The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 133 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#82603 - 09/02/06 09:26 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I hate to interfere but the best place for any cancer patient today is THE CANCER TREATMENT CENTETRS OF AMERICA, no kidding, what they can accomplish treating "ALL' of the person, not just the cancer, is amazing, miraculous even.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#82604 - 09/04/06 03:11 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Still praying for you all!
NABBW & NAWW

#82605 - 09/04/06 03:15 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: jawjaw]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
Continuing to keep you and your brother in our prayers

#82606 - 09/04/06 04:47 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: 49erDonna]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
THANK YOU!!! This means so much to us.

I went over to cook him supper last night. When I kissed his forehead to say hi, he was scorching hot - so hot you really could have fried an egg on his forehead! It was scary, But these are the same fevers he's been battling for months now. The anti-biotics don't relieve it and he's not allowed to take any Tylenol or similar products while he's on chemo (because they might hide infections). So he just has to battle them out, which is why he's always so tired and drained. I've known about the fevers all along, but this is the first time I've ever actually seen him with one. It's no wonder he's so weak. Hopefully they'll begin to subside with more chemo treatments (that's what the doctor says will happen).

Anyway, hubby and I decided I should be over there with him, so I'm moving over tomorrow and will stay for several days, and then will stay 3-4 days after each chemo treatment. He has a computer so I can get online there while he sleeps. Thank you so much for all the continued prayers - we're very grateful for the support!

(Maya Angelou)

#82607 - 09/04/06 08:04 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I'm so glad you're able to help him, Eagle. And glad you'll be able to keep in touch too!
NABBW & NAWW

#82608 - 09/08/06 11:22 AM Re: Please Pray for my Brother [Re: Songbird]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, you are a dear sister and have a wonderful husband. Please remember to take care of yourself. All of you remain in my thoughts and prayers.

About the fatique...it could also very well be the diabetes if it isn't under control. How are his blood sugars?

#82609 - 09/08/06 05:31 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie,
The blood sugars were doing really well for the past week, but the doctor put him back on the steroid, so now his sugar has jumped back up - but he has a lot more energy and appetite today than he has had in weeks! It seems that we can't have both - good sugar numbers AND good energy/appetite. Without the steroid, which helps to shrink the lymph nodes that are affecting his pancreas, he has no appetite, constant debilitating fevers and no energy whatsoever - but his sugars are healthy. With the steroids, he almost has a normal life, but high sugar.

I think the doctor wants to concentrate on keeping his appetite and energy levels stable through the next few chemo treatments and is willing to sacrifice the sugars in order to give him this higher quality of life, which increases his food intake, energy and morale.

It's a juggling act right now, until the chemo can shrink those lymph nodes down to the point where he doesn't need the steroid anymore.

(Maya Angelou)

#82610 - 12/15/06 08:02 PM Re: Please Pray for my Brother - Update [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

I wanted to write a little update to show you all what your prayers and care have been doing in my brother's life. Please know that your prayers ARE making an enormous difference. But then, you already knew that, didn't you! These may not seem like major things to some, but to us, especially to my brother, these are huge baby steps forward.

- although he's scheduled for 3 more (possibly 7) chemo treatments, his latest blood tests have been coming back CLEAN - so clean, that his doctor told him that "on paper, you're the picture of perfect health!" (but we're continuing the chemo to be sure that the cancer stays away). The CAT scan on Monday will give us a clearer picture, but I suspect that we're going to see a lot of shrinkage and possible even some ABSENCE of cancerous lymph nodes! What makes this even more significant news is that he was diagnosed at stage 4B, which statistically has only a 25% rate of success of treatment. He was just on the verge of being too far gone to be treatable at all...

- even the diabetes seems to be gone. The doctor's keeping him on the meds while he's undergoing chemo, just to be sure. But we've been introducing a lot of his old favourite foods, and nothing is affecting the sugar except the steroid he has to take with the chemo. Even a chocolate brownie doesn't affect his sugar! Brother is VERY happy about that, but is in no hurry to get back into the old sweet habit he used to be in. Guess he learned a lesson?

- my brother has been immobilized for much of the past six months; lately he's been able to get out to the mailbox down the street to mail Christmas cards. The other night he drove himself to a friend's house to deliver Christmas gifts. He couldn't get out of the car and walk, but he was at least able to drive there and back home with no problem.

- his appetite has been dismal for months. Lately he's been requesting specific meals (which makes it so much easier for me to cook for him, so that's a double blessing - for him and definitely for me too!)

- he actually got down on the floor today to wrap Christmas gifts. He went slowly, and had to go lie down afterward, but really enjoyed it.

- he's finally feeling bored (which is probably a good sign). He's still not mobile enough to get out and about, so I'm scouring the Internet to find things for him to do (like trivia quizzes, jigsaw puzzles, games, etc). Just having even that little bit of energy to seek out things to do is an amazing sign of progress.

We still have a long way to go, but these are such hopeful signs, I had to share them with you, since you're all the ones praying for him - and God is listening!!! Hallelujah!

Edited by Eagle Heart (12/15/06 08:07 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved