the person, not just the cancer, is amazing, miraculous even.

#82604 - 09/04/06 03:11 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Songbird Offline

Still praying for you all!
NABBW & NAWW

#82605 - 09/04/06 03:15 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
Continuing to keep you and your brother in our prayers

#82606 - 09/04/06 04:47 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: 49erDonna]
Eagle Heart Offline

THANK YOU!!! This means so much to us.

I went over to cook him supper last night. When I kissed his forehead to say hi, he was scorching hot - so hot you really could have fried an egg on his forehead! It was scary, But these are the same fevers he's been battling for months now. The anti-biotics don't relieve it and he's not allowed to take any Tylenol or similar products while he's on chemo (because they might hide infections). So he just has to battle them out, which is why he's always so tired and drained. I've known about the fevers all along, but this is the first time I've ever actually seen him with one. It's no wonder he's so weak. Hopefully they'll begin to subside with more chemo treatments (that's what the doctor says will happen).

Anyway, hubby and I decided I should be over there with him, so I'm moving over tomorrow and will stay for several days, and then will stay 3-4 days after each chemo treatment. He has a computer so I can get online there while he sleeps. Thank you so much for all the continued prayers - we're very grateful for the support!

(Maya Angelou)

#82607 - 09/04/06 08:04 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Songbird Offline

I'm so glad you're able to help him, Eagle. And glad you'll be able to keep in touch too!
NABBW & NAWW

#82608 - 09/08/06 11:22 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Songbird]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, you are a dear sister and have a wonderful husband. Please remember to take care of yourself. All of you remain in my thoughts and prayers.

About the fatique...it could also very well be the diabetes if it isn't under control. How are his blood sugars?

#82609 - 09/08/06 05:31 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie,
The blood sugars were doing really well for the past week, but the doctor put him back on the steroid, so now his sugar has jumped back up - but he has a lot more energy and appetite today than he has had in weeks! It seems that we can't have both - good sugar numbers AND good energy/appetite. Without the steroid, which helps to shrink the lymph nodes that are affecting his pancreas, he has no appetite, constant debilitating fevers and no energy whatsoever - but his sugars are healthy. With the steroids, he almost has a normal life, but high sugar.

I think the doctor wants to concentrate on keeping his appetite and energy levels stable through the next few chemo treatments and is willing to sacrifice the sugars in order to give him this higher quality of life, which increases his food intake, energy and morale.

It's a juggling act right now, until the chemo can shrink those lymph nodes down to the point where he doesn't need the steroid anymore.

(Maya Angelou)

#82610 - 12/15/06 08:02 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother - Update [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

I wanted to write a little update to show you all what your prayers and care have been doing in my brother's life. Please know that your prayers ARE making an enormous difference. But then, you already knew that, didn't you! These may not seem like major things to some, but to us, especially to my brother, these are huge baby steps forward.

- although he's scheduled for 3 more (possibly 7) chemo treatments, his latest blood tests have been coming back CLEAN - so clean, that his doctor told him that "on paper, you're the picture of perfect health!" (but we're continuing the chemo to be sure that the cancer stays away). The CAT scan on Monday will give us a clearer picture, but I suspect that we're going to see a lot of shrinkage and possible even some ABSENCE of cancerous lymph nodes! What makes this even more significant news is that he was diagnosed at stage 4B, which statistically has only a 25% rate of success of treatment. He was just on the verge of being too far gone to be treatable at all...

- even the diabetes seems to be gone. The doctor's keeping him on the meds while he's undergoing chemo, just to be sure. But we've been introducing a lot of his old favourite foods, and nothing is affecting the sugar except the steroid he has to take with the chemo. Even a chocolate brownie doesn't affect his sugar! Brother is VERY happy about that, but is in no hurry to get back into the old sweet habit he used to be in. Guess he learned a lesson?

- my brother has been immobilized for much of the past six months; lately he's been able to get out to the mailbox down the street to mail Christmas cards. The other night he drove himself to a friend's house to deliver Christmas gifts. He couldn't get out of the car and walk, but he was at least able to drive there and back home with no problem.

- his appetite has been dismal for months. Lately he's been requesting specific meals (which makes it so much easier for me to cook for him, so that's a double blessing - for him and definitely for me too!)

- he actually got down on the floor today to wrap Christmas gifts. He went slowly, and had to go lie down afterward, but really enjoyed it.

- he's finally feeling bored (which is probably a good sign). He's still not mobile enough to get out and about, so I'm scouring the Internet to find things for him to do (like trivia quizzes, jigsaw puzzles, games, etc). Just having even that little bit of energy to seek out things to do is an amazing sign of progress.

We still have a long way to go, but these are such hopeful signs, I had to share them with you, since you're all the ones praying for him - and God is listening!!! Hallelujah!

Edited by Eagle Heart (12/15/06 08:07 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved