The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80922 - 03/06/06 06:13 PM summer clothes?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What's everyone looking at for this summer? And I don't want to hear moo-moos (how do you spell that word?) and elastic waist pants...

#80923 - 03/06/06 09:35 PM Re: summer clothes?
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Hi Dots, it's Muu Muus...Oh, those free-flowing tents! [Roll Eyes]

For summer, I'm looking for a few pair of new shorts, maybe a new sundress or two, and of course, tops, in this summer's in colors. I'm also in the market for a few pair of jeans...the new higher-waisted ones. I haven't purchased many jeans in the last couple of years, due to my dislike of the low-rise horrors. I'll be on the look-out for a new bathing suit, too. I usually retire the last year's one to beachwear, and purchase a new one for wearing at the pool. Nothing like one season of ocean and sun to take its toll on a suit!

http://www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#80924 - 03/07/06 12:05 AM Re: summer clothes?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
T-shirts and peddal pushers, long summer dresses and a new sun hat!

#80925 - 03/07/06 01:04 AM Re: summer clothes?
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Di, oh girl, have I got the summer sun hat for you! I love big wide-brimmed hats, with that gentle, sloping, front tip-down...know what I mean? While on vacation last year, I came across one that I knew would be my favorite for some time to come. It came with a rawhide drawstring chin thingy, which I immediately removed. I opt for a hat band I create with a silk scarf, choosing one with colors that compliment whatever outfit I'm wearing. This bit of foo-foo transforms this wide-brimmed beauty into a fashion accessory that garners many compliments, and queries as to where I found it. The image you'll see at the site below does no justice to the look of the hat...I first saw mine displayed on a hat rack, which allowed me to note how fine was that sweeping front brim. The hat,lying flat gives no indication of the look one may achieve by wearing it... You really can't get the idea of how great a look it is, by this picture, but to wear it is to love it!

http://tulahats.com/frameset.html

http://www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#80926 - 03/07/06 02:25 AM Re: summer clothes?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I just had to purchase some warm weather clothes for the meeting I went to in southern CA. I bought some capris, even though I don't really like them on short people, but they are so comfortable. I wore them a lot. I also bought a longer, fuller skirt and top from J Jill. Other than that, I usually wear cotton skirts just above my knee with a t-shirt - it's my summer uniform. I better get this old body ready for them.

Daisygirl

#80927 - 03/07/06 09:57 PM Re: summer clothes?
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Going to check out JJill as we speak. Then I'm off to find an outfit for my s-i-l's wedding in VA in a couple of weeks. I was going to wear what I have, but my hubby will be giving the bride away. So I decided to treat myself to something new.

#80928 - 03/07/06 11:49 PM Re: summer clothes?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Since summer is basically year round for us here in Florida, we wear our summer clothes a lot. It's a basic uniform, t-shirt and shorts.

I'm up for some new shorts, mine are now too big for me and kinda sag and bag between my knees. I'm having a hard time finding some. Anyone have suggestions? I'd like them with side pockets and length just above the knee. Button up is fine, and so is elastic waist.

I love the short sets in the catalogs, but they usually don't sell them separately. I have a "bigger" top and a "smaller" bottom. Makes for some frustrating shopping.

#80929 - 06/17/06 08:35 PM Re: summer clothes?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
I love my below the waist bootcut jeans - higher-rise pants don't look good on me at all and I've been so glad that better pants have been around the last couple of years! I don't, however wear the really-low rise jeans though. As I mentioned on another thread on the Fashion section, I love the fact that there's something else to wear top-wise that's as comfortable/easy to wear as a t-shirt, but a whole lot prettier - and, not everything is skintight either. The empire-waisted tops and dresses come to mind! I also enjoy the detailing and ornamentation on the newer clothes too, which range from all-out boho-girl to sharper, edgier looks. If really fancy stuff doesn't suit, then an accessory that's unusual can do it! I like to wear unusual combos of things anyway - like short over long over jeans, any old time of year - just the fabrics change. I also like and look good in COLORS(not necessarily blaring, but RICH) - safe, "tasteful neutrals", and other overly-muted colors that we're supposedly supposed to wear "at our age" don't do it for me. Not everyone benefits from playing it "safe" style-wise. If you wear colors that suit your skintone, and clothes that suit your physique, whatever that is, you'll look great - and there is lots of info out there!

#80930 - 06/17/06 10:15 PM Re: summer clothes?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Cara4art, you know what? I really like you. Must be because you're from New Mexico, my birth state and I have some relatives still living there. No, that's not it. You are my kind of woman. I'm 58 and I love fashion. You wear a lot of the same clothes that I do. I refuse to wear granny looking outfits and I think, I refuse to grow up too!

I'm enjoying your messages.

#80931 - 06/17/06 10:42 PM Re: summer clothes?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I wish someone would dress me! I am so clueless when it comes to fashion. I'm afraid to accessorize because I think it looks gaudy or something. I wear barely any jewelry - just my earrings, sometimes a simple necklace or bracelet.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were some folks that could work in the department stores and give you HONEST advice on what looks good on you and how you should dress to show off your best parts? I'm sure there are some in the more expensive stores, but I can't really afford that.

Those of you who know your syle - I admire you!

Kathy

#80932 - 06/17/06 11:39 PM Re: summer clothes?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I know how you feel, Kathy. It took me 40+ years to really know what works for me, stylewise and color wise. I look (and feel) better in pastels. I don't wear black or red or anything bright. I've never been into jewelry too much, either, but discovered I love to wear ankle bracelets and toe rings. I've realized that from the knee down, my legs are pretty nice (thanks to walking) and I think I have pretty feet. I think it's good to draw the eye towards your best feature.

#80933 - 06/17/06 11:47 PM Re: summer clothes?
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
I am really enjoying fashion and having fun with clothes and accessories at this age of my life. For me it is part of creative expression and I am really having fun with it. I think I missed out on this phase when I was in high school and am making up for it now. I also use allot of color and love mixing interesting color combinations and texture. I will sometimes match my shoes to my earrings and necklace for fun. Of course it helps that I design and make jewelry so I have a variety to choose from:) I think you can have basics from anywhere in your clothes and zazz it up with a great handbag,shoes,belt,jewelry etc. Accessories can make the whole outfit. I am a great bargain hunter.....one way I get great wardrobe basics is the sale section of L.L.Bean and get their L.L.Bean credit card......I only use their card for them and I get free shipping and free monograming,so between the sale price and free shipping you get great deals!

#80934 - 06/17/06 11:57 PM Re: summer clothes?
Bluebird Offline

Oh, I always match my earrings to my top and in the colder weather, I like to match my socks to my top.

#80935 - 06/18/06 12:41 AM Re: summer clothes?
cara4art Offline

to Dianne:
I'm not originally from New Mexico - have been here 12 years, 10 of them in a rural community 27 miles away from Santa Fe. But New Mexico, and Santa Fe in particular, tends to be a magnet for independent women. My husband and I however, are putting it out there to be able to relocate, as I am SERIOUSLY missing the ocean after so long away from it. Just occasional trips to the ocean won't do it either, and lakes and rivers don't do it for me(I grew up oceanside, on the East coast, but returning there is not an option at all for me, plus I really like the progressive West coast alot better, esp. northern California). It was REALLY hard to return to our little town after our last trip to San Francisco a couple of months ago.
But back to clothes, fortunately I don''t have a straight job that necessitates "professional, safe" clothes, and like you, I refuse to just wear granny stuff, esp. when what I already wear looks good on me. I forgot to mention shoes - mine absolutely HAVE to be comfortable from the moment I try them on in the store, otherwise they don't come home with me. Fortunately, there are all kinds of fun, flat, funky comfy shoes around. No killer heels for me. In Santa Fe, you don't see a lot of high heels, as women tend to be more independent and often active.

#80936 - 06/18/06 01:34 AM Re: summer clothes?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Oh, you don't know that I'm the shoe queen of this site, do you? At last count, I had 118 pairs but have added more since then. I love high heels with a dress but anymore I can barely bend over the next morning after wearing them. My lower back kinks up. Must be an age thing, darn it!

I have a ton of jewelry, some real and some costume and some really beautiful scarves but I don't know how or I forget how to accesorize. I see women who put together a classy outfit and realize I could do that too but I forget or don't know how or something!!! I think it's an artistic thing.

So someone, anyone, give some clues here! What is the secret?

I was born and raised in Silver City. A nothing, copper town. Very small. I like Santa Fe but would not want to live there. I need green grass and trees after living in AZ for so many years. My husband's job keeps us moving so I get to experience a lot of different terrain.

#80937 - 06/18/06 01:40 AM Re: summer clothes?
Bluebird Offline

Cara, you're not in Chimayo, are you? My husband and I went to Santa Fe 2 weeks ago and since then, about 4 people have come into the store and said we HAVE to go to Chimayo. I'm in a little town in CO, about 35 miles north of Chama, NM.
I also grew up in the east, 70 miles north of NYC. WE kind of miss the beach too, and can't wait to take a trip to CA to check out the Pacific.

#80938 - 06/18/06 01:41 AM Re: summer clothes?
Bluebird Offline

Dianne, I thought you have to cut back on the shoes since you moved to a smaller home?? Do you rent a storage unit for those babies?

#80939 - 06/18/06 02:27 AM Re: summer clothes?
cara4art Offline

No, I'm in Galisteo, 27 miles south of Santa Fe. Big difference between the two. Outside of the fact that Chimayo was "picturesque", did not care for the vibe there, as there is a huge undercurrent of suffering due to a huge heroin problem and related crime. I had a friend who built her own adobe house there, and she had to move as she was really harassed alot. She's no creampuff, either.

#80940 - 06/18/06 02:37 AM Re: summer clothes?
Bluebird Offline

Well if we go it will be to see the old church there and have dinner at what is supposed to be a great restaurant. So sorry to hear about your friend beng harassed. I know there is a huge meth problem in our part of the country, didn't know about the heroin. There is so much sadness and bondage in the world.

#80941 - 06/18/06 06:50 AM Re: summer clothes?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Bluebird, I tried, I really did, to cut back on the shoe buying but there is this evil shoe spirit that haunts me day and night!

Now, don't laugh but I actually have rented a storage unit for my clothes and shoes! I have a closet the size of a postage stamp in this flat so what's a girl to do?

The storage unit is less than a mile from the flat so I can take clothes and shoes back and forth to get a variety.

Luckily, I have a husband who understands. It's not like he wasn't warned before we married. I told him in plain English about my shoe fetish so he has no defense now.

#80942 - 06/18/06 08:19 PM Re: summer clothes?
Bluebird Offline

Well don't sweat it, Dianne. The evil shoe spirit is really one of the "lesser" evil spirits!!
Someday, I may need a storage unit for books.

#80943 - 06/18/06 09:52 PM Re: summer clothes?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have one of those evil spirits surrounding me as well...It's called Mr. Oreo....and let me tell ya, this spirit is dastardly! (Is that a word?)

JJ

#80944 - 06/19/06 08:29 PM Re: summer clothes?
Val Offline

Oh Diane, I love shoes also, altho you have me beat on numbers I'm sure. Maybe we can share best shoe websites or deals........
Val

#80945 - 06/19/06 09:03 PM Re: summer clothes?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I rarely order online because I like to try them on. If it's a brand I already have, then I know their sizing. I was told Pamela Anderson and Jessica Simpson have shoes online but haven't checked them out yet and I'm sure they will be for younger women although, some of the flat shoes out there aren't age related.

Yes...another shoe groupie. Yea!!!!! I almost bought another pair yesterday. Cole Haan was having a huge sale. The one's I liked hurt my big toe though. I don't do painful, no matter how cute they look.

#80946 - 06/19/06 11:14 PM Re: summer clothes?
Val Offline

I am big on comfort also. One kind I like are aerosoles(sp?) I have two pair of the brightly colored suede wedges. They have great sales. I am a lazy driver so online works good for me. For brands I know as you say.

#80947 - 06/20/06 11:41 PM Re: summer clothes?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

VAl and Dianne, have you always been in to comfort? I recall wearing adorable shoes that hurt like he-- to weddings back in the 70s. Now I go for comfort too! I have on my Eliza B flip-flops and love 'em. However, I need to get soem iwth a little support in the arch. Another sign of getting old-er.

#80948 - 06/20/06 11:57 PM Re: summer clothes?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

No. I used to wear killer heels but made my legs look great! Oh woman, thy name is vanity.

#80949 - 06/21/06 04:47 AM Re: summer clothes?
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Dianne, I am so happy to know that I am not the only shoe freak on this forum...my husband doesn't believe me...but shoe stores and shoe departments actually call my name when I am anywhere near them....handbags too...but I can resist them slightly better than I can shoes...fortunately my 3 daughters and I all wear the same shoe size...helps me to rationalize my purchases a little easier... [Big Grin]

#80950 - 06/21/06 05:10 AM Re: summer clothes?
cara4art Offline

Personally, if shoes aren't comfortable the minute I put them on, I don't buy them, no matter what the salesperson says. I used to buy shoes because they looked cool, instead of how they actually would fit my feet and allow me to walk unrestricted. Fortunately there are lots of fun, funky, comfortable flat styles. Santa Fe women are pretty independent in that area - comfy shoes abound, and you don't see "killer heels" that much, except when someone dresses up and isn't expecting to walk anywhere. Our terrain here isn't exactly conducive to high heels either, esp. out in the rural area. Heck, it's so harsh out here that sandals are contra-indicated!
Right now, I have 4 pairs of footwear total, including one pair of hiking boots. I don't have any "good shoes"(to even slightly get dressed-up in) currently. I could use a pair, but I am very lax about getting to a store to shop. My husband has urged me to shop for a pair of shoes if I want, also. I guess I'm every married man's dream - a woman who hates to shop!

#80951 - 06/21/06 04:46 PM Re: summer clothes?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

My husband might look you up because he doesn't believe women like you exist after being married to me.

I have an automatic pilot built in me that just knows where the good shoes are and my daughters don't wear my shoe size so I'm lucky.

Ladies, I leave this morning to fly to Nashville to get all of those shoes moved here. I've missed them. [Frown] They've been calling my name. See you in a week!

[ June 21, 2006, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#80952 - 06/22/06 07:29 AM Re: summer clothes?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I would rather have a root canal done than go shopping for shoes. I think I own three or four pairs and if memory serves me right, they were given to me as gifts. I am the barefoot kid. For sure.

Have fun Dianne getting your babies home (shoes). You'll be missed!

JJ

#80953 - 06/21/06 08:36 PM Re: summer clothes?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dianne, you make me laugh. We'll miss you.

Blondi, I didn't know you had three daughters. How many kids do you have? I recall you talking about a son who gave you a computer. Any other sons? Dag, you have almost as many kids as bluebird! I love big families.

cara, your neck of the woods sounds wonderful. Do you do much hiking?

Georgia, I was at the dentist last Monday. I STILL have a bruise on my chin. I love my dentist but hate it when he has to perform denistry on me. You can have the root canals and leave the shoe shopping to me...and I'm not a big shopper.

#80954 - 06/21/06 09:05 PM Re: summer clothes?
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
ewwww...Georgia please...stop this talk about root canals...i break out in a cold sweat just hearing about them.. [Smile]

Dianne...safe trip...have a wonderful reunion with all of your beautiful shoes...

Dotsie...Bluebird still has me beat ...I only have 4 kids..one boy and then 3 girls.and 2 puppyboys... [Smile]

#80955 - 06/24/06 02:12 AM Re: summer clothes?
Bluebird Offline

Oh I have you ALL beat!! And after 8 kids, I am BEAT!!

#80956 - 06/29/06 10:14 PM Re: summer clothes?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Oh glory. I walked into my closet and there were all my shoes, just waiting for me. David walked into the closet and caught me talking to one favorite pair and kissing them! He just turned around and walked out.

Now here is the killer. I had my Miracle Sandals set out to wear because I knew my feet and legs would be hurting from standing all day and they packed them! They went to storage. Good grief, Louise!

Hey, I've been doing the exfoliating and Coconut Oil thing and it really works. What a difference. My skin is as smooth as a baby butt.

#80957 - 06/29/06 10:26 PM Re: summer clothes?
Bluebird Offline

Kissing your shoes?
David is a saint...

[Razz]

#80958 - 06/29/06 10:38 PM Re: summer clothes?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

There are times I'd rather kiss my shoes than him! [Big Grin] [Wink]

#80959 - 06/29/06 10:48 PM Re: summer clothes?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I was going to say something like that but didn't have the nerve...those kinds of things are better coming from the actual kisser - or non-kisser - or shoe-kisser - whatever [Roll Eyes] I've never kissed my shoes (I know where they've been!) but have often kissed something precious that I've lost and then found again.

[ June 29, 2006, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#80960 - 06/29/06 10:48 PM Re: summer clothes?
Bluebird Offline

You're terrible!! But I DO know what you mean... [Big Grin]

#80961 - 06/30/06 12:18 AM Re: summer clothes?
cara4art Offline

to Dianne:
Glad to hear you like the body scrub and coconut oil! Isn't it great to find something simple and cheap that works?
to dotsie:
Where I currently live is very "hike-able". I don't "hike" myself, as I associate it with being a somewhat competitive group activity that takes place at a pre-determined time, where you have to keep up with everyone else and not stop to check anything out independently.(Can you tell I'm a loner, and not a team player??)I just like going out by myself for my 5-6 mile fairly fast walk - some days that's the only time I get to be alone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved