The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#81338 - 04/02/06 04:46 AM Re: Downsizing...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sounds heavenly Flossie, really it does...

#81339 - 04/02/06 09:10 AM Re: Downsizing...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I live on three acres in the city limits of a suburb in the metro area of the state capital. We have a pool, a hot tub, dozens of trees, and a creek that circles the back of the property. All the houses in this area have about the same. It was perfect when the kids were in school.

Now the city is catching up. The street that leads to the area is being widened and several new additions have developed nearby. There is a walmart three miles away and more huge houses on miniscule lots are moving in all around us.

My husband and I both own acreages farther out and we have an acreage in a very remote area. I was talking to a friend tonight who is moving to New York City. I told her we were thinking of moving in some direction. Either to one of the very remote areas or New York City. She laughed. Boy what a wide diversithy of choice.

We probably won't do anything at all until my husband retires, but I can certainly see the advantages of downsizing either to the country or to the city.

I would love to live in New York City. It energizes me, but it does seem awfully complex. I also love the solitude of the country.

I admire those of you who have acted on the impulse of each age to move where your wishes and/or jobs take you. I guess I will have to become more mobile if I am going to keep up with my dreams as they change with age.

smile

[ April 02, 2006, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#81340 - 04/03/06 02:29 AM Re: Downsizing...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, boy do you have options. That's great. I can't see you moving from your family. Could you really do that?

Flossie, sounds like a great set-up you have. I especially like the beach house.

I think I would like to move to a small town on the water, but I don't know if I could move away from family and friends. It's a tough decision.

#81341 - 04/03/06 03:40 AM Re: Downsizing...
smilinize Offline

Actually Dotsie, you're right. I probably couldn't move away from my family. They would probably follow no matter where I go. Of couse NYC might be a stretch. I just love it there though--mainly for the musical theater.

I was talking to a guy the other day who I didn't know, but who knew me. I asked how he knew of me. He said I was the only person he knew of in the whole state who was writing musicals. He's probably right. I've not heard of anyone else either. I'm sure they are somewhere, but it's just not a real job here. I dream of being somewhere where writing musicals is a real job. Maybe better left a dream.

smile

#81342 - 04/03/06 11:09 PM Re: Downsizing...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I don't think so. Maybe just another stage? Why not try visiting NYC more often, or doing a months stay for rejuvination at times?

#81343 - 04/03/06 11:53 PM Re: Downsizing...
smilinize Offline

Actually I just posted a note on a website I joined for writers of musicals. Almost all of those who post are from NYC and a few from Chicago. It is refreshing to read posts from people who see writing a musical as a reality.

Maybe that will fulfill my need to communicate with musical makers for now. The world wide web is a great thing.

smile

#81344 - 04/04/06 01:32 AM Re: Downsizing...
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:

I would love to live in New York City. It energizes me, but it does seem awfully complex. I also love the solitude of the country.

smile

Oh smile I totally agree with you there, I love the energy of city life but also the solitude of the country is wonderful. Then again I love the ocean sounds and smells!!

But New York, I wanted to live there after my visit.

#81345 - 07/21/06 02:10 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: flossie]
DebShines Offline

Loc: Brisbane Australia
Oh...I have just noted in a different thread that My husband and I would like to live in England or America for a while in a couple of years time. Currently our home is five bedroom and I can see that at least one or two bedrooms will free up over the next few years. Chatting to all these boomers has given me the thought to ensuite a bedroom and invite boomers from this forum to stay over should they wish to visit Brisbane. We could have a network all over the world where our web friends can stay and see the world at the same time. We could even look into the house swapping thing if all the children are living elsewhere!!!

#81346 - 07/21/06 08:20 AM Re: Downsizing... [Re: DebShines]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Debshines: You seeking to retire outside Australia? Come to England! The social structure is more or less the same so adjusting would be a breeze. The British husband decided to settle the family in the UK from the US 16 years ago and though the medium is English, the culture and lifestyle...different kettle of fish. Moved here when Sunday trading was not the norm. Took some time to get the hang of things and enjoyed shopping for bread at the bakers, meat at the butchers, veg at the greengrocers, fish at the fishmongers etc. It is, however, starting to develop much like in US cities where small village traders are being forced out in favour of supermarkets. Nevertheless, all is still beautiful. My youngest sister who was born in NY was brought up in Canberra but now lives in Perth. Brother-in-law is in Melbourne, another in Sydney. So, you can balance the scale and move up here from down there.

It's a lovely idea to have pockets of places where BWS folks can check into when they go trotting around the globe as you've suggested. I'd throw in my lot and be a happy innkeeper as soon as BWS gets around to organising things of the sort.

#81347 - 07/21/06 02:17 PM Re: Downsizing... [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Love the idea of us traveling and staying with one another. I could organize it in some way, but I would have to be certain that BWS was in no way responsible should anything happen. I would feel awful if some weirdo got in on this. How do you know when doing things like that online. I know it's done, but it's risky. What do you think?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved