The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81211 - 04/08/06 08:37 AM Help – Newly Retired
Heather Black Offline

Loc: New York
Ever since I retired my favorite past times are to read books and watching television – I’m especially interested in biographies and biographical TV shows. I must admit I love learning about how the rich and famous live their lives. Their determination inspires me and it is comforting to learn that they are real people too. Can anyone suggest any good biographies or TV programs?

#81212 - 04/08/06 04:06 PM Re: Help – Newly Retired
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Welcome Heather.

Mind telling us what you retired from?

I am not a fan of TV, but I love to read.

I don't know what kind of bios you like to read, but if you like to be inspired, try reading Ben Carson's autobios. Check him out at Amazon.

He may not be considered rich by many, but he is a famous brain surgeon who lives in Baltimore.

I hope you'll jump around and post in other forums too.

#81213 - 04/10/06 07:39 AM Re: Help – Newly Retired
Heather Black Offline

Loc: New York
Hi Dotsie,

Thank you for your welcome!

I’m a retired secretary – I held this position for over 35 years. I must admit that at times I really miss interacting with people. But I keep my self busy at my church and I also recently joined a local community center that caters to retirees. Thank you for the "Carson" recommendation – I’ll visit Amazon. What else do you do to occupy your time besides reading?

I would like to recommend an engaging television program - “Living in TV Land” on TV Land, the program follows the lives of popular television stars. You may be familiar with Adam West aka Batman (60s), well he is going to be on this Wednesday night. See www.tvland.com/originals/litvl/ for the schedule. I realize that you are not a fan of TV but I think you will like it.

#81214 - 04/10/06 09:12 PM Re: Help – Newly Retired
Dreamer Offline

Hey, Heather! Welcome! Try "Walk Across America" by Peter Jenkins. I read it with a book club many years ago and loved it; I bought a copy for my husband last year and he liked it so much he read all the other autobiographical books by Peter Jenkins.

Sounds like you're making a great start on getting used to retirement! You've joined groups and found us! I took early retirement 2-1/2 years ago when we moved from Colorado to South Carolina. Boy, that was some kind of culture shock! Like you, I love to read, have met a lot of new friends through Newcomers, found this website, and took up scrapbooking - I love scrapbooking! A new hobby helps, too.

Tell us more about you! Children? Grandchildren? We're all ears!
Dreamer

#81215 - 04/11/06 02:25 AM Re: Help – Newly Retired
Tami Offline

Loc: Kansas
If you enjoy reading history and/or anything on strong women, I've got a good one for you!

Cokie Roberts' "Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation"

I was astonished, amazed, and thoroughly engaged while reading this book. It's about the wives of the men involved in the Revolution all taken from written correspondence and diaries/journals of these women. The courage and energy these women demonstrated in a time when women weren't thought of as much other than housekeepers and bedwarmers is astounding!

Tami

#81216 - 04/11/06 05:02 AM Re: Help – Newly Retired
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
This book sounds like something I would love! Writing that down and thanks for posting it Tami!

JJ

#81217 - 04/23/06 02:52 AM Re: Help – Newly Retired
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The History channel also does some magnificient portrayals of the woman behind the man that is fascinating.

#81218 - 04/25/06 06:15 AM Re: Help – Newly Retired
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Tami and all, I wonder if the women who wrote these diaries and journals knew how they might one day be used.

Do any of you journal?

If so, do you have plans for them after you die?

I know this sounds crazy, but mine are very personal and I wonder if I really want tohers reading them once I'm gone.

Thoughts?

#81219 - 04/25/06 10:44 PM Re: Help – Newly Retired
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Once I'm gone, I doubt there is much they could do to reach me to fuss about something I wrote...it would be long distance...so I'm not worried about it. What?

JJ

#81220 - 04/26/06 02:05 AM Re: Help – Newly Retired
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I agree and unless they are channelers and you believe in that stuff 'YOUR HOME FREE' no matter what you wrote or write..... [Cool] [Smile] [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Razz] [Eek!]

#81221 - 04/26/06 07:55 AM Re: Help – Newly Retired
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I wouldn't want mine found because other people, especially my children, might be hurt. I shred mine after a few years routinely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved