The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#81175 - 06/12/06 03:38 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
IMO, the traditional meaning of retirement is going to change, first of all in the fact that many people will either choose to/or have to keep working in some capacity, and second, for those who do have the money to not have to work, it will be more active and a whole lot less of the old stereotype of someone getting bored out of their tree around the house, or playing shuffleboard somewhere. If the "retirees" are in reasonably good health, they will most likely be travelling, continuing their by-now-solidly-established physical fitness routines as appropriate for their bodies, or starting up a small business/consultancy of some sort if they haven't already done so. But for those who DON'T have boatloads of money(not even close), we will have to exact some sort of income until the day we drop. That doesn't have to be all bad, however, especially if one can find some mode of being self-employed. Computers are great for this!
As for myself, I have a saying, "Artists never retire - they just might change media!" meaning that age should never have anything to do with doing artistic activity. Many artists work until their eyesight fails them altogether, well into their late 80's, 90's, etc.
My husband started collecting SS two years ago, but he picks up jobs here and there. We've basically lived on one part-time job for many years. We can do this as we live simply and there's an amazing amount of stuff that we DON'T spend money on. We never went for the whole nine yards as far as having the expensive house(we've never owned property of any sort), cars, clothing, etc., nor cared to, so simple living has been in our daily life for a very long time now, whereas there are many people who are only now starting to get the idea that it might be appropriate now to downshift, to allow for changing lifestyles and reducing overhead. Our health continues to be very good, which we hope will continue to be the case for a very long time. One big medical expense can wipe out the best-laid of plans. We have never had health insurance our whole lives - we instead instigated the DIY model which consists of very healthy living.

#81176 - 06/13/06 03:43 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well I am suppose to be retired since quiting my phone job...perish the thought!! This is my retirement schedule:

Monday ...
work in Mystic Publishers office days and Henderson Writers club at night.

Tuesday ...
water aerobics, run all errands, hair, groceries, clean the house, do laundry.

Wednesday ...
Water aerobics and back to Mystic Publishers office.

Thursday ...
water aerobics and to the Nursing home to cook a meal and interact with the residents, singing, art, reading aloud whatever!

Friday ...
back to Mystic Publishers office, post office mailing off manuscripts.

Saturday ...
animal shelter for loving all and cleaning up the animals. Dinner with friends (maybe)

Sunday ...
Church and if lucky a visit with my sons family.

**Every night until about midnight I am editing manuscripts in my home office...I also get on line with BWS, NABBW and others sites every chance I get...
I also get called at all hours to pick up strays or abused, confiscated animals to foster.
Okay, so when does my "retirement" kick in, or is this all she wrote, geesh!!!

[ June 12, 2006, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#81177 - 06/13/06 11:46 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Chatty...you are an inspiration to us all..I wish I had half of your energy... [Smile] ...and I am still so jealous that you get to do water aerobics all year long.. [Smile]

#81178 - 06/14/06 03:45 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I quit water aerobocs in the winter months sweetie because although not really that cold I don't want to take a chance getting out of the heated pool and catching a chill. Already had the pneumonia scare a few years back, so sick, yuk....Do do the hot tub thats inside the building however.

[ June 14, 2006, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#81179 - 06/14/06 06:27 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option?
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Good thinking Chatty....that hot tub sounds very inviting.. [Smile]

#81180 - 08/01/06 03:53 PM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option? [Re: Noreen Braman]
heather72 Offline
stranger

Loc: Dracut, MA
I AM 34 AND HAVE NO SAVED RETIREMENT YET! THIS IS ALSO SOMETHING I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT AND FIND VERY SCARY. THAT IS WHY I BECAME AN INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT WITH A NETWORK MARKETING COMPANY FOR EXTRA INCOME. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED PLEASE E-MAIL ME. I HOPE TO RETIRE EARLY WITH THIS OPPORTUNITY!
HEATHER

Edited by heather72 (08/01/06 04:01 PM)

#81182 - 08/03/06 08:09 PM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option? [Re: ]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Just a thought, Anne. It depends on how bad your back pain is. Maybe you can find a job within a well-to do family, to take care of an elderly person. They may take over your retirement payments...and you have a family again.

#81184 - 02/26/07 04:03 AM Re: Anyone Else Realize that Retirement Will never be an Option? [Re: ]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Anne, you may want to do a google search for 'the secret' It has helped many of my friends and family. It's a DVD.
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved