The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#80674 - 01/06/06 08:04 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Oooh, I love this thread, but I'm not shopping much right now. I have a ton of nearly new clothes in my closet that I can't wear because of my steroid-induced weight gain this past year. I'm working on getting the weight back off, because I love the clothes. Like so many of you, I've been wearing Coldwater Creek, Land's End, Nordstrom, etc. I've worn Talbots (I'm talking the actual same pieces!) for years.
What I'd like some help with is where to buy "Florida-style" clothes now that I live here. Most of my Colorado clothes look too -- I don't know--lumberjack related [Wink] They have a store called Bealls here that I keep meaning to check out. Has anybody bought from them?

#80675 - 01/06/06 08:12 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by Lynnie:
Sometimes I want to look like mother earth and sometimes I want to look like a rock star.

You are my long lost sister aren't you?

I hope they don't get rid of low rise jeans completely. They are the only ones that fit me right. I mean around the waist...
MOH travelled to Alabama over the holidays and I had him pick me up 3 pr of Maurice Jeans at the mall in Florence, Al. They are the only ones that fit me properly. At 29.99 a pop you can't beat em.
chick

[ January 05, 2006, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#80676 - 01/06/06 05:25 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hey Chickadee where have you been, missed your wit....

#80677 - 01/06/06 09:52 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Shopping for clothing always seems like a chore for me. I'm also very picky about fit so I don't want to chance catalogues.

This said and done, I shop the sales twice a year at a few favorite stores -- places where I've had good luck finding things in the past.

My faves? Nordstrom, Nordstrom's Rack, Mervyns, Chico's, SteinMart, and JC Penney's for their clearance sales. I also buy handmade or custom clothing from other artists if I like their style. I love unusual pieces.

#80678 - 01/06/06 04:19 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Yes Nancy50 - Lands End cords, twills and even their jeans fit very nicely! Comfy clothes is what I'm all about these days.....

#80679 - 01/07/06 05:31 AM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Pam,
I bought four pairs of the pull on cords and just love them so much . They are so soft to the touch and was and wear so well. I have every color except red or cranberry I think they call them.I love the navy ,but could not get them.

Hey, Talbots is having a sale and I am heading down to the Mall on Sunday . I have couple of things from Christmas to return. I love there sweaters.

[ January 06, 2006, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#80680 - 01/08/06 12:39 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
All right, I guess I'm different in more ways than one. I couldn't resist this post when I saw it because I buy all of my clothes (except for underwear) at used clothing stores. I love wearing all kinds of things: beautiful, fun, wild, comfortable, etc. And I find all of that at consignment shops and vintage and used places. I'm definitely a recycler and it just thrills me to find something really wonderful for a tiny fraction of what I would have to pay for it in a regular store. We've always been on a pretty tight budget and my daughter and I both have great wardrobes mostly from the same sources. A couple of years ago for her birthday we went to tea, dinner and a concert all of which we had to be very well dressed for. We spent the morning of that birthday outfitting her, me, her father and brother at the local Goodwill store and I have to say, we all looked pretty spiffy.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

#80681 - 01/08/06 05:33 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
Dahti- I love Goodwill too
You can't take the 60's hippie out of the Boomer woman I guess
I remember the Village in NYC in 1969 when we had free clothing stores- grab some -leave some
Never lost my gypsy soul!

#80682 - 01/08/06 07:21 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
I suppose this post will alienate everyone around here yet once more but......

Why do older women think they should dress in baggy squarish clothes made from easy-care frabrics with elastic waists?? This stuff just makes you look old no matter what your age. I think Coldwater Creek is one of the worst offenders for spot-it-from-a-mile-away old lady clothes.

Even older women who have gained weight over the decades and who aren't perky where they used to perk can still dress nicely without looking frumpy. Clothes with waists defined (yes! you DO still have one!), tailoring, darts, flattering necklines, can all be had in sizes larger than an 8. I think it's a matter of habit and mindset "oh, I haven't bought anything like that in 20 years I wouldn't dare wear that now." Dare! Wear it now. Get some slinky underwear and heels to go with it. Look in the mirror and see how attractive you can still be if you buy something just a little out of the ordinary.

Stop thinking "it's comfy, apprpriate, durable." Start thinking "adoreable, curvy, sensuous." Don't worry about where you'd wear it and just wear it! Wear cute curvy clothes to the bank, the store, to work.

I think one of the biggest clothing mistakes heavier older women make is to wear big clothes that they think *covers* their size. Women have fleshy busts and hips and thighs, this is what makes us women. Flaunt it with pride, stop hiding it under big sweaters and baggy pants.

I've seen a few bellydance performances in the last couple of years. One of the hottest dancers I've seen was a mature woman who weighed well over 200 lbs. She had on the coins and spangles and the outfit, she was shaking her stuff and she was just great. Boobs to die for. I loved it.

We need to change our thinking and then buy some new clothes totally unlike what mature 50somethings are supposed to be wearing at this stage in life. I just bought a pair of stiletto/suede/bejeweled knee high boots and I'm strutting with pride! As a friend of mine once said "you are what you pretend to be."

[ January 08, 2006, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: mrs_madness ]

#80683 - 01/08/06 07:31 PM Re: Still fashion conscience?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Your post doesn't offend me in the least Mrs Maddness. What you are pretending to be in your stiletto/suede/bejeweled knee high boots is your biz...and if it makes you feel like the woman you want to be, then I say GO FOR IT!

I, on the other hand, happen to like and FEEL GOOD in drawstring pants from COLD WATER and other places. I like loose fitting clothing, and I like, sometimes, baggy pants and oversized shirts. I'm NOT hiding from anything.

I like ME, and so I don't have to hide or PRETEND to be something I'm not. I like the person I am.

Where you may think this type of clothing is tacky, I think it looks relaxing and neat. Very neat. Not showy...

I guess it goes back to the old saying, Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Wouldn't it awful if we all thought the same way, dressed the same way, talked the same way? I say wear your heels! Strut! I'll strut too, just in flipflops and drawstrings!

We are women, hear us roar!

JJ

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved