The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#81456 - 04/28/06 04:15 AM Re: getting closer
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Oh my gosh Dotsie...I was a basket case each time one of my 4 babies graduated from High School...afterall...it's the end of their childhoods so to speak...my youngest is now finishing up her junior year in college and I begin to cry just thinking about her college graduation which is a year away!!!...Just go with your emotions...don't repress them...my kids would have been crushed had I not been upset about them leaving...they love telling their friends about how much mascara I had on my face at their graduations... [Smile]
Also...don't you and Ross get too comfortable in your empty nest...most kids have to move home for awhile after graduation from college now...the world is so expensive these days...the kids still need our help getting started...I always offer them a rent free room and some good home cooked meals so they can save towards their own places...
So as soon as you drop them off at their respective colleges...you and Ross Run don't walk home and begin enjoying your alone time...it's over before you can get used to it...everytime I turn around my college kids are home on some break or another...:)and then they graduate.. [Smile] ..I promise you'll be okay... [Wink]

[ April 27, 2006, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: AvalonBlondi ]

#81457 - 04/28/06 04:43 AM Re: getting closer
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Once again the wisdom of our Avalon Blondi who has been there, done that...

#81458 - 04/29/06 07:29 AM Re: getting closer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Blondi, thanks for your perspective! We have been advised to plan a few trips for the fall. We're definitely going to do that. Fortunately, I adore my husband and look forward to being with him. But, we've poured our hearts and souls into these kids and I know we're going to miss them.

I am so grateful for instant messaging and cell phones. They have sure made the distance seem shorter with our son who is almost 10 hours from home.

By the way Blondi, I learned last night that his baseball team didn't make it to the play-offs so he's heading home for five days between finals and his mini-mester. Seems you know what you're talking about!

#81459 - 04/29/06 07:40 AM Re: getting closer
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Sorry that your son's team didn't make playoffs this year Dotsie...but it says so much about your relationship with him that he is choosing to come home to you during his short break rather than spending it fooling around with his buddies somewhere...I don't think you have too much to worry about, something tells me your kids will always choose to be close to you....

Also I agree with your atatement on instant messaging and cell phones...they have been a Godsend to me when my kids are away....my oldest daughter is living NW of Seattle and yet I rarely go a day without communicating directly with her in one form or another...I feel very lucky.

#81460 - 04/30/06 07:49 AM Re: getting closer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Blondi, another way I know he's alive and breathing is when I sign on AOL, I see his away message. When he first went away to college, it gave my tremendous peace to see those messages.

Do any of you have the cameras on your pcs?

#81461 - 04/30/06 02:26 AM Re: getting closer
Pam R. Offline

Ladies, we are all so alike! Us boomers!! I cried on Kindergarten day, cried on the Brownie Investiture Girl Scout day, cried at the first dancing recital, communion, confirmation, graduations, wedding and now baby showers! One of the hardest was the DROPOFF AND SAY GOODBYE COLLEGE DAY! Wow, we took 2 cars to the dorm which was 3 hours away in order to have room for ALL HER STUFF! I hid in the ladies room before saying goodbye while trying to compose myself. I didn't want to leave on that hysterical note. Anyway, I was not the only mom (or dads too) that had red eyes and clutching those tissues. I drove home with our younger daughter sobbing. Don't know how I made it safely for such a long drive. After we arrived home, I couldn't find my husband in the house for a short time. Finally, I realized he was on our deck crying his eyes out!! That was 11 years ago and we still get teary-eyed when we think of it. It truly is the way life is supposed to go, but we still have such a heavy heart while we are getting there!

#81462 - 05/01/06 02:06 AM Re: getting closer
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
Dotsie, I,like you, adore my husband and do look forward to our time together. I was just thinking today how it seems he is the only one who is TOTALLY interested in me and what I do and think. I also was thinking about how much I want my girls to not worry about me (seems I have to worry about my parents a bit, mom has few interests other than me and my brother and dad's health is a little shaky at the moment) I certaintly know I can't plan it all but I want my girls to think "hey, mom's doing alright she's out running, training the dog, gardening...same with dad". Not all is predictable and I definitely want to be available for them but also show them how be produtive, happy, wise, fun adults. And I sure will welcome them any time then need to come home. This is their time AND OURS!

#81463 - 05/01/06 10:36 PM Re: getting closer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

downdog,I'm with you when it comes to the kids realizing I am content. I believe that's another way of setting a good example.

We need to make them realize we are happy with who we are. Yes, they add tremendously to our happiness, but I never want them to think they are responsible for my happiness.

Downdog, how old are your girls?

Pam R, I beleive every word you said. My husband will also be grieving because he has been as involved as any dad I know. He has always put his family first. He's talking about joining a tennis ladder to occupy some of the time he's spent with the kids.

#81464 - 05/05/06 02:24 AM Re: getting closer
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
Dotsie, my kids are 18 and 21. (The labrador is almost 2!) I remember bawling all the way home on the first trip each of my daughters took to camp at around 8 years old - for 5 days. Now the youngest will be gone to boot camp for 7 weeks, tech school for 10 months and then off to college 4 hrs away. Not across the country, but not in the next room either. The hard thing is she is SO excited to do all this and I have to encourage her and be excited too. I have my break downs late at night and my poor husband has to listen to me. I know he is feeling it too, but I think he feels he has to be strong for me.

#81465 - 05/05/06 03:01 AM Re: getting closer
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My mom calls this a vicious circle and downdog you and your hubby are there!!!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved