The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#82417 - 07/12/06 04:13 AM Protect your information__Please read
easysolutions Offline
stranger

Loc: usa
I'm just passing this along . . . .

Finally, someone has forwarded an email to me that is worth it's weight in gold. All of this makes perfect logical sense. Please pass it on ATTORNEY'S ADVICE -- NO CHARGE

A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".

3 When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a P.O. Box, use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a P.O. Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks.(DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

3. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my! name. T he alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away. This weekend (someone turned it in).
It seems to have stop ped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., has been stolen:
1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
3.) Trans Union : 1-800-680-7289
4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

We pass along jokes on the Internet; we pass along just about everything. But if you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone that you care about.

#82418 - 07/12/06 01:17 PM Re: Protect your information__Please read [Re: easysolutions]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Thanks, good info for everyone!

Kathy

#82419 - 07/12/06 07:11 PM Re: Protect your information__Please read [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What great tidbits. I never thought aobut what could happen as a result of adding my account number on all the checks. opefully, non of us will have to use the information for lost wallets.

#82421 - 07/12/06 11:19 PM Re: Protect your information__Please read [Re: ]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
These are great tips. I hadn't thought about #s 2 & 5. Is it in issue with not signing the back of the credit card? I'll have to do some investigating.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#82423 - 07/12/06 11:31 PM Re: Protect your information__Please read [Re: ]
yonuh Offline

Thanks, Anne. I hardly ever carry cash now - just use my debit card. For some reason, cash disappears too fast. Using my debit card seems to make me think about a purchase more before I make it.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#82424 - 07/13/06 07:14 PM Re: Protect your information__Please read [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
yonah, we use a credit card and pay it off monthly. I'm considering switching to the debit card. The credit card we've used is a airline one that gives us air mile points. The bad news is that they almost doubled the number of points you need for a flight now so I don't think it's worth it any more. I'm sure I'd spend less if I used a debit card.

#82425 - 07/15/06 01:14 PM Re: Protect your information__Please read
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#82426 - 07/15/06 03:31 PM Re: Protect your information__Please read [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I read the article and many thanks for providing it. Very interesting. I couldn't find a link for the company so did a google in case anyone else might want it: http://welcome.lifelock.com/index.php

I intend to read further. What a great article, Ms D..thanks!
JJ

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved