The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81269 - 05/29/06 09:22 AM Relocation
Scorpio115 Offline

Loc: New York
Need to get some feedback on those who've made a move to another state either to join children or just to relocate to enter a 55+ community. I need honesty on how you really feel about the move, particularly if it was a radical change, which would include leaving friends and family members behind. Do you like your new environment? Have you any regrets? Did you have a difficult time making the decision? How was the adjustment period? And woould you do it again if you could go back in time?

#81270 - 06/09/06 06:51 AM Re: Relocation
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Scorpio115, Sorry no one seemed to see this post but here is my 2 cents....I lived most of my life in Indiana surrounded by relatives and friends and then got remarried and moved to Illinois but still only an hours drive from all my family etc. I lived there 14 years. After that divorce my sons and I moved to Colorado, both my sisters were there so that was okay to a point. We moved back to Illinois as the pickens were slim job wise where we lived in Loveland. After a year or so we moved to Las Vegas and for awile I was in heaven. I took a job rtransfer to a newspaper in D.C. for three years but wanted to be back in Vegas for the birth of my grandson. I began to notice that people were cold, indifferent there, mostly transients and no one really made friends in Vegas. I had no problem making the decision to move to Vegas and still love the climate. I miss all my relatives and mostly my mother. I had to think very hard about would I do it again and to be honest "I would not." I would stay in Chicago and be able to drive home whenever I wanted to visit my mom etc. I've been here now for about 16 years so this is home and here I stay. I am very involved in my community now and my kids lives. Luckily they are here and wouldn't don't to relocate. Its a big decision and can be a wonderful one. In a 55+ community you are more likely to make friends faster. There is always a period of adjustment no matter where you move to. I still prefer greener surroundings, lots of trees. Living here in a so called paradise is also stressful because everyone coming here for a 'vacation' wants to get together which is nice but difficult because I am not on vacation, I live and work here and I work alot of hours. I hate the strip traffic and avoid it at all costs. I've decided that anyone wanting to visit can come to me, off the strip, that would make it much easier for my limited time schedule and convenience. There are alot of great places off the strip I go to and the food is good and the slots are loose. Thats just the way it has to be....Good luck whatever you decide.

#81271 - 06/09/06 05:50 PM Re: Relocation
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
scorpio, sorry this got covered immediately. Thanks chatty for bringing it back.

#81272 - 06/18/06 08:23 AM Re: Relocation
Scorpio115 Offline

I waited and kept checking back but no one had answered so I stayed away. Thanks to both of you for repsonding. I'm glad I didn't give up.
I like this site and look to it for support with my many issues.
We still can't make a decision, so we just sit and think. As time doesn't stand still, why are we? Well, there's reasons to go and reasons to stay. Maybe someday we'll just make up our minds and do it for ourselves.

#81273 - 06/18/06 08:54 AM Re: Relocation
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Sorry you didn't get more feedback Scorpio115 but I just didn't have any input of value...Maybe someone will see it that possibly didn't see it before and give some tips.

JJ

#81274 - 06/18/06 05:07 PM Re: Relocation
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
We relocated five years ago - but not for retirement. DH and I took a job transfer after both the kids had flown the nest.

It was truly an adventure. We met great people and had a great time. But, when it was time to retire - we came back home. We still had family - kids, parents and extended relatives - and felt that that was were we should be.

We have just moved into a detached condo on a golf course. We plan on travelling this winter (getting out of the snow belt.)

It's hard to be away from loved ones. You always think that everyone will visit - but the truth is that if you want to see them - you pack up and go to them. We had a wonderful home in the south that we wanted our friends and family to enjoy. But, outside of sending our kids airline tickets - we were alone. Only one couple that we have been friends with since high school days made the trip.

We couldn't fly back for every holiday and so we spent most of them alone. I do think it made our marriage stronger - because we only had each other - but if your marriage isn't on solid ground to begin with, I think it could be a disaster.

For us, this will be 'home' for now. In time, if the kids move out of state, my parents are both gone, MIL is 80 and still independent but for how long?? There still might be one more move left in us - to a place with warmer winters. But, for now, we'll just hunker down here, follow the sun when we've had too much snow.

#81275 - 06/19/06 07:40 AM Re: Relocation
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I missed this thread.

My husband's job keeps us moving a lot.

I like meeting new people and seeing new sights. It can be quite an adventure if you keep that mindset. I told him I'd follow him anywhere except Gallup, New Mexico!

I don't like being away from my kids/grandkids. We've talked about moving closer when he retires but who knows when that will be? He's showing no signs of stopping work for now. He talked about it for about five minutes but changed his mind the next day so who knows?

So, we just fly to visit family and it gets rid of the ache in my arms to hold my grandchildren.

#81276 - 06/23/06 03:37 AM Re: Relocation
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I moved to Florida from Los Angeles for the wrong reason (a man). That's not the only reason, but I thought it was a good enough reason. I was wrong. I've been in Florida, alone, for almost 11 years. I went back to school, had a few jobs, now working at the same place for almost 2-1/2 years, and I find it difficult to build lasting relationships. Daytona Beach has grown so much it isn't the quaint little town I moved to. Lots of transients and tourists now. I was happy to get away from the big city and find my self in a developing big city. There are times I wish I never left LA and times I'm glad I did. Whatever you do, make sure it's for the right reason.

#81277 - 06/23/06 03:41 AM Re: Relocation
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Scorpio, I forgot to mention that wherever you think about moving, please check the annual weather reports. The way climates are changing you don't want to move to known tornado/ hurricane/earthquake country unless you know what you're getting into.

#81278 - 06/25/06 08:00 AM Re: Relocation
Scorpio115 Offline

We do want to make a change, but where we were thinking of heading is not where we belong I realize. Probably, even though the timing wasn't right, we would've been working towards that destination all along. The reasons for staying remain the same, but the reasons for going have now changed. Trying to fit it won't work. We thought we'd go to where our other son and his family are. Our only grandchildren are there. But we no longer feel welcome. We were kidding ourselves, or maybe we knew it all along. What move we make will now be only for ourselves, if we move at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved