The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#81513 - 06/18/06 10:05 PM Moving to college
sammom Offline

Loc: Washington State
So, since I'm new to this and have read a bit of the posts I thought I would add a subject related to empty nest. My son is moving across country to attend college, he' an only. Any advice of what/how to pack him up? Along with getting him to understand he made a choice that makes it not possible to have a spiffy dorm room.

#81514 - 06/18/06 10:38 PM Re: Moving to college
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Are you asking what to send along with him? Things he may need? If so, right off the bat I would say a calling card. You can pick them up at any Wal-mart.

A good reading lamp (for studying)is another good item to donate, along with postage stamps so he can write home and say, "send money."

JJ

#81515 - 06/18/06 10:41 PM Re: Moving to college
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
When each of my sons went off to the military, I gave them pre-addressed stamped postcards with various messages on the writing side. Things like: I got here safely, send money, send food, etc. After those ran out, they had already got in the habit of writing or calling.

#81516 - 06/20/06 10:18 AM Re: Moving to college
sammom Offline

Thanks for the ideas; won't have to worry about a calling card as we have cell phones. I figure he probably won't "write" as such, just call (free minutes on mobile to mobile) and email. At least I hope he emails...
Didn't even think of a reading light; will probably have him pick one up when he gets there. What I'm seeking advice on is the logistics of "packing" him up to send him across country. Trying to figure out what must go in a suitcase, if I should ship or pack in boxes for the airplane or what. It's not quite as easy as tossing everything in the car or truck and "moving" to school. I'm probably overly stressed about the whole thing :>)

#81517 - 06/20/06 06:59 PM Re: Moving to college
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Sammom, I have sent 4 kids off to college over the years but never across the country..the furthest away one of mine went was 4 1/2 hours...I don't know which college your son is attending..but all of the dorm rooms are furnished.. and most of them are small...so really all he will need beside his personal belongings, clothes , toiletries and computer will be...bedclothes..sheets, comforter, eggcrate and mattress pad and pillows...towels, a desklamp, alarm clock ..on move in day most colleges sell room size carpets and rent little fridges and microwaves...also...there is always a Bed bath and Beyond or WalMart nearby..have him call his roommate a few weeks before move in day and they can figure our who can bring what...for example...if the roommate lives close to the school perhaps he can bring a tv and your son can offer to pay the rent on the fridge...it's an exciting time for both of you...enjoy... [Smile]

#81518 - 06/21/06 02:25 AM Re: Moving to college
Suzan Offline

Loc: Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by Suzan:
Since he is going so far I may suggest a "web cam" for each of you - that way you can all connect - see and talk to each other at a set time during the week after he gets settled. My husband thought of the webcam for our daughter - his little girl- you can pick them up at wal-mart-very reasonable and easy to get up and running. As for what he needs to take with him, just the essentials. I know my daughter was not allowed to put nails on the walls so she decorated her room with very creative "wrapping paper" she found at target and walmart and hung it up with tape. Depending on the college and dorm - he will need a shower curtain and bath rug - those floors are so cold - or just send money so he can outfit his room after he sees it and meets his room mate. Good luck! I also think it is harder for you b/c you are sending him on an airplane-and you won't be there to help him get settled--good luck to both of you.
Susan

#81519 - 06/23/06 08:37 PM Re: Moving to college
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
sammon, we are in a similar boat, but my son is going from Baltimore, way south to Florida. I have another who goes to South Carolina and here's what we've doen and are doing as far as distance goes.

When our son entered sophomore year, we ordered his furniture from Pier One and made sure they had it in his town in the south. They delivered it the day my husband delivered him to school. It worked beautifully. The apartment he rents is for 12 months so all but what he needs in the summer stays. It's costly, but half the price for an apartment in his southern town than in Baltimore.

For the one who is going to Florida, we are taking only what he needs as far as clothes and personal items and buying the rest when we get there. Like Blondi said, They have all kinds of stores wherever they go so why buy and lug?

Another tip: we charge our kid's tuitions with air mile credit cards and pay them immediately. So instead of paying the college, we pay the bank. Then they fly home for holidays and we fly to see them for free with our frequent flyer miles. It reaaly helps.

I also recommend a family paln for phones. We can, and do talk FREE cell to cell any time of the night or day.

Hope this helps. We'll be empty nesters in the fall. Hope you stick around! I think we'll need one another.

#81520 - 06/24/06 11:14 PM Re: Moving to college
sammom Offline

Dotsie,
What airline credit card do you recommend? I've been looking into it and am thinking of going with Alaska; as they fly from here to Washington DC, and apparently my Safeway card adds to the miles.
I'm hoping that my son will get settled with the few things from Linens and Things etc that we'll buy here and then he can pick up there. Basically we are trying to emphasize necessity over desire; after all it all has to be stored over the summer too. He's not dealing with that very well, but hey he chose to go a long distance. I'll be around, I've found this site very interesting and have passed it on to friends.

#81521 - 06/25/06 04:21 AM Re: Moving to college
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
One is for USAir and the other is for any airline. Anything we charge gives us points. Hubby says you should shop around to see what airline he is most likely to fly, then find the credit card for that airline.

Thanks so much for spreading the word about our online neighborhood.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved