The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#80317 - 01/03/06 03:27 AM Re: verbal abuse?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
I've worked the ER with so many people who wanted "to help" someone who was being verbally abused and ended up in the ER with a broken nose, bloody lips, or even worse.
If you want to help....and have a cell phone...move away from what is going on.......call 911 and get the help that is needed.
You're always hearing to get involved and help, but it just doesn't work out now in the day where violence is pretty much accepted.
All I have to do is look at the games my Grandsons's want me to purchase for them. Absolutely not!
Lynne

#80318 - 01/03/06 04:03 AM Re: verbal abuse?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Its a sad state of affairs when we can't offer help to someone who may need it without worrying about being retaliated against so unless someone is in imminent physical danger a I would back off. Even then I would call 911....

#80319 - 01/03/06 06:32 AM Re: verbal abuse?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Chatty,
Lynnie gave me a web site or told me of a web site that tells about verbal abuse and I can find it on my favorites I will post it here. I think it tell you where to go for help .

Keep you posted on that one.

#80320 - 01/03/06 07:35 AM Re: verbal abuse?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Nancy is referring to Patricia Evans, who is an author/speaker on verbal abuse. If you are interested in this topic you can google her name and her book titles come up. I've often wanted to "do something" but the fear of retaliation is greater than the desire to "help." What if he decided to pull a gun on me? Yep, do you want to tell us what happened at the convenience store?

#80321 - 01/03/06 07:18 PM Re: verbal abuse?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dotsie, I fell for the woman. I've been a victim of domestic violence to include the verbal insults. Yet, I too, don't want to become involved in another's battle (b/c I don't want to relive the past, cause further harm due to my involvement, nor become a victim again). Yet, I've learned how to give women gentle reminders, like loan them a book regarding domestic violence or if a stranger I've even simply written down a number on a slip of paper and give it to her by stating, oh I think you must have dropped this.

My mother and I witnessed a woman being battered at the Home Deport parking lot last spring, we stayed in the vehicle about 200 yards away w/ our lights focused on the couple, luckily, a store manager called the police. I must add that at first, my mother wanted to get out of the vehicle, but I yelled and said "are you crazy!" The man was shoving the young woman into a garden shed, he even lifted her from the ground and broke her high heels, I think she tried to get back into the vehicle. Not certain what happened after the police arrived, though.

Also, individuals can make silent police reports and not identify themselves -- this alleviates retaliation.

#80322 - 01/04/06 08:43 AM Re: verbal abuse?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
I was a manager at the convience store....we had gas pumps that you had to watch closely for drive offs.
While, looking out I spot a girl, pumping gas and a man on the passenger side, he jumps out of the car and starts yelling at her.
She had paid with a credit card and didn't need to come into the store.
So I glance back again...after she gets into the car...he is beating her with his fists.
I get on the loud speaker on the gas islands, and
tell him to quit hitting her that the police have been called. By then everyone pumping gas is looking...and doing nothing. (18 pumps in all).
Yell to the girl in the deli, to call the police, called two guys in the walk-in to come out.
We run outside...I open the driver's door pull her out while the guys are distracting him.
He ended up moving to the driver's seat, and driving off. She waited inside until the police showed up.
He was pulled over...not sure if she pressed charges or not.
I watched my mom be beat for years...
If, my daughter was being abused like that...I would want someone to help her.
I know the dangers, I can't stand by and watch someone be beat.

#80323 - 01/04/06 01:38 AM Re: verbal abuse?
Norah Offline

Loc: Ohio
Great thinking Brenda, you got everyone around you involved. Bullies don't like a crowd who will stand up to them, they only prey on the weaker individual. Have you read my Purse Snatcher short story on my website?, you might enjoy. I would love to hear some comments on it, it has been published in the Long Story Short website.

#80324 - 01/04/06 01:54 AM Re: verbal abuse?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Haven't read your stories yet...biut, I will check them out and give you feedback.

Here's Norah's website, so we can all give her comments.

http://rocklady.ws/index.html

#80325 - 01/04/06 02:38 AM Re: verbal abuse?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, it is good to get others around involved to assist, yet I worry when the abused individual is alone again w/ the abuser. That is why I try to be covert.

#80326 - 01/04/06 06:07 AM Re: verbal abuse?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm sorry to hear about those who have been victims. Brenda, it is hard to believe that 18 pumps no one got involved. You did a bright and brave thing by using the loudspeaker. Oh my gosh. I volunteer at a domestic violence and sexual assault agency for victims. Today, the first business day after the new year holiday, was an insane crazy day. I went in at 8:30 expecting to volunteer for a couple of hours. I did not leave until 5 pm. We had so many clients! One after another. One women fled from another state new year's eve and drove until she ran out of gas. She then walked to a police station, and the police referred her to our agency. She fled with kids aged 4, 3, and 1 . She had driven for 7 straight hours. Another woman slept in her car new year's eve with her kids because she was afraid if she went back into the house to her drunk and drugged husband that he would kill her and the kids, like he was threatening. These women want restraining orders, which usually are violated anyway. Or they want assistance in housing, which they can't afford because the batterers have been controlling the money all along so the women can't get away. Another women left the house so suddenly with her infant that I had to go searching in our donation "pantry" for size 1 diapers. One women had a broken nose, another a broken tailbone. What is going on in this world?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved