The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#81228 - 05/15/06 06:04 PM looking ahead
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
If you aren't retired yet, what are you looking forward to in your retirement?

This is so crazy forme because I've always stayed home. Now that I've launched BWS and NABBW, some friends are talking about retirement and I'm thinking...I'm just getting started.

#81229 - 05/16/06 07:59 AM Re: looking ahead
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Oh Dotsie, that sounds like me! I think, gee - I could have more money and more time to relax if I wasn't working on my biz... but then, I guess I'm just not the type to lay around for long.

Ideally, retirement for me means having enough money to travel and see the country/world. I also enjoy swaying in a hammock on a nice warm beach with a great book.

One thing I wish is that I had kept a journal all my life. Every year at our anniversary, my hubby and I speculate on where we'll be in 5 - 10 - or 20 years. If I had kept a journal, it would be so fun to look back and compare what we thought with what actually happened!

#81230 - 05/16/06 02:50 AM Re: looking ahead
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Now that my kids are grownups..I feel like I have been forced into retirement..kicking and screaming all the way I might add...I am trying to decide what to do with the rest of my life...haven't hit on anything that I am really passionate about yet!!!...but talking to all of you passionate and fearless and very strong women..has really motivated me...hopefully one day soon I'll find something I can feel good about doing.

#81231 - 05/29/06 05:32 AM Re: looking ahead
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Well, I'm looking forward to it. It means NO MORE TIME CLOCKS! My husband recently retired and is enjoying it. He has plenty to do. I plan to retire in a few more years. I hope to travel a little more. Nothing exotic, just our Disney Vacation Club trips, weekend getaways up north, and we hope to go to Hawaii. I want to devote more time to my writing. It's so difficult at this stage working full time. I used to paint too, but gave it up. Maybe I will take it up again when I'm retired.

Louisa

#81232 - 05/29/06 07:26 AM Re: looking ahead
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I don't want to retire . I do temp work and I hate it I would love to work three days and week. You see though when you reach 50's employers don't want to hire you . Age > I hate it . It is very hard getting a job at 50. I hate it when I don't have much work and stay at home I am bored stiff . I want to write some and volunteer some . They say if you volunteer somethings you can find a job .

Yes, when you reach 50 they don't want you anymore .

#81233 - 05/29/06 05:03 PM Re: looking ahead
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I absolutely love retirement but I've never worked harder in my life! When I worked a full time job it was 8-5, 5 days a week. Now that I'm retired and writing, speaking, and working for Dots, I work 7 days a week and love every minute of it.

It's not like work, it's like playing. I'm sure the reason is I'm finally doing what I love to do.

The thoughts of getting out there again in the corporate world makes my butt want to crochet barbwire...no thanks!

JJ

#81234 - 05/29/06 06:29 PM Re: looking ahead
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I have a friend who's retiring in July. I need to show her your post. She's a little worried about what's she's going to do with her time. She's already talking about getting another job. I want to be sure it's something she's passionate about. I'm so glad retirement is working so well for you. But I'm confused. Why does someone in their 30s retire?

#81235 - 05/29/06 06:40 PM Re: looking ahead
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I was forced into early retirement by my last breakdown and the ensuing depression and chronic fatigue. After 32 years of working (and much of it involving long hours and extensive overtime), it took a long time to learn how to relax and enjoy life. The thing I love most about being retired is that I get to pick and choose what I want to do, when I want to do it and how long I want to do it for! After years of trying to keep up with everyone else's drumbeats, I'm finally living life at my own pace and am much healthier for it.

[ May 29, 2006, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#81236 - 05/29/06 09:23 PM Re: looking ahead
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Eagle Heart,
I agree with you, that "retirement" means living by your own internal drummer -- not that of someone else. For me, retirement means choosing the work I love and living the life I want. Sometimes it's scary because it's different from the norm (I'm only 54), but I've always been out of step with most of the rest of the world! :--))

#81237 - 06/02/06 06:42 PM Re: looking ahead
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, isn't it a shame it takes getting to retirement to be able to do that? I'm sure you enjoyed your life prior to retirement but the change of pace has been good for you. I think it would be good for everyone. Less responsibilities, more peace!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved