The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#81328 - 02/26/06 05:04 AM Downsizing...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I watch House Hunters on HGTV and some of the people are women now alone or wife and husband who's kids have left the nest. They're homes are large and they are looking to buy smaller places. I was wondering what you ladies think about that? My thought is that even though the kids move, get married they seem to always come back and usually with spouse and children in tow. Wouldn't it be better to keep the family home for this reason especially iof its paid for??? Just a question.

#81329 - 02/26/06 05:54 AM Re: Downsizing...
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
Chatty, I'm ready for a smaller house but in our case, my sons have chosen to stay close to home so won't need extra room for them to stay.

We built our house in '89. I designed and contracted it, it was my dream house. It has seemed too big since my daughter died and the house has lost its charm. When we can all afford it, our plan is to trade houses with our son who farms with us. He has started a family and I would love to see them raise their children here, bringing the laughter and child's voices back to these rooms.

So I guess my response to your topic is more emotional than practical. On the practical side, my DIL will have to get used to having the gatherings here, when she has the space instead of us!

[ February 25, 2006, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: flipperjo ]

#81330 - 02/26/06 10:21 PM Re: Downsizing...
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
We downsized 4 years ago with the blessing of both our children, who live out-of-state. At the time, their dad had been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and we wanted to be in a place where I could be comfortable by myself when and if the time came. Thank God, that time hasn't yet arrived.

I love it where I live now. When my kids come to stay, it gets very crowded here, but nobody seems to mind.

#81331 - 02/27/06 10:07 PM Re: Downsizing...
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Hi Chattylady and all. To stay, or go, that's a question that many of us ask ourselves, about the homeplace, as time goes by. Sometime the decision is more or less taken out of our hands, due to health concerns, or effects, as in the case of NHJackie. Sometimes it's a matter of either too many good memories, or some bad experiences, we've had in the homeplace, that determines our decision. Sometimes we stay, out of financial necessity. And sometimes we stay, merely because it is what we know, and have known, for so long.

In past years, taking care of major home upkeep jobs may have been just a matter of placing a call to a local contractor, or service. While sundry smaller jobs we managed by ourselves. Caring for large yards, for instance, which for some means more work, seasonally determined.

Possibly at this time of life, we may not desire to spend a great deal of money, on home repair, or upkeep. Paying an increasingly hefty amount to heat and cool a large home may begin to be a consideration, as well, when thinking of the future. And, I think too, it depends on what each of us wants, at this particular time of life. With children grown and gone, we may desire to channel our energies into areas other than the time consuming work of the upkeep of a large home. I guess, bottom-line, to go or to stay is a decision we must weigh, according to our own individual needs, wants, circumstances, and in some small part, our willingness, and ability, to embrace change, at this time of our lives.

http://www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#81332 - 02/28/06 01:48 AM Re: Downsizing...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
flipper, what a great idea. Sounds perfect.

jackie, I understand your reasoning for moving, but do you miss the house where you raised your kids?

We've lived here forever. Had all our kids here and everything. We talk about moving, but I don't know when or where.

Chatty, our youngest two are high school seniors so we won't be going anywhere until there are at least through college. I know they'll be coming home in the summers.

Jeannine, you mention soem important factors to consdier. I hadn't thought about heating this whole home for just the two of us. WOW! But there's no other way to do it.

#81333 - 02/28/06 03:41 AM Re: Downsizing...
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
We sold the house we lived in fo 13 years when our kids were in middle school and moved 3 times between then and where they graduated from hs and went off to collge, although we've always been in the same town. Since we've been out of that house longer than we lived there now, I can't say any of us really missed it anymore.

I have a crosstitch hanging in my kitchen that one of my neighbor's gave me when we moved the first time that says "It's love that makes a house a home." Looking at it helped keep me sane when we lived in a couple of places that's weren't so great.

#81334 - 02/28/06 05:57 AM Re: Downsizing...
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
My situation is identical to yours Dotsie...we moved into our home when our oldest was only 2 1/2 and then had 3 more children...and raised all of them here...my parents lived with us for a year after my Dad retired and they were waiting for their new townhome to be built...This house has seen my kids celebrate their Baptisms and their b'days, First Holy Communion parties and Confirmation dinners,Pre Prom buffets and Gradutaions from HS and College and Grad school..funeral luncheons for my parents and 50th B'day parties for my girlfriends...so much history here...I am so reluctant to move and yet the house is always in need of repair...we have too much lawn , an inground pool that we keep up and only my dogs have the time to swim now...and a very long driveway that I see as a heart attack waiting to happen to my husband each time it snows..my head tells me it's time to downsize...my heart tells me something entirely different...My youngest has one year left of college..and I promised her that she could move back if she wanted to after graduation like the others did...so I am thinking I have at least 2 more years before I have to make a definitive decision...My Hubby is ready for maintenance free living...and I don't want this to become an issue between us...still..I get weepy when I think of leaving this house that sheltered us and watched us grow...

I really love the quote on your Crosstitch Jackie..and in the end ....Love really is all that matters...

#81335 - 02/28/06 06:46 AM Re: Downsizing...
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Interesting, as we have always been empty-nesters we are UPSIZING!

We have so many interests/businesses, we just need our own shops, outdoor patio areas, gardening and barbequeing, composting, animal areas (five dogs) etc.

Are we weird or what??

#81336 - 03/01/06 03:01 AM Re: Downsizing...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Blondi, yup, sounds just like us. And this June we are going to have a heck of a celebration here because the oungest two are graduating.

I think moving is one of those things we are going to have to put on our big girl panties and deal with it.

Di, I think it's great that you are adding to your interests as you age gracefully. I'm sure all the projects are what's keeping you content.

#81337 - 04/02/06 03:55 AM Re: Downsizing...
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Just thought I'd add my downsizing story. We lived in a large four bedroom L shaped 'Lockwood' house with a lovely pool tucked into the L part. We only have one child so by the time she left home.....which was actually at a young age 17!!! (But that's an empty nest story) We continued living in the big house (a house I never really liked) for another 3 years until it sold and we built a little Versatile Cottage(that's a type of garage/shed/cottage buildings they have here in NZ, all low maintenance stuff) and it's been the best move ever, it's a little two bedroom place with open plan kitchen, office, dining, lounge area....but small enough for me to keep clean and tidy in no time at all, great for the animals, very private and a wonderful view.

Eliabeth comes home often and brings her young man too and there is plenty of room for them when they stay. We have a garage attached which has a second shower and bathroom.

Best thing we ever did. Had enough money over to put into a retirement beach front apartment on the Kapiti Coast, that's half way between our country property and our daughters city apartment in Wellington.

Sometimes I know it can be hard to give up the family home, but for me the big place we left was actually our second family home.....we had lived in the 1st home (another Lockwood but smaller) for the first 13 or so years of our marriage and we both wish we had stayed put in the 1st house rather than build the bigger place.

#81338 - 04/02/06 04:46 AM Re: Downsizing...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Sounds heavenly Flossie, really it does...

#81339 - 04/02/06 09:10 AM Re: Downsizing...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I live on three acres in the city limits of a suburb in the metro area of the state capital. We have a pool, a hot tub, dozens of trees, and a creek that circles the back of the property. All the houses in this area have about the same. It was perfect when the kids were in school.

Now the city is catching up. The street that leads to the area is being widened and several new additions have developed nearby. There is a walmart three miles away and more huge houses on miniscule lots are moving in all around us.

My husband and I both own acreages farther out and we have an acreage in a very remote area. I was talking to a friend tonight who is moving to New York City. I told her we were thinking of moving in some direction. Either to one of the very remote areas or New York City. She laughed. Boy what a wide diversithy of choice.

We probably won't do anything at all until my husband retires, but I can certainly see the advantages of downsizing either to the country or to the city.

I would love to live in New York City. It energizes me, but it does seem awfully complex. I also love the solitude of the country.

I admire those of you who have acted on the impulse of each age to move where your wishes and/or jobs take you. I guess I will have to become more mobile if I am going to keep up with my dreams as they change with age.

smile

[ April 02, 2006, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#81340 - 04/03/06 02:29 AM Re: Downsizing...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

smile, boy do you have options. That's great. I can't see you moving from your family. Could you really do that?

Flossie, sounds like a great set-up you have. I especially like the beach house.

I think I would like to move to a small town on the water, but I don't know if I could move away from family and friends. It's a tough decision.

#81341 - 04/03/06 03:40 AM Re: Downsizing...
smilinize Offline

Actually Dotsie, you're right. I probably couldn't move away from my family. They would probably follow no matter where I go. Of couse NYC might be a stretch. I just love it there though--mainly for the musical theater.

I was talking to a guy the other day who I didn't know, but who knew me. I asked how he knew of me. He said I was the only person he knew of in the whole state who was writing musicals. He's probably right. I've not heard of anyone else either. I'm sure they are somewhere, but it's just not a real job here. I dream of being somewhere where writing musicals is a real job. Maybe better left a dream.

smile

#81342 - 04/03/06 11:09 PM Re: Downsizing...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I don't think so. Maybe just another stage? Why not try visiting NYC more often, or doing a months stay for rejuvination at times?

#81343 - 04/03/06 11:53 PM Re: Downsizing...
smilinize Offline

Actually I just posted a note on a website I joined for writers of musicals. Almost all of those who post are from NYC and a few from Chicago. It is refreshing to read posts from people who see writing a musical as a reality.

Maybe that will fulfill my need to communicate with musical makers for now. The world wide web is a great thing.

smile

#81344 - 04/04/06 01:32 AM Re: Downsizing...
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:

I would love to live in New York City. It energizes me, but it does seem awfully complex. I also love the solitude of the country.

smile

Oh smile I totally agree with you there, I love the energy of city life but also the solitude of the country is wonderful. Then again I love the ocean sounds and smells!!

But New York, I wanted to live there after my visit.

#81345 - 07/21/06 02:10 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: flossie]
DebShines Offline

Loc: Brisbane Australia
Oh...I have just noted in a different thread that My husband and I would like to live in England or America for a while in a couple of years time. Currently our home is five bedroom and I can see that at least one or two bedrooms will free up over the next few years. Chatting to all these boomers has given me the thought to ensuite a bedroom and invite boomers from this forum to stay over should they wish to visit Brisbane. We could have a network all over the world where our web friends can stay and see the world at the same time. We could even look into the house swapping thing if all the children are living elsewhere!!!

#81346 - 07/21/06 08:20 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: DebShines]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Debshines: You seeking to retire outside Australia? Come to England! The social structure is more or less the same so adjusting would be a breeze. The British husband decided to settle the family in the UK from the US 16 years ago and though the medium is English, the culture and lifestyle...different kettle of fish. Moved here when Sunday trading was not the norm. Took some time to get the hang of things and enjoyed shopping for bread at the bakers, meat at the butchers, veg at the greengrocers, fish at the fishmongers etc. It is, however, starting to develop much like in US cities where small village traders are being forced out in favour of supermarkets. Nevertheless, all is still beautiful. My youngest sister who was born in NY was brought up in Canberra but now lives in Perth. Brother-in-law is in Melbourne, another in Sydney. So, you can balance the scale and move up here from down there.

It's a lovely idea to have pockets of places where BWS folks can check into when they go trotting around the globe as you've suggested. I'd throw in my lot and be a happy innkeeper as soon as BWS gets around to organising things of the sort.

#81347 - 07/21/06 02:17 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Love the idea of us traveling and staying with one another. I could organize it in some way, but I would have to be certain that BWS was in no way responsible should anything happen. I would feel awful if some weirdo got in on this. How do you know when doing things like that online. I know it's done, but it's risky. What do you think?

#81348 - 07/21/06 02:50 PM Re: Downsizing...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I would think some kind of screening would have to be done, with validations in place. Who to do it? I don't have a clue. But my house is so small that if someone came here to stay, I'd have to leave. Like I said earlier, even the moths take turns going in the closets...there is just no room here. BUT....we could do a swap?

JJ

#81349 - 07/21/06 08:06 PM Re: Downsizing...
Sugaree Offline

Maybe one of those finger printing gadgets and take pictures and prints and run background checks then do secured transactions re: the details of the trip from there out???
Everyone that arrives must match the prints and the picture??? Too techy? Impersonal?
Seems sorta personal but hey! Never can be too safe. It seems like that isn't even fool proof these days though. I guess nothing is.

This idea came about during this hotel project that I'm working on. Of course these devices will be top of the line but there are less expensive ones for less frequent usage.

Edited by Sugaree (07/21/06 08:09 PM)

#81350 - 07/23/06 01:00 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Sugaree]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Wow, sounds like lots of work Sugaree. What hotel project are you working on?

jawjaw, your humor is never wasted on me.

#81351 - 07/23/06 08:37 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: flossie]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
My story is of necessity rather than family history. After six months of being married, I became pregnant (35 years ago). It came necessary to find a house fast with limited income. We purchased a 2 bedroom frame home with no basement. For 9 years I hated it but so what.

I finally divorced my first husband and life kept changing (to make the story short). Eleven years ago I remarried a man (also with one son from 1st marriage) who lived in our home for 26 years. After much prodding, we moved into a condo two years ago. I am a professional organizers for seniors and started practicing what I preach to others.

First, I took one room at a time. This started a year before actually moving to adjust to change gradually. If I didn't use it after one year it was given away, tossed or donated. By the time the move actually became reality, there were only items we actually used or wanted to store for memories.

In our new condo (home) there are 3 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms, basement and garage. Just like a home without the outside responsibilities. A small environment with very nice neighbors. One bedroom is converted into my office with a queen size sofa bed for the grandchildren. The second bedroom is for my husband's office/family room use. The master bedroom has only the clothing we wear in the closet.

There are so many tricks but plenty of room for vacationing family yet is feels like our own space. Hope I have helped someone. Take it slow and plan ahead. Don't put pressure on yourself.

#81352 - 07/26/06 01:12 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Phyllis0618]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
We went from a 4000 sq ft home to a 1115 sq ft sky flat. I have to tell you, I love this simplified living. Most of our furniture went into storage and the big question seems to be when we'll see it again. We will be moving to another Flat in March of next year that, while larger, not by that much. We're not so sure we ever want a house with a lawn again.

Out of necessity, I finally went through my closet and got rid of clothes I rarely wore or never wore and I guess because I didn't want to move stuff I didn't use any longer, it made it much easier. Nine fifty-five gallon bags of clothes were given away. It felt sooooo good!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81353 - 07/26/06 04:20 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
jjblue Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
We are hopeless--moving many times in our life together, kids in tow--we continue to love whatever 'homestead' in which we currently reside. Since we add to our 'stuff' with regularity, (antiques nuts), and get rid of nothing (Grand old Dame of a home absorbs well) the boys feel they are coming 'home' when they are wherever we are. I had to laugh when our Baltimore kids bought their first home--He said it was special--reminded him of the houses (note the plural) in which he grew up! No, not ready to downsize, yet. Each old house and piece of recycled stuff has a story, you know:o)

#81354 - 07/27/06 03:18 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jjblue]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Phyllis, tell us more about what you do professionally.

Dianne, I noticed you said bags of clothes, not shoes. Didn't you get rid of any of them?

jjblue, poeple who collect antiques have the fullest homes. Don't they. Always finding something new for a good price to add to the home.

Our youngest two leave for college soon. One of my plans is to begin going through the house and getting rid of what we don't use/need. I can't wait. I did this several years ago after helping Mom and Dad clean out the house we were all raised in. After seeing all they had accumulated, I came home and started getting rid of stuff. It's time to do it again!

#81355 - 07/27/06 08:36 PM Re: Downsizing...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Dots, four pairs. Enough said, sigh.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81356 - 07/31/06 01:24 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

At first I thought you meant you had four pairs left. Then I realized you meant you got rid of four pairs. Phew, that makes more sense.

#81357 - 08/02/06 02:15 AM Re: Downsizing...
Sugaree Offline

Oh my goodness! I recall this 'downsizing' thread a bit earlier this year and even last year.
Well, here's a new report on how it is:

Child number two (daughter) came home in mid May (college out early in the south? Jeeze). I had already downsized and moved into a smaller unit. My plans were to purchase a futon for my den and an air mattress for others (son) or just company. That didn't happen. My daughter and I ended up sharing my king size. Needless to say, we've spent too much time together and I want out! I so look forward to her going back to college.

My son didn't come here until last week to spend the week. He brought his girlfriend up that lives about 45 minutes outside of Milwaukee but doesn't want to part from my son so she's been here! Now, am I supposed to be 'liberated' enough of a 'young parent' to let them sleep together inside of my house? (Hmmm, could it be that I'm not sleeping with anyone in my house and so I don't want anyone else to either or could it be that I have morals and they're NOT married despite what they have claimed?) WHEW! Let me take a breath!

So, now my daughter wont be going back out of state to college because we can't afford it. My son is going back to Las Vegas though, tomorrow.

Downsizing is officially my favorite word of the YEAR! Yes!
I long to feel that 'empty nest syndrome' feeling again where tears flowed ever so gently down my cheeks as we said our last parting words before she boarded the aircraft.

#81358 - 08/02/06 08:20 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Sugaree]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I guess my case is a little different from most of you in that I never had kids, and have no family here in Cali unless you count you-know-who.

Our first house was in Oklahoma, maybe half this size but with a huge yard that needed mowing every 15 minutes. My husband said he never wanted to mow another lawn again, and that's fine with me.

This house is ~2000 or 2100 sq.', and a very small yard with mostly xeriscaping -- cactus, bougainvillea, 2 avocado trees, and some unidentifiable growing things. I decorated the house, and it's like an art gallery with a 2-storey living room ceiling. I love this house. There was a time I thought about moving, maybe to North Cali because it's more cultural, but I never went so here I am.

U-no-hu doesn't want to move either, even though I've asked him to on many occasions. Not too long ago when we had termite inspectors give an estimate, hubbo said to the guy, "We'll probably be in this house till we die." I think he's right.

When I first saw this house in 1981, I absolutely fell in love with it. I love the way the space is arranged and the energy flow. When I moved to Cali I also had a very strong sense that I had come home.

I try to keep things neat-ish, which is not the same magnitude as actually neat. I'm down to adding maybe one art piece a year now, as my walls are running out of space (and my counters did years ago.) If it gets too cluttery, it loses the Zen and I can't concentrate on my work, whether poetry or jewelry.

Poet and essayist

#81359 - 08/02/06 01:25 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I want a room with a view, a sofa sleeper, a bathroom, computer hookup, microwave, small frig, workspace, and a coffee machine. One door. That's it. Oh wait, walls to hang my jigsaw Elvis puzzles I've worked and framed. NOW...I'm good to go. Sounds like I need a Holiday Inn room. Hmm...

JJ

#81360 - 08/02/06 01:47 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
When we moved a few years ago we actually upsized, bigger house, bigger yard. I like the bigger house and contrary to what I thought, it stays neater because we have more room to keep stuff. The yard is another story. There's a lot of grass to cut and keep up with but to be honest we have more privacy this way.
The only thing I would downsize is the amount of stuff we keep. When we moved we got rid of a lot of clutter and now after a few years, I think it's time to do it again.

#81361 - 08/02/06 02:41 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: TVC15]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

TVC, your privacy sounds wonderful. That's soemthing we don't have, but would love. Our home sits on the corner near the edge of our neighborhood. I feel as though we are on display because people park all around us to go into town. However, I love the convenience. IT's a trade-off for sure.

As far as your yard goes, I picture you with a big vegetable garden. Am I right?

#81362 - 08/02/06 03:57 PM Re: Downsizing...
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Dotsie,
I actually have a bunch of small ones placed all over the yard. But if you put them all together, it would be pretty big. Next year we are planning to put some raised beds in. I can't wait.

#81363 - 08/02/06 11:48 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: TVC15]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Meredith your home sounds as comfortable and delightful as I've imagine you are.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#81364 - 08/03/06 03:57 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Jeannine]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
I love your website. Most of my life I was a professional organizer and administrative assistant. Working with seniors to help downsize their home has been rewarding. Now I am taking care of myself and walking in baby steps to explore my future. Opening up and sharing is new to me.

#81365 - 08/03/06 05:05 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Phyllis0618]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Thanks Chatty! When customers come over to the house, I give them the option of the "guided art tour!" I don't offer unless they start complimenting the "stuff."

Poet and essayist

#81366 - 08/04/06 11:31 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: meredithbead]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
We're in a condo, but my situation is a little different. My husband bought it after his divorce. Now that we are married, we both own it. I had a two family house and sold it. We kept the condo and live here. If we had it to do over, we would not buy a condo again. I say this only because of all the rules and living with so many peopel. It's been hard to get used to. But, the conveniences are great: no shoveling, no mowing, no dragging out barrels or bags, no raking. We are on the first floor and do have a very large patio, which is unheard of in most condos. It's a plus. We are on a marina and have a beautiful view of Boston, which is what we really love about it. My husband has tons of flowers on the patio. The thing I need and don't have is enough closet space, but I probably could never have enough of that. I'm not a good downsizer at all.

Louisa

#81367 - 08/04/06 12:11 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Louisa, I recall seeing your Christmas pictures with all your lights outback. I never would have guessed that to be a condo. It looked huge.

#81368 - 08/04/06 06:38 PM Re: Downsizing...
Louisa Offline

It's like another room to us. We just about live out there in the summer months. It's about 12 feet from the sliders to the railing and about 20 something feet wide. Just the first floor of one building out of the three in the complex has patios like ours. The others have small balconies.

Louisa

#81369 - 08/05/06 09:31 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Louisa]
DebShines Offline

Loc: Brisbane Australia
A condo (we would call it an apartment) high up in the city is my dream for when it is just the two of us again. A big patio (we would call it a balcony in a highrise) would be ideal and I would also fill it with flowers. I would spend my days strolling the botanic gardens, walking along the river, sipping coffee and watching the people go by...and of course minding grandchildren whenever possible. Actually in my retirement I might even mind other peoples children to help me stay vibrant and in touch with the real truth of life!!!

#81370 - 08/05/06 01:00 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: DebShines]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

We're on the top floor of a highrise. What I find funny is how the building is it's own little community...like Peyton Place. There is a couple on the 9th floor that complain about EVERYTHING. "A dog peed on a rock out back." That kind of stuff and they talk terrible to the property manager, like they sign her paycheck. I'm always fascinated to hear what their latest complaint is because it's become funny more than anything. Sad, that people are that miserable but funny to hear how they've looked for things that might be wrong. My hub says it's people like them that keep buildings like this cleaner but, the poor property manager. She's so sweet and just bites her tongue.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81371 - 08/05/06 02:44 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Hey Ms Di...maybe you could start a condo newsletter?

JJ

#81372 - 08/05/06 07:26 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Actually, in condominiums/high rise or not, the Board of Trustees hires the property manager or management company and it is paid for by the residents/owners who pay condo fees. But, I know what you mean. Some people have no life and they concern themselves with the most unimportant things. This is part of what I don't like about living in a complex.

I just realized Diane, that you are in Australia. I was wondering about the condo/aprtment thing. We call ours balconies too, but because we have 7 oversized decks on the first floor of one of our buildings, I call it a patio.

I don't think I would like to be on the top floor of a high rise. I don't even like the 7th floor of this building.

Louisa

#81373 - 08/05/06 10:53 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Louisa]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dianne is NOT in Australia, she is in Minnesota...

#81374 - 08/06/06 01:46 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

SAME THING...foreign country.

#81375 - 08/06/06 02:02 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Sorry, I was answering two posts at once and got mixed up. I meant DebShines about Australia and Dianne about the Peyton Place thing.

Louisa

#81376 - 08/08/06 01:49 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Louisa]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

You're right, JJ. LOL!

Louisa, we don't have balconies or patios and if we did, I wouldn't go out on it. I don't like high places. One entire wall is all glass, which offers a beautiful view. It's great when we have a thunder storm with lightening streaking across the sky.

A condo newsletter? I don't think so! The couple on the 9th floor have even told the property manager how to arrange the furniture in her office and if she doesn't want to do it, they will do it themselves! It's that bad. Plus, there is a wall ashtray in the covered parking and the female half of this couple claimed it made her car smell like cigarettes and demanded they take it down. They did and it had never been used. Just looking for things, you know? I think it's funny but then, I'm not the property manager either.

All pet owners now have to use the freight elevator when going downstairs. I don't mind except...it was a demand made by this couple. Who is running this place anyway? I can understand allergies, etc. but this is getting out of control.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81377 - 08/08/06 02:14 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well...........do a newsletter about the couple! I bet everybody in the condo place would pay to read it. You won't even have to make things up either because they are so demanding and ignorant, they give you all the fodder you need! Am I right?

JJ

#81378 - 08/08/06 04:13 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Sounds to me like the management and most of the residents are wimps to allow one couple to rule the roost...Ever heard of mutiny?

#81379 - 08/09/06 01:05 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I could title my newsletter, "The 9th Floor Couple and their latest complaints." It could fill pages! Now, they don't like the way the sofas in the lobby are arranged. Said it looks tacky. It's gotten funny it's so extreme. I got trapped on the elevator with them one day and I swear they've been weaned on lemon juice. I made them talk to me! It hurt them, you could tell. I was getting my mail and followed them down the hallway and they were saying, "Do you smell that?" I sniffed, trying to smell something but couldn't. Maybe they were talking about me! LOL!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81380 - 08/09/06 03:28 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
The good thing about people like that is...they are their own worst enemies. I meet that kind all the time in my business...at least I excercise my eyes alot from rolling. Ha ha, that's funny Dianne....you made them talk to you? I do that too, and relish how the grumpies try to grump (word?) out of it.
It's raining today; no golf day, but a big chat day.

#81381 - 08/09/06 08:59 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I pulled out my Southern Personality that I learned while living in Nashville. "Hey y'all. How ya doing? I haven't met you yet, yada." They were shoved up against the elevator as far away from me as they could get.LOL! I had my little Italian Greyhound with me on a leash and she just sat in the corner, minding her own business. Shortly after that, the new rule...dogs and their owners have to take the freight elevator. Gee, I wonder who complained? We don't mind tho. There are more smells in that elevator for her to check out.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81382 - 08/10/06 12:31 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I think you should call your newsletter, "Cleveage and Butthead." What?

JJ

#81383 - 08/10/06 07:40 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Oh yeah, that southern accent helps. I could use one...but it would really sound weird in German. It was hard enough to bring in the American accent when I sang gospel with a German choir.
An Italien Greyhound? Those are the short-haired, tiny, skinny dogs, right? They are too tiny to emanate any doggy smell. Those people need to blow their noses.

#81384 - 08/10/06 01:17 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Oh, JJ. You are so funny.

Yes, my dog is tiny and she's so friendly and everyone in the building loves her...except cleavage and butthead. LOL!

I've been reading The Power of Intention and when I'm finished, I think I'll put it at this couple's door. Maybe if they read it, they will understand Universal Love and how it heals our world. They must be so miserable. The good news is they'll be leaving for AZ for the Winter. They can drive the people in that state crazy for a while.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81385 - 08/10/06 03:54 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I say you all should ban together and decorate their condo door while they are gone. Anon..of course. And just for starters...

JJ

#81386 - 08/11/06 01:16 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

And...how should we decorate it? I'm sure you'll have some suggestions!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81387 - 08/11/06 01:28 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

I do! I do ! But it's rather tasteless...you know those fake doggy doos, the plastic ones? Ha ha ...I don't believe I'm going to send this...no I won't..what the heck, I will.

#81388 - 08/11/06 01:42 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Vasline on the doorknob...and yes, what would a decorated door be without the doogie poop thingy? It's a must! ha! Now let's see...hmm....

JJ

#81389 - 08/11/06 05:41 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

A quarantine sign reading "Toxic Dump-Enter at your own risk." Hey sounds appropriate to me.
Or maybe, "Mystic Revelations-all smells diagnosed within by Cleavage and Butthead." Or better yet cover the door with plywood, paint it the same color as the hall and whalla apartment gone, disappeared. Nothing there but wall...

#81390 - 08/11/06 10:09 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I finally found women as bad as me. I thought about dumping a pile of cigarette butts by her car door so she'd really have something to complain about but I'm the type of person who always gets caught! I wouldn't make a good criminal.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81391 - 08/13/06 12:13 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

How about painting on the front door, "Yo, Dawgz, the X Street Gang has reclaimed this hovel as da new clubhouse! Enter at yar own risk" and having a hidden camera to catch their reaction when they see it?

Poet and essayist

#81392 - 08/13/06 01:01 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: meredithbead]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps the next time ya'll should encounter these individuals, give them the gift of gab? For isntance, begin complaining to them, i.e., stubbed my toe getting out of bed and how long u spent at the hospital awaiting x-rays b/c you thought it was broken (and describe the doctor, nurses, and everyone you encountered to include the coffee, not to mention the pain!), how long it took to change car oil, bad customer service, etc., and draw it out, I mean make your story really long and how the martyr you've become b/c of such ordeals! You could even invite them for cocktails and bore them to death!

#81393 - 08/13/06 02:13 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: ]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Which one of you gals is going to come get me out of jail after I did all of this? Mustang, invite them to my flat? Nah, I'm not that good of an actor. I've heard that both of them are retired and do some volunteer work so I'm going to blame their complaints on good old fashion boredom. Like...go back to work or something and give the rest of us a break.

I had planned on the next time I saw them in the elevator, to pull back Diz and say, "Don't go near them, they'll complain about you!" but we now have to ride down in the freight elevator so that's not an option.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81394 - 08/14/06 07:29 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Maybe we Boomers should all line up at the door dressed in black leather jackets and black patterned nylons, (comfortable shoes, of course) and sing; "You're Bad, Your'e Bad!"

#81395 - 08/14/06 04:34 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I'm telling you, I'm starting to think we live in the building of the uninformed, ignorant people of MN!

One of our residents, who is a lesbian, collapsed in the hallway and the ambulance had to be called. A resident from the 5th floor told the paramedics that they needed to wear masks because the woman was gay! I was just flabbergasted by that. In this day and age and with all the information out there, people remain trapped in ignorance and prejudice.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81396 - 08/14/06 08:08 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Hope your taking notes, Dianne...your apartment building is good material for the next best seller.
Can't believe it; masks? ..that is so pathetic.

#81397 - 08/15/06 07:45 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hannelore, great idea. Come on Dianne. What do you think?

#81398 - 08/15/06 09:52 PM Re: Downsizing...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I think it would make a better sitcom!

Ninth floor couple are complaining again. This time, it's the notes from the homeowners meeting. Said it was poorly written. What's it supposed to be, The Great American Novel?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81399 - 08/16/06 01:43 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
smilinize Offline

Next meeting, suggest they write it. Then complain about it.

smile

#81400 - 08/16/06 01:57 AM Re: Downsizing...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sitcom called "Neighbors?"

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved