The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#81248 - 12/16/06 05:29 PM Re: looking ahead
Patsy Offline

Yes, driving the school bus is different from a car but, after a few days it would surprise you at the ease (like driving an RV). Just found out that the rules of retirement changed this year -- you need 10 years (instead of the 5 I stated) in order to get the paid health insurance. I am so blessed that I started last year (when the 5 year requirement was in effect).

Today is yard work day -- gotta get the rest of those pesky leaves up. It's really warm in NC today (high to be 70) so I'm taking advantage of it.

Happy Holidays and thanks for the warm welcome!

Patsy

#81249 - 12/16/06 11:12 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Patsy]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Dodged a bullet there, Patsy. I can hear you counting your blessings.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#81250 - 12/16/06 11:40 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Saundra]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Talk about cutting it close. Whew!

#81251 - 12/17/06 12:48 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Louisa]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Celebrate! Way to go! I am dancing right now for you.

I am going to visit my retirement association during my winter holiday. I will find out when I can retire from education with a full pension and partial insurance (I will pay a hefty stipend, but will have good insurance). But, I am only retiring from my full time employment.

I will continue life coaching and education consulting for at least another 10 years after my retirement. And since I am constantly learning, and writing new goals, I am sure that all of this will evolve into yet another career. I really have no interest in "retiring" but I am looking forward to the freedom of choosing my hours and my dream job description.

#81252 - 01/22/07 04:46 AM Re: looking ahead
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well, some people are lucky to think about retirement. I see myself working until 65. My partner's pension can't support both of us.

However I do find it abit freaky that 1 friend who is same age as myself (nearing 48) will be able to take early retirement in 6 yrs. She's worked for the police since finishing high school. Geez. Hard to think of someone my age...retired.

I've worked to earn my money since graduating from university many moons ago.

Yes, have developed several passions along the way. So I don't need to plan..more ..get time.

#81253 - 01/22/07 05:56 AM Re: looking ahead [Re: orchid]
denanz Offline

Loc: Tempe Arizona
All I want for retirement is financial freedom. Not to be a millionare but just enough to pay my bills, go on vacation once in awhile and enough to help my kids and their families if they need it. I do not want to be where I have to work. One thing I am grateful for is the native american blood I have. Health care costs should not be a problem.

www.denisesgifts.com

#81254 - 01/22/07 08:17 AM Re: looking ahead [Re: denanz]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
ah… 1, ah…. 2, ah….. 123

All I want for retirement is all my teeth,
all my teeth, yes all my teeth!
throw in tons of money and a 4 wheel jeep
And I'm gone from the working world.

#81255 - 01/26/07 02:07 AM Re: looking ahead [Re: Edelweiss]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
denanz, I don't understand. Why would healthcare not be a problem for you?

#81256 - 01/26/07 11:52 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Louisa]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Hannelore, do you know that one out of three women will have none of her original teeth by the age of 65? I learned that while doing research for my book.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#81257 - 01/27/07 07:59 PM Re: looking ahead [Re: Saundra]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
That scares me, Saundra... I have this one tooth that is forever bothering me. There is nothing visibly wrong with it... it might just be an over active nerve causing the problem. Loosing my teeth would be the worst part of aging for me. Love my gray hair. Don't mind my rounding body. I can deal with my bifocals. But, to loose my teeth, for some reason would be a negative touchstone. URK!

Retirement for me - I've wanted to create a retreat for women and children for years. We have 10 unused acres. I want to construct a huge ten barn (insulated, heated and cooled, of course). Inside the walls, I'd have a library, a 30-min. gym (similar to or even a Curves unit), a restroom with a shower and sauna, an art room, a tutoring room, and a huge main room (a gathering place) with a wall-sized fireplace. The library would contain only books having something to do with self-improvement: physical, mental, emotional, etc.. The gathering room would take up the majority of the footprint of the barn and be used for seminars/speakers, chat sessions, poetry readings, etc., trying to help women in different stages in their lives - all would be guests speakers, there would not be a resident speaker. I would even bring in a dance teacher for some dance lessons (so the gathering room would have to be quite large) and/or a voice coach. I would also have on board a visiting nurse, a psychologist, a nutritionist, a trainer and maybe a masseuse. Membership would be cafeteria style, each member choosing what parts to buy into, but they'd have option of add-ons, picking other activities and events, as desired.
Outside there would be walking trails (for pray and meditation), a chapel, gardens (members could even work in them as payment), a cottage or two for weekend gettaways (for women only).
Most of the adult related activities and events would be held in the late evenings and on the weekends. For children I'd hold tutoring sessions, etiquette classes, and other social events, in hopes of preparing them for a happy and healthy life.

I know this doesn't sound like a retirement plan, but it's what I'd like to be part of - in the background, but partaking.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved