The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#81358 - 08/02/06 08:20 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Sugaree]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I guess my case is a little different from most of you in that I never had kids, and have no family here in Cali unless you count you-know-who.

Our first house was in Oklahoma, maybe half this size but with a huge yard that needed mowing every 15 minutes. My husband said he never wanted to mow another lawn again, and that's fine with me.

This house is ~2000 or 2100 sq.', and a very small yard with mostly xeriscaping -- cactus, bougainvillea, 2 avocado trees, and some unidentifiable growing things. I decorated the house, and it's like an art gallery with a 2-storey living room ceiling. I love this house. There was a time I thought about moving, maybe to North Cali because it's more cultural, but I never went so here I am.

U-no-hu doesn't want to move either, even though I've asked him to on many occasions. Not too long ago when we had termite inspectors give an estimate, hubbo said to the guy, "We'll probably be in this house till we die." I think he's right.

When I first saw this house in 1981, I absolutely fell in love with it. I love the way the space is arranged and the energy flow. When I moved to Cali I also had a very strong sense that I had come home.

I try to keep things neat-ish, which is not the same magnitude as actually neat. I'm down to adding maybe one art piece a year now, as my walls are running out of space (and my counters did years ago.) If it gets too cluttery, it loses the Zen and I can't concentrate on my work, whether poetry or jewelry.

Poet and essayist

#81359 - 08/02/06 01:25 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I want a room with a view, a sofa sleeper, a bathroom, computer hookup, microwave, small frig, workspace, and a coffee machine. One door. That's it. Oh wait, walls to hang my jigsaw Elvis puzzles I've worked and framed. NOW...I'm good to go. Sounds like I need a Holiday Inn room. Hmm...

JJ

#81360 - 08/02/06 01:47 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
When we moved a few years ago we actually upsized, bigger house, bigger yard. I like the bigger house and contrary to what I thought, it stays neater because we have more room to keep stuff. The yard is another story. There's a lot of grass to cut and keep up with but to be honest we have more privacy this way.
The only thing I would downsize is the amount of stuff we keep. When we moved we got rid of a lot of clutter and now after a few years, I think it's time to do it again.

#81361 - 08/02/06 02:41 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: TVC15]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
TVC, your privacy sounds wonderful. That's soemthing we don't have, but would love. Our home sits on the corner near the edge of our neighborhood. I feel as though we are on display because people park all around us to go into town. However, I love the convenience. IT's a trade-off for sure.

As far as your yard goes, I picture you with a big vegetable garden. Am I right?

#81362 - 08/02/06 03:57 PM Re: Downsizing...
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Dotsie,
I actually have a bunch of small ones placed all over the yard. But if you put them all together, it would be pretty big. Next year we are planning to put some raised beds in. I can't wait.

#81363 - 08/02/06 11:48 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: TVC15]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Meredith your home sounds as comfortable and delightful as I've imagine you are.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#81364 - 08/03/06 03:57 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Jeannine]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
I love your website. Most of my life I was a professional organizer and administrative assistant. Working with seniors to help downsize their home has been rewarding. Now I am taking care of myself and walking in baby steps to explore my future. Opening up and sharing is new to me.

#81365 - 08/03/06 05:05 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Phyllis0618]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Thanks Chatty! When customers come over to the house, I give them the option of the "guided art tour!" I don't offer unless they start complimenting the "stuff."

Poet and essayist

#81366 - 08/04/06 11:31 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: meredithbead]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
We're in a condo, but my situation is a little different. My husband bought it after his divorce. Now that we are married, we both own it. I had a two family house and sold it. We kept the condo and live here. If we had it to do over, we would not buy a condo again. I say this only because of all the rules and living with so many peopel. It's been hard to get used to. But, the conveniences are great: no shoveling, no mowing, no dragging out barrels or bags, no raking. We are on the first floor and do have a very large patio, which is unheard of in most condos. It's a plus. We are on a marina and have a beautiful view of Boston, which is what we really love about it. My husband has tons of flowers on the patio. The thing I need and don't have is enough closet space, but I probably could never have enough of that. I'm not a good downsizer at all.

Louisa

#81367 - 08/04/06 12:11 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Louisa, I recall seeing your Christmas pictures with all your lights outback. I never would have guessed that to be a condo. It looked huge.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved