The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 165 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#81348 - 07/21/06 02:50 PM Re: Downsizing...
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I would think some kind of screening would have to be done, with validations in place. Who to do it? I don't have a clue. But my house is so small that if someone came here to stay, I'd have to leave. Like I said earlier, even the moths take turns going in the closets...there is just no room here. BUT....we could do a swap?

JJ

#81349 - 07/21/06 08:06 PM Re: Downsizing...
Sugaree Offline

Maybe one of those finger printing gadgets and take pictures and prints and run background checks then do secured transactions re: the details of the trip from there out???
Everyone that arrives must match the prints and the picture??? Too techy? Impersonal?
Seems sorta personal but hey! Never can be too safe. It seems like that isn't even fool proof these days though. I guess nothing is.

This idea came about during this hotel project that I'm working on. Of course these devices will be top of the line but there are less expensive ones for less frequent usage.

Edited by Sugaree (07/21/06 08:09 PM)

#81350 - 07/23/06 01:00 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Sugaree]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Wow, sounds like lots of work Sugaree. What hotel project are you working on?

jawjaw, your humor is never wasted on me.

#81351 - 07/23/06 08:37 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: flossie]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
My story is of necessity rather than family history. After six months of being married, I became pregnant (35 years ago). It came necessary to find a house fast with limited income. We purchased a 2 bedroom frame home with no basement. For 9 years I hated it but so what.

I finally divorced my first husband and life kept changing (to make the story short). Eleven years ago I remarried a man (also with one son from 1st marriage) who lived in our home for 26 years. After much prodding, we moved into a condo two years ago. I am a professional organizers for seniors and started practicing what I preach to others.

First, I took one room at a time. This started a year before actually moving to adjust to change gradually. If I didn't use it after one year it was given away, tossed or donated. By the time the move actually became reality, there were only items we actually used or wanted to store for memories.

In our new condo (home) there are 3 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms, basement and garage. Just like a home without the outside responsibilities. A small environment with very nice neighbors. One bedroom is converted into my office with a queen size sofa bed for the grandchildren. The second bedroom is for my husband's office/family room use. The master bedroom has only the clothing we wear in the closet.

There are so many tricks but plenty of room for vacationing family yet is feels like our own space. Hope I have helped someone. Take it slow and plan ahead. Don't put pressure on yourself.

#81352 - 07/26/06 01:12 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Phyllis0618]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
We went from a 4000 sq ft home to a 1115 sq ft sky flat. I have to tell you, I love this simplified living. Most of our furniture went into storage and the big question seems to be when we'll see it again. We will be moving to another Flat in March of next year that, while larger, not by that much. We're not so sure we ever want a house with a lawn again.

Out of necessity, I finally went through my closet and got rid of clothes I rarely wore or never wore and I guess because I didn't want to move stuff I didn't use any longer, it made it much easier. Nine fifty-five gallon bags of clothes were given away. It felt sooooo good!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81353 - 07/26/06 04:20 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
jjblue Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
We are hopeless--moving many times in our life together, kids in tow--we continue to love whatever 'homestead' in which we currently reside. Since we add to our 'stuff' with regularity, (antiques nuts), and get rid of nothing (Grand old Dame of a home absorbs well) the boys feel they are coming 'home' when they are wherever we are. I had to laugh when our Baltimore kids bought their first home--He said it was special--reminded him of the houses (note the plural) in which he grew up! No, not ready to downsize, yet. Each old house and piece of recycled stuff has a story, you know:o)

#81354 - 07/27/06 03:18 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: jjblue]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Phyllis, tell us more about what you do professionally.

Dianne, I noticed you said bags of clothes, not shoes. Didn't you get rid of any of them?

jjblue, poeple who collect antiques have the fullest homes. Don't they. Always finding something new for a good price to add to the home.

Our youngest two leave for college soon. One of my plans is to begin going through the house and getting rid of what we don't use/need. I can't wait. I did this several years ago after helping Mom and Dad clean out the house we were all raised in. After seeing all they had accumulated, I came home and started getting rid of stuff. It's time to do it again!

#81355 - 07/27/06 08:36 PM Re: Downsizing...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Dots, four pairs. Enough said, sigh.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#81356 - 07/31/06 01:24 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

At first I thought you meant you had four pairs left. Then I realized you meant you got rid of four pairs. Phew, that makes more sense.

#81357 - 08/02/06 02:15 AM Re: Downsizing...
Sugaree Offline

Oh my goodness! I recall this 'downsizing' thread a bit earlier this year and even last year.
Well, here's a new report on how it is:

Child number two (daughter) came home in mid May (college out early in the south? Jeeze). I had already downsized and moved into a smaller unit. My plans were to purchase a futon for my den and an air mattress for others (son) or just company. That didn't happen. My daughter and I ended up sharing my king size. Needless to say, we've spent too much time together and I want out! I so look forward to her going back to college.

My son didn't come here until last week to spend the week. He brought his girlfriend up that lives about 45 minutes outside of Milwaukee but doesn't want to part from my son so she's been here! Now, am I supposed to be 'liberated' enough of a 'young parent' to let them sleep together inside of my house? (Hmmm, could it be that I'm not sleeping with anyone in my house and so I don't want anyone else to either or could it be that I have morals and they're NOT married despite what they have claimed?) WHEW! Let me take a breath!

So, now my daughter wont be going back out of state to college because we can't afford it. My son is going back to Las Vegas though, tomorrow.

Downsizing is officially my favorite word of the YEAR! Yes!
I long to feel that 'empty nest syndrome' feeling again where tears flowed ever so gently down my cheeks as we said our last parting words before she boarded the aircraft.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved