The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#80654 - 01/03/06 10:57 PM Still fashion conscience?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I couldn't resist beginning this forum. After all the talk about teen's fashions, I thought it was time to talk about boomer fashions.

Are you still fashion conscience?

#80655 - 01/03/06 11:02 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Where do you buy your clothes?

#80656 - 01/04/06 12:13 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotsie,
I am a snob I buy them at Talbots a lot and on sale and the talbots outlet . Lord and Taylor , etc. Love Lord and Taylor .

#80657 - 01/04/06 01:32 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I buy a lot of my clothes from Talbots because they have the best selection of petites in town. I also like Ann Taylor. But I do shop for bargains and hardly ever pay full price for clothes unless it is something very special that I think won't last long, but that's a rare occasion.

Daisygirl

#80658 - 01/04/06 02:34 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
I am absolutely still fashion conscious! Although, what we've seen in the last few years being touted as 'fashion', has left me cold. Fall/Winter 2005 has been a bit better, and Spring/Summer 2006 is looking even more so. Thankfully, we'll be seeing a more high-waisted look back at the fashion forefront. I am so sick of nothing but low-rise everything! Finally, the fashion gurus are now voicing what we women have been saying all along...The low-rise fashions do not look good on the majority of women.

I shop everywhere, in all manner of stores and shops. It may take me a bit longer to find what I want, but, for mature women, that's just the way of it. I want clothes that look good on me, on my body-shape. I've found pieces I love at high-end department stores, and at my local discount shack.

#80659 - 01/04/06 02:45 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Daisygirl Offline

I accidently bought some low rise jeans and I'm constantly pulling them up! I'm glad to hear higher waists are going to be back in style.

#80660 - 01/04/06 03:55 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

DaisyGirl ,
I love Ann Taylor , but haven't bought anything in there yet . I am glad I have another Talbots fan here . I did get a pair of jeans last year strength and fit light a glove . Well almost .

Thanks Dotsie this is a fun topic .

#80661 - 01/04/06 04:31 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I find alot of value from Romans and sometimes Lane Bryant catalogs. I have found some adorable, youngish flirty blouses etc. at stores here called Ritzy Rags and Lee Fashions. They cater to older gals but have younger looking bright, sexy styles. I love the beaded dresswear.

[ January 03, 2006, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#80662 - 01/04/06 06:06 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
I hit the racks at Casual Corner, during the Christmas season.

They had a going out of business sale, everything was 60-75% off.
Walked out with two big bags...what deals.

Absolutely, love Old Navy stretch jeans...

Have a hard time finding clothes I like, so I normally let the clothes find me...by going store to store.

#80663 - 01/04/06 06:27 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
After losing 60 lbs. I don't know where to go.
I try on a size that I think will fit, and it's to big! That's great.
But.....I get so tired of trying to figure out what size I wear.
I hate to shop for clothes and always have.
Now shoes.......that's another subject!
Lynne
Macy's is my main store, then Nordstrom's.

#80664 - 01/04/06 06:50 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
LSmith.....

When I had lost my 60 lbs in my 20's (nearly kept it off,too!!) I had all my "fat" clothes altered. I could not wait to see myself in the same frumpy clothes as a thinner person.

It was wonderful! Like you, I hate to shop for clothes so I paid a lot less for a new wardrobe that I already loved!! It REALLY was a treat for me.

Try it........you'll like it!!

#80665 - 01/04/06 08:48 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Absolutely! I love Filene's but it will be gone shortly. My favorite store is a local store that I have been going to for years. The clothes are good quality, different, dressy and casual, and the girls there dress me up and help me find outfits I like. I like to get a lot of mix and match. They have grown over the years and now are big for formal wear, prom gowns, bridesmaids, mother of the bride, as well as their usual line. They started out with a store in the basement of their home years ago and later a regular store on route one. Now they have moved into a much larger building and expanded. It is called The Ultimate. I also like Chico's.

Chatty, I bought two nice outfits in Vegas somewhere in those shops near Aladdin's for next to nothing. They were summer crop pant sets. Such a buy, I bought one for my daughter too.

Louisa

#80666 - 01/04/06 08:55 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
LuckyLady Offline

Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas
Hello Ladies, I like Chicos and Coldwater Creek for the "mature woman's figure". Yikes..........I don't know about y'all, but I seem to have lost my waist. I think it slid down to my butt. I have a friend who said her bra size went from a 36C to a 36Long!! LuckyLady

#80667 - 01/04/06 10:15 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
LSmith5434 Offline

I totally forgot about Coldwater Creek because we don't have a store here in Olympia, but there is one in Seattle that I haven't been to yet.
I drool everytime I get a catalog. I love their shoes, and I've bought some clothes too, but only one thing fit because I haven't decided what size I am yet.
Di.....I threw out all of my old big clothes. I would lose weight, put it back on, you know the routine, I'm sure. So this time I told myself don't save the big clothes, you'll know they are there to wear.
As I said I hate to shop, so that made it even better, knowing I would have to shop. Reverse psychology I guess?
Lynne

#80668 - 01/04/06 04:47 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I'm a Coldwater Creek fan too.....several of my Christmas presents were from their catalog in fact. I also order things online from Land's End. The only store we have here in my little town is Peebles. It's got a great selection of "everything" and has sales all the time. I'm not a big fan of huge malls so most of the time I make do with online buying and good old Peebles! Since I'm retired, most of the stuff I buy is "casual" wear anyway. If I was looking to buy something "special" I'd probably make the sacrifice (haha) and go to the nearest mall to shop.

#80669 - 01/04/06 11:25 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My favorites are Ann Taylor and Loft b/c their clothes fit very well, especially the pants! Another favorite is Harolds (www.harolds.com), but only shop there when on sale and have a coupon or 50% off!

#80670 - 01/05/06 01:04 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
I used to love Ann Taylor and Casual Corner. And FIlene's and Jordan Marsh (Macy's now, and I don't like it as well), but only if something was on sale. Also the original Filene's Basement in Boston. They used to have gorgeous clothes there for really great prices.

More recently, I have good luck at Kohl's. But you need to have the patience to really look until you find what you want there.

Looking my best has always been important to me. Doing it on a limited budget is a challenge at times.

#80671 - 01/05/06 05:04 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Luckylady,
We have a Coldwater Creek here in the Mall and will have to check it out more . the have lovely pins and jewerly . I have not checked out there clothes too well. YOu like the clothes at Coldwater Creek ?

Pam, I love the cord slip on slackes from Lands End so much and 7day twills a lot. Pam , have you tried L.L. Bean Clothes? I love them

#80672 - 01/05/06 06:44 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Love, love, love Coldwater Creek. I told my husband that he can't go wrong picking something out for me from CC for Christmas, birthday, etc. I also shop from Lands End and LL Bean. I like no-nonsense clothes. But when I want a few beads and sequins and doo dads, I look for Chicos. Sometimes I want to look like mother earth and sometimes I want to look like a rock star. My mother dressed me well as a kid. When I look at childhood pics, she really knew how to dress me! If only my hair would cooperate. I went through a terrible time in my teens where I hated myself and my body and I draped myself in over sized jeans and flannel shirts. But my main style is fringe, beads, sequins, loops, hoops, and scarves. I used to love to sew my own clothes. Now it's not enough to sew your own clothes. Now you have to have your own line of fashion!

#80673 - 01/05/06 06:47 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Daisygirl Offline

Hey, when you're on a budget, you just have to be more creative~ It's fun!

#80674 - 01/06/06 08:04 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Oooh, I love this thread, but I'm not shopping much right now. I have a ton of nearly new clothes in my closet that I can't wear because of my steroid-induced weight gain this past year. I'm working on getting the weight back off, because I love the clothes. Like so many of you, I've been wearing Coldwater Creek, Land's End, Nordstrom, etc. I've worn Talbots (I'm talking the actual same pieces!) for years.
What I'd like some help with is where to buy "Florida-style" clothes now that I live here. Most of my Colorado clothes look too -- I don't know--lumberjack related [Wink] They have a store called Bealls here that I keep meaning to check out. Has anybody bought from them?

#80675 - 01/06/06 08:12 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by Lynnie:
Sometimes I want to look like mother earth and sometimes I want to look like a rock star.

You are my long lost sister aren't you?

I hope they don't get rid of low rise jeans completely. They are the only ones that fit me right. I mean around the waist...
MOH travelled to Alabama over the holidays and I had him pick me up 3 pr of Maurice Jeans at the mall in Florence, Al. They are the only ones that fit me properly. At 29.99 a pop you can't beat em.
chick

[ January 05, 2006, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#80676 - 01/06/06 05:25 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Hey Chickadee where have you been, missed your wit....

#80677 - 01/06/06 09:52 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Shopping for clothing always seems like a chore for me. I'm also very picky about fit so I don't want to chance catalogues.

This said and done, I shop the sales twice a year at a few favorite stores -- places where I've had good luck finding things in the past.

My faves? Nordstrom, Nordstrom's Rack, Mervyns, Chico's, SteinMart, and JC Penney's for their clearance sales. I also buy handmade or custom clothing from other artists if I like their style. I love unusual pieces.

#80678 - 01/06/06 04:19 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Yes Nancy50 - Lands End cords, twills and even their jeans fit very nicely! Comfy clothes is what I'm all about these days.....

#80679 - 01/07/06 05:31 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Pam,
I bought four pairs of the pull on cords and just love them so much . They are so soft to the touch and was and wear so well. I have every color except red or cranberry I think they call them.I love the navy ,but could not get them.

Hey, Talbots is having a sale and I am heading down to the Mall on Sunday . I have couple of things from Christmas to return. I love there sweaters.

[ January 06, 2006, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#80680 - 01/08/06 12:39 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
All right, I guess I'm different in more ways than one. I couldn't resist this post when I saw it because I buy all of my clothes (except for underwear) at used clothing stores. I love wearing all kinds of things: beautiful, fun, wild, comfortable, etc. And I find all of that at consignment shops and vintage and used places. I'm definitely a recycler and it just thrills me to find something really wonderful for a tiny fraction of what I would have to pay for it in a regular store. We've always been on a pretty tight budget and my daughter and I both have great wardrobes mostly from the same sources. A couple of years ago for her birthday we went to tea, dinner and a concert all of which we had to be very well dressed for. We spent the morning of that birthday outfitting her, me, her father and brother at the local Goodwill store and I have to say, we all looked pretty spiffy.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

#80681 - 01/08/06 05:33 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
Dahti- I love Goodwill too
You can't take the 60's hippie out of the Boomer woman I guess
I remember the Village in NYC in 1969 when we had free clothing stores- grab some -leave some
Never lost my gypsy soul!

#80682 - 01/08/06 07:21 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
I suppose this post will alienate everyone around here yet once more but......

Why do older women think they should dress in baggy squarish clothes made from easy-care frabrics with elastic waists?? This stuff just makes you look old no matter what your age. I think Coldwater Creek is one of the worst offenders for spot-it-from-a-mile-away old lady clothes.

Even older women who have gained weight over the decades and who aren't perky where they used to perk can still dress nicely without looking frumpy. Clothes with waists defined (yes! you DO still have one!), tailoring, darts, flattering necklines, can all be had in sizes larger than an 8. I think it's a matter of habit and mindset "oh, I haven't bought anything like that in 20 years I wouldn't dare wear that now." Dare! Wear it now. Get some slinky underwear and heels to go with it. Look in the mirror and see how attractive you can still be if you buy something just a little out of the ordinary.

Stop thinking "it's comfy, apprpriate, durable." Start thinking "adoreable, curvy, sensuous." Don't worry about where you'd wear it and just wear it! Wear cute curvy clothes to the bank, the store, to work.

I think one of the biggest clothing mistakes heavier older women make is to wear big clothes that they think *covers* their size. Women have fleshy busts and hips and thighs, this is what makes us women. Flaunt it with pride, stop hiding it under big sweaters and baggy pants.

I've seen a few bellydance performances in the last couple of years. One of the hottest dancers I've seen was a mature woman who weighed well over 200 lbs. She had on the coins and spangles and the outfit, she was shaking her stuff and she was just great. Boobs to die for. I loved it.

We need to change our thinking and then buy some new clothes totally unlike what mature 50somethings are supposed to be wearing at this stage in life. I just bought a pair of stiletto/suede/bejeweled knee high boots and I'm strutting with pride! As a friend of mine once said "you are what you pretend to be."

[ January 08, 2006, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: mrs_madness ]

#80683 - 01/08/06 07:31 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Your post doesn't offend me in the least Mrs Maddness. What you are pretending to be in your stiletto/suede/bejeweled knee high boots is your biz...and if it makes you feel like the woman you want to be, then I say GO FOR IT!

I, on the other hand, happen to like and FEEL GOOD in drawstring pants from COLD WATER and other places. I like loose fitting clothing, and I like, sometimes, baggy pants and oversized shirts. I'm NOT hiding from anything.

I like ME, and so I don't have to hide or PRETEND to be something I'm not. I like the person I am.

Where you may think this type of clothing is tacky, I think it looks relaxing and neat. Very neat. Not showy...

I guess it goes back to the old saying, Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Wouldn't it awful if we all thought the same way, dressed the same way, talked the same way? I say wear your heels! Strut! I'll strut too, just in flipflops and drawstrings!

We are women, hear us roar!

JJ

#80684 - 01/08/06 07:55 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chickadee Offline

It IS all about what WE like isn't it?
I love clothes and there's days when I wake up like this morning, my day off, and I am wearing a parrot green 15 year old "shabby" chic housecoat. (It was my Mom's and I love it) In a few minutes I will be wearing a gold sexy shiek shorter housecoat. Both pieces are great for interchangeable hot flash wear.
When I shower later,I will put on a black snakeskin 2 piece suit with spiked heel boots...going out for lunch. After lunch it's Maurice hip hugger jeans,((( that hug my waist, not hips))) and a black tee and leather jacket with comfy shoes to match.
Tomorrow, for work, I will be in black pants, white shirt and tie.
Friday night I might be in a backless black sexy number or ducky slippers and 15 yr old torn shirt and knees out jeans. I am a sweats/jammie girl too. Elastic is my friend.
I love animal prints and have several beautiful pieces.
And not only am I WOMAN...I am a Leo. Believe me...I Roar... but occasionally I Purr....Brrrellll.

chick

#80685 - 01/09/06 08:30 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I am still learning the difference between "shabby chic" and "Shabby Shriek."

I may have too much of the latter.

smile

#80686 - 01/09/06 08:35 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
NHJackie Offline

I think we all need to dress in what makes us feel comfortable. Women who feel good about they're wearing generally look good, too. Obviously, our taste in clothing differs depending on who we are.

We've reached the age where we should dress to please ourselves, not anyone else.

#80687 - 01/09/06 12:44 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chick, meredith is also a animal skin woman.

#80688 - 01/09/06 02:30 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Daisygirl Offline

I love leapard and I have had at least 1 item in my closet ever since I can remember. Now, I don't dress like Cher......remember her leapard print jumpsuit?

Daisygirl

#80689 - 01/09/06 10:08 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I have a leopard print spandex catsuit for the gym [Roll Eyes]

I'm at my best when I'm the most comfortable. That means clothing I can move in -- elastic waistbands, flat sturdy shoes, and stretchy material (cotton spandex, rayon spandex, nylon spandex...) -- big jewelry, hats, scarves, and attitude. I've never worn tailored because I never had a tailored personality. I buy occasional things at thrift shops. Mostly I just keep things forever. I love telling people "This piece is vintage, and I'm the original owner!"

I'm glad we all have our own style. Stepford Boomers would just be TOOOOOO scary [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

#80690 - 01/09/06 07:34 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My early mornings are spent in sweats. After showering I wear levis and a sweater and if it's cold, my UGGS, which really help save my feet and legs from the hardwood floors.

Before bed I put on my "Bird Robe" which is torn and shredded for Sammie's nightly loving. She knows when I come out wearing it that it's her time to be held and kissed. She gets all excited.

Then, I strip down to nothing for bed!

#80691 - 01/09/06 09:41 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
May I ask...I am coming out of divorce after 24 years. I turned 49 Saturday. I still dress the way I did when I was 29. Jeans, tennis shoes are the preferred attire. Sundays I wear black pants and a nice top,sweater or blouse to church with flat black shoes.

I realize I don't have a lot of $$ at this point to buy new clothes but when I do does anyone know the HOW of dressing better and more maturely?

I see the makeover shows (which most I would never wear the things they pick out for them to wear) How do you 'grow up' your clothing?

As far as that goes--how do I 'grow up' everything else? Makeup, hair....How do I find me and take on a more polished and well rounded me look????

Any ideas?

#80692 - 01/09/06 11:08 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Pattyann Offline

Starting over- why do we have to grow up our clothes??!!I think it's up to everyone to find your own style- tailored-comfy- flashy- whatever-sure most cartoon character tees and bare your butts skirts shouldn't be anyone's option unless they are 6 but I think that at this point in my life what I like is what I like and I like myself and can laugh at the pictures so i refuse to agonize over it- had enough of that at 17 when i wasn't sure who i really was

#80693 - 01/10/06 12:09 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Jeannine Offline

Dress to suit your coloring, and body shape, starting over. Forget thinking that at the age of 49 (Happy B-Day, by the way!) you should start dressing in some old fashioned age-appropriate manner, set down generations ago. Believe me, life experiences, and good old gravity takes care of maturing us...no need to adopt some manner of dress to achieve it. It's there...in our faces, in our eyes.

We all want to look our best, no matter our age. I think one of the best tips is for a woman to really look at herself, as objectively as possible. If her hair color/cut is a little drab, or if the cut hasn't been altered in twenty years, or if she notices that maybe that one-tone, dark-like-when-she-was thirty, hair color is making her look older than she really feels, maybe it's time for a little change. With clothing, well, take it from this 54 year old gal...going slighly subdued, as to colors, can really make a difference in how a mature complexion looks! As for clothing styles, well, that's pretty much up to your personal preference, starting over. There again, it's what looks good on your individual body shape, that's most important. It is also wise to consider the shape, that body shape is in...No matter how often a mature woman works out, no matter how in-shape she keeps herself, her body is not that of a twenty year old.

http://www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#80694 - 01/10/06 02:03 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Jeannine
Those are some great tips!

Pattyann,
I agree.

But like Starting over, I think I should try to grow up my clothes a little bit. (I'm sitting here in jeans and a Mickey Mouse Sweatshirt...LOL)

#80695 - 01/10/06 02:43 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Jeannie...is right about the hair color and cut.
While in the grocery store last week I noticed the check-out clerk had a fantastic cut. So I asked her who did her hair, said her daughter...but she only does hers. But, for years she had a stylist in the area, that did a nice cut and color.
I have had so many bad haircuts, I was almost afraid to go...
Made an appointment... and he tells me I have helmet head and was stuck in the 60's... [Roll Eyes] Told him I liked the 60's. [Big Grin]
So he picked out a cinnamon brown coloring, gave me layers that flip all over my head. No kidding after putting the color on...my face coloring glowed with a pinkish tint.
Just love the color and cut...better yet, no more helmet head. [Razz]
As far as clothes goes...I really like to be comfortable. So, it's normally jeans and a tee.

#80696 - 01/10/06 04:39 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

starting over, here's a thought. Why don't you look at magazines and consider how the styles might look on you? Also, be intentional about looking at what other women wear and think about what might look good on you. Then take a Saturday to venture out and try all sorts of styles to see what you like best.

#80697 - 01/10/06 05:13 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
boomersis Offline

Starting over - your haircut and color cannot be over-emphasized. Find a good salon and go for a change. I normally shoot for a subtle change in color, but I vary the length and style as I get tired of the same old me. People will notice the change, no matter how subtle. It feels great for someone to comment about your hair. Good Luck!

#80698 - 01/10/06 09:00 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Thanks everyone. I wore my hair a bit longer and colored it while married, but after everything that happened with that and the pending divorce I realized I really didn't have a clue who the real me was anymore. So I went drastic and cut my hair shorter, closer to the way I wore it before married, and have let all the color grow out and be cut off. Now at least this part is the real me--I may not like the gray hair and such, but I felt like I had to take me back to an empty page to rediscover myself.

I am finding that every aspect of my life is going to have to be rebuilt--accept my relationship with the Lord, my son and my family. Everything else has to change. The job, where I live, my clothes--I wear jeans and t-shirts to work now, but I am going to need a good job with benefits now, that's going to require major changes in clothing and even my attitude, how I eat, what I eat...everything. I get so tired just thinking about it some days I just want to stay in bed!

I keep telling myself baby steps, one day at a time but it's overwhelming. How did I get to be 49 and have my life be such a train wreck?! I never dreamed my life would turn out like this...

OK deep breath...end of pity party.

Shoes would help change some outfits. Currently I wear (very worn) tennis shoes with everything. Having a casual leather shoe that would work with jeans or khakis would make an outfit look a little dressier, maybe I can catch a two for sale at Payless Shoes or something.

The hair color will definitely be something I will go back to when I have the $$. But I want to make sure I can afford to maintain it. The last thing I want is to end up with 'race stripe' hair because I can't afford a touch up.

Any other ideas on little steps I could take besides adding a couple pairs of shoes that might help dress up me up a bit?

#80699 - 01/10/06 09:41 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Starting over... Your growing out of the old, and into the new.
Your going through metamorphosis , don't give up.
When you break through, you will fly
effortlessly.

The Lord watches over you...he will turn your life around. Take one day at a time, and know the transformation will be your perfect fit.

#80700 - 01/11/06 02:44 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
yepthatsme2 Offline

As far as the clothes part goes...not sure about everyone else but...our Goodwill's take in alot of new clothing from the dept. stores this time of year. Many times you will see shoes and clothes with the tags still attached.

#80701 - 01/11/06 09:32 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Hi Ladies,
I love fashion! I love the low rise jeans and the crop tops.. Love the short jackets and all the embellisments. The cammies feel so feminine and are soft and nice to touch.
The big belts and medallion necklaces are great. I thoroughly enjoy the strappy high heels and getting pedicures and manicures with added decorations.
My favorite place to shop is Victoria'a Secret and onlne at Carabella's and the Body Shop. At the mall, I enjoy Papaya as their prices are reasonable and I absolutely love their clothing.
I have the cowboy boots, the patent heels and the chandelier earrings.
I'm very happy with my self in this regard. I wish all of life was this simple...

#80702 - 01/11/06 11:59 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Pattyann Offline

I'm lucky here- the goodwill I shop at gets all the leftover clothes from QVC- brand new- a fraction of the price

#80703 - 01/12/06 12:12 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Oh, Pattyann, that's great!! Do you have any Denim & Co.?? Love their stuff!!

#80704 - 01/12/06 01:34 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
NHJackie Offline

They closed all the Goodwill stores around here. I miss them.

#80705 - 01/12/06 03:06 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Pattyann Offline

Bluebird
They have Denim &Co, Quacker wierd stuff, Susan Graver, Koos- all the stuff- for $3.75 you can go nuts without the guilt

#80706 - 01/12/06 03:12 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Quacker weird stuff!!! Good description!
Someday, I will get back to Lancaster,PA...I can meet you, go to Amish country and to the Goodwill store!

#80707 - 01/12/06 06:13 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

I have a friend I went to school with who shops at goodwill an finds some lovely things Not me I can't find a thing . I did get in on the 60% off on talbots sale on some sweaters that I needed badly for winter . It is a little strange weather we are having about 50-60 degrees here .

#80708 - 01/12/06 06:33 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
LSmith5434 Offline

Hey.....what's wrong with Quaker Factory weird stuff?????
I just started watching QVC......tell me all about it?
Lynne

#80709 - 01/12/06 11:10 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

NAncy, I love this weather. Should hit 64 today. that's crazy for january, but the more warm weather we have, the less we have to endure the cold winters!

Coldwater Creek has a 70% ticketed price sale in case anyone is interested.

#80710 - 01/13/06 05:00 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Has anyone ever gone to Steinmart?

#80711 - 01/13/06 06:22 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Princess Lenora Offline

Oh yes, I don't like the name of the store, (Steinmart sounds so uncreative) but I like the goods and the prices. Sometimes they have unique items. If anyone finds my childhood gold charm bracelet that went into the Goodwill bin around 1976 please let me know.

#80712 - 01/13/06 08:07 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Dotsie ,
I was down the Mall yesterday and saw Coldwater Creek had there big sale and Ann Taylor and will stop and take a look on Saturday .
Quaker Factory they have that on QVC I am not quite into those cloths , but the look nice . Have you bought any yet. I don't care for QVC clothes .

#80713 - 01/13/06 07:21 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

Chatty, we have a Steinmart which carries some very stylishly chic clothes. It's not cheap either and some pieces are pretty expensive.

#80714 - 01/14/06 12:45 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Danita Offline

OK,

WHO, in their RIGHT mind --

names a nice clothing store "steinmart"????

We have one in our area - and we've never even THOUGHT of going in -- in sounded like a grocery store.

Now I'm curious.

d.
(a miracle in motion) (lol)

#80715 - 01/14/06 03:25 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

The Stein family????????? I don't know either.

#80716 - 01/14/06 04:21 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Uh...a Jewish family? I don't know.

Mrs. Madness, I was wondering what shopping is like in Russia. Is it the same as the U.S or different and if so, how?

Oh girls, oh girls, after giving away nine 55 gallon trash bags of clothing to a local charity, I have to give up on buying clothes for a while.

Disclaimer* I did find a wonderful pair of Italian shoes. Had to have them. My husband just shakes his head. "Dianne, we're cleaning out junk. What are you doing?" These shoes were calling my name. Hey, I did give away four pairs of shoes. That's a start, right?

I've rented a storage unit for my clothes in MN, close to our new place. I'll have the wardrobe boxes marked by season, etc. That way, I can exchange the clothing because my new closet is about the size of a postage stamp.

#80717 - 01/14/06 05:47 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I am basically a catalog shopper but I discovered Steinmart and love, love that place. Yes they have upper class items but when they have a sale the prices and deals arr to die for. You can find things there that are found no where else. Check it out Danita, everything there but groceries...I can spend an entire day there and I hate to shop basically.

#80718 - 01/14/06 07:30 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Dianne,
Have you thought of consignment shope to get your or some of you money back on your clothes and shoes . I have done that in the past . Just some thoughts on the matter . I have shopped at the consignment shops and there is what they call a clearing house for nice furniture . I purchased an Ethan Allen desk and a bookcase with it for about 800.00 not bad and looks like new and I love it in my office.

#80719 - 01/15/06 08:14 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I thought about it but it required me to drive and drop them off. I was in the hurry up and get it done mode. Actually, I'd rather have a disadvantaged woman benefit.

#80720 - 01/15/06 08:51 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Dianne,
You have a very good point there . I do also give to goodwill. I also donate to the local hospital here they have a nearly new sale and that is a tax write off for us. I have bought a lot of books in fact new books at the nearly new sale at the hospital.

#80721 - 01/14/06 09:36 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

I'm with Mrs. Madness on clothes. I love things that accentuate rather than hide.

#80722 - 01/14/06 10:15 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
mrs_madness Offline

I've bought some very nice good quality clothes at Steinmart. Things I would never have afforded at their original stores. I went to a snazzy Christmas party at a concert hall here in Moscow and wore a sapphire blue stretch velvet dress I bought at Steinmart a few years back. It's a lovely dress but....

American styles look squareish and conservative here.There is definately an American style that is different from other western countries. American clothes tend to be plainer, squarer, less body conscious. Most of the clothes I've bought in Russia are much much cuter than the standard clothes available in America; stretchy fabrics, clingy, with a more feminine tailoring. Less *utilitarian* than American clothes. Women here dress to look like women, wear clothes that flatter women's shapes, be they large or small, young or old.

One of the worst problems I'm having is shoes. In America I wear a 9 1/2, a hard size to find just about anywhere. That translates into a European 41 or 42 which is bigger beyond the range of women's shoes here (I'm only 5'4"!). When I bought my glitzy stiletto Roosky hooker boots I must have gone to, seriously, 30 or 40 shoe stores. Russian women's shoes stop at size 40. And these Russian girls, half of them are 6 feet tall. Where ever did they get such tiny little feet?? I have big honking American feet. And I cannot get shoes here. It has been a real problem.

#80723 - 01/14/06 10:25 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

I'd love those boots Mrs. Madness! I prefer stretchy, clingy styles too.

I don't think a woman needs to spend a fortune on clothes or cosmetics to look good.

My definition of "looking good" is this: when you look in the mirror at yourself, you are satisfied with the image there. That's all that counts.

#80724 - 01/15/06 05:02 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Big honking American feet, what??? Explain that please to this size 6 shoe person. I think you have been misinformed about American womens feet. Even a lot of our American men have smaller than normal feet. Really!!!!

[ January 15, 2006, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#80725 - 01/15/06 06:16 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I love Steinmart. They have a lot of interesting clothes which I don't see elsewhere. Then, I don't get out much.

#80726 - 01/15/06 06:35 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

Chatty, I think Mrs. Madness only meant to say her own feet are big. Am I right Mrs. Madness? [Roll Eyes]

#80727 - 01/15/06 06:44 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Danita Offline

O.K...I'm in trouble now. I'm going to find that local steinmart and check it out. Litterally I thought it was a grocery store - and wasn't going to bother with it.

Soooo much fun....can't wait!

danita

#80728 - 01/15/06 01:14 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I love clothes shopping and I buy whatever, from
wherever, lol, be it Macy's, Penney's, Sears,
Victoria's Secret, Ann Taylor, Pac Sun.
Sometimes I find good items in Walmart : )

I dress the same way as my adult daughters, with
the exception that I always keep my belly covered
lol.

#80729 - 01/15/06 07:57 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Mrs Madness, did you know that 9 1/2 is the most requested shoe size for women? I managed a shoe store many years ago and I can't tell you how many women in that size would rush in when they knew we'd just gotten a delivery because there was such a demand for that size.

I found in France, that the women are very small so it's difficult to even find a dress in a size 10.

I wear 7 1/2 shoe size. I used to be a six! This aging thing and the feet getting longer...along with the earlobes.

#80730 - 01/16/06 08:10 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

The earlobes thing scares me. I saw an older lady with the longest earlobes. I couldn't help staring at them. Luckily she didn't notice.

I'm a 7 1/2 too Dianne. I use to be a 7. I've ready that after pregnancy your shoe size can increase. Mine definetely did after my pregnancies.

#80731 - 01/15/06 09:37 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
yepthatsme2 Offline

All right..am I missing someting with the earlobes. What about the earlobes?

Where have I been? I never heard about the shoe size becomning larger after pregnancy.

So, my mom forgets to tell me about menopause, earlobes and feet becoming larger because of pregancy.

What else haven't I heard yet?

Well, my shoe size did go from a 7 to a 8....that's with 5 kids.

(((Bluebird))) did your shoe size go up with 8 kids??

Just wondering.

#80732 - 01/15/06 10:40 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chickadee Offline

Don't worry about our earlobes ladies but pray for the pretty young things that have holes big enough to put their ring fingers in. In a few years, they will slap themselves in the face if they do a double take or make a sharp neck turn. Maybe in later life they can sew them together at the nose for nice eyeglass frames. [Eek!] Have you seen the size of the holes in earlobes these days. And the guys are getting them too...even bigger. And what do my relatives do for a living? They're some kind of Engineer for a national IT company or they speak 11 languages fluently.
Don't they have to take their metal earrings out for work?...and what in the world do they replace 'them' with?
What about lightning storms?...I'll ask.

chick

#80733 - 01/16/06 12:53 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

Hi Chick, yes I have seen those huge ear piercings too.

Come to think of it, what WILL happen with those as the earlobes continue to grow? Those things look like they'd be heavy and so wouldn't they stretch the earlobes even longer??

#80734 - 01/16/06 02:24 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
mrs_madness Offline

Aggghhh, those earlobes!

I had my ears pierced in high school. I didn't often wear earrings mostly because I couldn't afford them.

I remember my grandmother and her 2 sisters, my great aunts. Born in 1883, 1889, and 1891. They all lived to be nearly 100. By the time I was a grown up they were all very very old Victorain ladies, and their earlobes! Ugh. They had spent their entire lives wearing large heavy pierced earrings. Their earlobes were so stretched and saggy they hung nearly to the shoulders. I remember thinking how terrible and ugly it looked. And I haven't worn a pair of earrings in 25 or 30 since.

I may have other wrinkly pendulous features but ears like that? I refuse. I may have big feet but my ears, thank goodness, are still cute. [Big Grin]

#80735 - 01/16/06 02:49 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Well, I would not have my ears pierced in the 60's and still don't would come to school with the burnt tooth picks in there ear that there friends had pierced at home and they said you are next . Not , me catch me if you can and I am still running from having my ears pierce . I wear the clip on and love them Monet makes nice ones .

As far as shoes , for which I love Dianne ,also and handbags . I use to wear a 6 1/2A with a triple a heel and you can't find them today with that heel size . I now wear a 7M and sometimes in sandal a six again . If the run large . Boots a 7M. My father has small feet and mother did too and my brother wore and 8 shoes . My husband is tall 6ft and he wears a 10 1/2 which I think is small for a man of his size .

#80736 - 01/16/06 02:57 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

My feet have gotten thinner. Used to wear M but now wear narrow.

The good news is there was a doctor in OH that did laser treatment on earlobes that pulled them back up and firmed them. I haven't heard of anyone else doing it tho.

I saw a picture of a guy with his cell phone stuck through the large hole in his earlobe.

#80737 - 01/16/06 04:54 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well you guys knocked my socks off with the earlobe thing. Never heard of it and have a mother and two aunts all over 85 and none has long or ugly earlobes. I don't either at my age my earlobes look exactly the same as they always did. I am now a size larger shoe but I go barefoot so much around the house and yard and then wear sandals alot because I can with the always warmer weather.....I'm spoiled.

#80738 - 01/16/06 05:13 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

I was 25 when I finally had my ears pierced. The clip on earrings hurt too much. I had it done at the mall where they used a gun which was quick and painless. I do remember some of the girls at my school with a thin piece of wood through their ears. No thanks,it looked unhygienic.

My earlobes aren't stretched even though I do like to wear big hoops a lot. The gold is very light weight.

#80739 - 01/16/06 06:22 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Well, knowone is going to use a ear gun to shot a hole threw my ears lobes . My daughter had four done and the last one hurt and now she does not wear all four earring in her ears. I will stick with the clips . I have friends where they got infected and looked horrible . Not for me.

Chatty, I too walk aroung the house in my barefeet even in the winter . We had to take our shoes off when we came in the door as kids and just got use to it .

#80740 - 01/16/06 11:24 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Big Foot speaking here... 10 1/2 or 11 aaaa or some stupid size like that. Maybe my feet are getting wider with age and I only need an AA. When I started college they were size 9 and I haven't been pregnant either. They went up to 10 by the time I was 30. Finding shoes that fit is a major headache.

The biggest piercings I see are on guys, who have those openings the size of a nickel. Geesh. The first time I saw one of those, it was really hard not to stare.

Nancy, I also don't have pierced ears! No one believes this because I sell earrings -- everyone expects my ears to be pierced. When I was 15 and wanted to pierce them, my doctor told me no way because I had so many allergies. Now I don't have many allergies, but I've been wearing non-pierced for so long, I'm fine with it. I can change pretty much all of the earrings I sell to clip or screw.

#80741 - 01/17/06 08:32 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Meredith ,
You do sell clips . I will check your site out and put on my favorites files. I have allegies , also . I am on clarix now . Thanks Meredith .

#80742 - 01/16/06 09:46 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Jeannine Offline

ladybug, right with you, girl on this statement!-
'My definition of "looking good" is this: when you look in the mirror at yourself, you are satisfied with the image there. That's all that counts'.

We know very well, how we wish to look, in our clothes. I'm sure, we've all made fashion adjustments, as we've matured. But, haven't we always made adjustments, through every phase of our maturing, body-changing lives?

I've been around for fifty-four years. That's fifty-four years of our mother earth's good old gravity having its way with me. Slowly, so subtly we don't realize it's taking place, until we begin to really notice the accumulative effects, probably in our forties, early fifties. I weigh today what I weighed in my twenties, I have always exercised regularly, but, girls, if my twenty-something self showed up, and stood beside my fifty-four year old self, the visible difference in our bodies would be extremely obvious!

The fifty-four year old me at 123 pounds trotting around in a spandex crop top, and low-rise jeans? Nah! That look is one the twenty-something me at 123 pounds could have pulled off, before gravity took its toll, and a look which, if I stood before my miror while sporting it today, I'd need be blind, not to notice it was doing nothing for me now.

The big-earlobe thing, in our elder years...well, maybe that's a matter of heredity, as opposed to wearing earrings. I've been wearing earrings of all sizes for almost twenty-five years now, and my lobes haven't started waving in the breeze yet.

Nancy50, Chattylady, add me to the 'bare-footin' crew! As for the feetsies changing as we mature, well, I've read that our feet tend to flatten , and spread out a bit with age. This is also the time when many women find the little pads wearing out, that once protected the pressure points, on the bottoms of our feet.

http://www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#80743 - 01/16/06 11:08 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

I prefer pierced earrings simply because I can only wear 14 kt. gold or real silver and these precious metals are not made in clip styles. Those imitation metals make my ears itch besides being heavy and hurting. My pierced ears never got infected because I followed the directions to keep them clean every day. [Wink]

#80744 - 01/17/06 02:02 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Well, I not sure about that with clips . I have found light weigh ones and I bet Mereidth has some light weigh ones just me , don't you ! Well, no holes in my ears . Ha!

#80745 - 01/17/06 02:50 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I can't wear clip on earrings. My lobes become red and then start bleeding. I'm left with ugly scabs.

#80746 - 01/17/06 02:58 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Hey, Dianne,
Speaking of jewelry . I Love "Swarovski " pins and necklaces . My husband bought me for christmas a lovely swarowvski pin with crystals . So , I bought myself a swan pin today . Don't you love the jewerly .

Well, to each his own on clips . Guess it the kind you buy . Thank goodness I don't have any problem with them. I wear Monet and love them and haven't had any problem for years .

#80747 - 01/17/06 05:48 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I pierced my ears when I was my twenties. I did it with the sleepers. It took forevever for the things to go through, but I've never had a problem with them since. A few years ago, I had a second hole put in with a gun at the mall. They eventually closed up and I'm not doing that again. I can't wear clips either. But I rememer years ago the girls wearing big heavy dangly earrings and everyone saying it would ruin their ears. My sister didn't listen to me and she nearly ripped her earlobes out from those arrings. Now she can only wear very light ones.

I love Swarovski stuff too. Have a lot of it.
Louisa

#80748 - 01/17/06 06:21 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Lousia,
I bought the Swan today and it is so pretty . I have a mouse with the pearl Swarovski and a blue whale and now I have the flower with the blue stones in it that my husband gave me for christmas it is so pretty . Now, he would like to get me the very small heart necklace for Valentines Day. I just love there pieces of jewrly so much. They have lovely earring , also .

You can wear them on sweaters or anywhere when you go out or just to stay home.

[ January 16, 2006, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#80749 - 01/17/06 07:18 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I have a beautiful belt with Swarovski stones on it. I love it and always get compliments when I wear it.

I have pins (broaches) and always forget to wear them. I don't know why but I do. I guess I'm not an accessory woman or something.

#80750 - 01/18/06 06:30 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Dianne,
I wear the Swarovski out and get a lot of compliments on them .I wear with casul clothes and sweaters out . I have never seen a belt with the Swarovski stones on them . Oh, how pretty .

#80751 - 01/18/06 12:43 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Ladybug,

1. Clips do come in sterling silver, 14 kt. gold-filled and 14 kt. gold. I carry those metals as well as the base metals. If I carry them, then other jewelers do as well. Your not being interested in an item doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

2. Weight has nothing to do with the metal of the ear finding. Any weight earring can come on any type of metal. You seem to be confusing something here as well, and I'm not really sure what it is.

For every metal or earring style that exists, there's someone who can't wear it. I had a customer once who could only wear copper. I just stock every variety or ear finding, and figure that whatever someone needs, I have it. If I don't have it, I can get it.

I wear some pretty big earrings, on screwbacks, not clips. My earlobes are small. However, about 95% of my non-pierced sales are for clips, not screws.

Nancy, my smaller earrings are all lightweight. I have quite a few styles with Swarovski, and am happy to make other styles as well. [Smile]

For whatever reason, I don't wear pins, brooches or rings. I guess that's why I don't make any. Well, I make maybe 10 pins a year, tops, as opposed to thousands of earrings.

#80752 - 01/18/06 07:29 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
ladybug Offline

Thank you for giving me the information. I must confess Meredith, none of the jewelry stores I've been to around here carry 14kt. gold clip ons.

I have one pair of large mabe' pearl cabochon style earrings that might be classified as a clip on. I think they are called european clip backs?

#80753 - 01/19/06 08:21 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Mereidith,
Thank you for adding that post about 14k clipped earring . In the finer jewelry stores I have seen clipped and have been able to order in clip earrings . I will check you site out on the jewelry . I will take a look at your Swarovski styles .

#80754 - 01/20/06 11:05 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

14 kt. gold clip-ons are PRICEY, which is why you don't see them too often. Lotsa gold in them thar clips.

What I do is take off the existing ear finding, and replace it with a clip. I don't carry commercially manufactured end product.

#80755 - 03/24/06 10:06 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Maritza Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
gUESS i AM THE ODD ONE, to me fashion is a state of mind, according to who I feel that is the type of outfit i put together. I lone the 20 and 40 look, nothing really new, all has been here before. love to mix faded jeans with a nice cashmer sweater and pearls, loafers and silver bracelets. shoes with a nice looking pedicurecan be worn with all...cotton, linen,classic, odd, long scarves, drama, unique, oddly put together gives me a sence of security. no comparison to anyone else.like a personal perfume stays even when you are not there...

#80756 - 03/24/06 07:06 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

ahh, Matiza. I want to see pictures! This sounds great.

#80757 - 03/26/06 09:10 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sandi Offline

Loc: Jupiter Florida
Lucky Lady My very favorite store: chicos.
Bloomingdale's has nice selection as well, but today I only buy "when on sale" Used to spend a fortunoe on one outfit....no more. I'd rather spend it on golf wear!!
But for xmas gifts, Bloomies sales are fabulous!

#80758 - 06/17/06 06:48 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
Oh yes! After a long period of not really buying very many clothes, I am finally loving lots of the new stuff that's out there - pretty tops, interesting dresses(which I tend to like to wear over pants, and of course the jeans! I like the below-the-waist bootcuts - perfect for me, and skip the superlow rise ones. At the age of almost 59(will be so on the 21st), with a good shape, haircolor, and good skin, I see no reason to just disappear into the woodwork with just some "safe, age-appropriate" look. To me, no matter what one's chronological age, it's to consider what shape one is in first and go from there, also what you like.
For myself, I tend to be eclectic, not needing to fit into any straight job stuff, as I'm an artist. Tend to pick up on second-hand, and dye/alter things to my liking, with different length layers, etc. I get a ton of compliments, for that, too!
I'll be style-conscious until I drop - I just like to look for very good deals, as I'm on a budget.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved