The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 152 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80852 - 02/07/06 07:36 AM Re: How about over 50 women?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wearing cute younger fashion is fine for the woman who has the figure to pull it off gracefully but there is nothing worse than a out of shape woman (at any age) trying to squeeze into slim cutsie fashions. They look ridiculous.

#80853 - 02/07/06 09:55 AM Re: How about over 50 women?
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
I think we are all smart enough to know whether we look good when we look at ourselves in the mirror...I think fashion is a form of self expression...and I agree with Dotsie about how the retailers are now appealing to designers to keep the 40+ women in mind now when they are creating their lines...I love some of the things my daughters (21, 24,27) wear...and lots of times I'll borrow a top or a jacket from them...and pair it up with my own jeans or skirts...but I have my own look...and I like to go out looking like me...not my daughter , or my friend...but myself...in something that makes me feel good about myself...and lately I feel good in things that are slightly tailored and fit me well...since I lost 30+ lbs in the past year I don't like anything that is the least bit baggy...but I can't stand tight either...too much a reminder of my "fat days"....I have found some great outfits in Ann Taylor Loft and I also love The White House/Black Market....they have trendy things without being over the top if you know what I mean...

#80854 - 02/07/06 02:17 PM Re: How about over 50 women?
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Actually there is a good example of what I'm talking about right here on this very website. On the Boomer women speak homepage here is a book promo titled "Aphrodite in Jeans." The cover photo is of an alluring woman in a cute tight little outfit who is presumably, midlife. I sometimes wear similar clothes and that's when I hear the comments about being too old, reliving my youth, past my prime, etc. etc....Yeah, and the outfit she's wearing didn't come from Coldwater Creek either! [Razz]

[ February 07, 2006, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: mrs_madness ]

#80855 - 02/08/06 08:42 AM Re: How about over 50 women?
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Ladies, I remember my youngest daughter, about fourteen at the time, and a trip we took, shopping for clothes. We were both shopping in the Junior section of a department store. I had been trying on jeans,and had tried on a pair that showed my figure to best advantage, with a fitted blouse. Another shopper made the comment to me that I looked great. As I went back into the changing room, my daughter, who had seen me in my new outfit, wandered off among the racks, to shop elsewhere. A few minutes later I felt a tap on my shoulder, as I was going through another rack of clothes, and turned to find my daughter standing there, holding up a pair of hot pink, polyester, elastic waist pants. She gave me this smile and said, 'Isn't this what you should be wearing, at your age?' I was thirty-seven at the time.

Of course, this was a joke, and all in fun, and even I had a good laugh at the time. But, later, when I thought about it, I wondered if maybe there wasn't some small grain of real feeling, on my daughter's part, in the little performance. A young teenage girl, coming face to face with her mom's, heaven forbid! womanliness, her sexuality!

A good deal of this age bias against we mature women, may indeed, have been felt at first, right in our own homes. A foreshadowing of what we would face, in years to come, in society at large.

http://www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#80856 - 02/08/06 08:53 AM Re: How about over 50 women?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Blondi, I just bought a top from White House Black Market. Every year we go to a black tie affair at the zoo. We go with a bunch of friends and refer to it as "the prom." I found a really neat sleeveless top with beading that I thought would look great with a pair of black fitted dress pants. That's about as black tie dressy as I get. I love that store.

My daughter bought a tasteful strapless black and white dress there that looks precious on her.

#80857 - 02/08/06 08:15 AM Re: How about over 50 women?
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Dotsie..I'll bet you look fantastic in your new beaded top...did you check out some of the dressy shoes they have this year...I have my eye on a fabulous pair but I'm waiting for them to go on sale( At Black and White)...I noticed they mark down everything every 6 week when their new stuff arrives...also...if you sign up with them they give you 5% off each purchase and send you lots of coupons throughout the year including a $10.00 gift certificate for your birthday...little things like that keep me coming back to a store..

#80858 - 02/08/06 07:00 PM Re: How about over 50 women?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
That Black and white store sounds great. I've got to check it out.

I don't dress my age either. I am very slim and have to buy most of my clothes in the junior dept., especially pants and skirts. It is getting harder and harder to find things that won't make me look like a Boomer-wanna-be-teenager. I keep hoping the retailers will realize that there are slim "women" who want to dress nice.

#80859 - 02/09/06 06:04 AM Re: How about over 50 women?
Scorpio115 Offline

Loc: New York
I'm not in bad shape either but I don't want to wear skimpy, tight tops nor low-rise spandex stretch jeans. Not looking for matronly but I know I'm not a teen anymore and I'd like to get a classier look. But nowhere can be found something for my age (late 50's). We still spend. Can the designers and retailers realize that?

#80860 - 02/09/06 08:53 AM Re: How about over 50 women?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
There are several good clothing stores for women over 30. Talbots is classic, J Jill is more casual, Ann Taylor is classic chic, Ann Taylor Loft is younger classic chic, just to name a few. These are more high end, but you can still get good clothing at a fair price if you wait for sales and shop the outlets. By the way, Talbots is in the process of buy J Jill.

Daisygirl

#80861 - 02/09/06 07:26 PM Re: How about over 50 women?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Blondi, I am not a shoe person. I don't know what my problem is. I guess I'm too picky. You must talk shoes with Dianne!

I'm not sure the store here has shoes. Maybe they do, but I haven't seen them. That shows you how little I care about them. I'm working on it though. Much better about spring and summer shoes.

Mom always said I never took my feet with me when I got shoes as a kid. I got home and nothing ever felt right.

Daisy, the clothes at J Jill always look so nice, but I don't like them on me when I try them on. Weird. Are they kinda baggy?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved