The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#77448 - 10/19/05 12:06 AM Re: Recipes and such
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh Lord and I'm suppose to be the food police here BUT ladies, on the food channel just last week I was thoroughly entertained by The Third Annual Spam cook-off. There were 6000 people there all walking around tasteing the spam creations. It was awesome. My favorite was when two women contestants took sliced spam, hot dog size pieces and put them on a stick and dipped them into a thick corn meal batter and deep fried them. They looked so good. Their entry won second place in taste and originality. You would have to see the many delicious looking creations to believe them, truly awesome...Also does anyone know that Hawaii is the spam capital of the world and most upper class, expensive restaurants there have dishes designed around this meat??

[ October 20, 2005, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#77449 - 10/19/05 08:02 PM Re: Recipes and such
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I saw the Spam-a-thon too!!! [Smile]
My dad used to love Spam!! [Embarrassed] I never tasted it..& don't think I want too!!! [Smile]
My mom used to make something called Ambrosia with jello....I have to ask her how it was made. She always made one to bring to family gatherings.

#77450 - 10/19/05 08:26 PM Re: Recipes and such
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I loveeeeeee Abrosia! However, I don't recall Mom putting you know what in her's.... hm, that's a new twist.

So the Spam-a-thon winners made Spam-Foudue? How clever! Hawaii, eh? And all this time I thought it was Alabama...Hey, maybe we should have a Spam-a-ton here in Alabama, yes? We could call it BAMA-SPAM-A

What?

SPAM-A-BAMA?

WHAT? WHAT?

BAM-A-SPAM?

okay, okay, I'll quit...teehee..

JJ

#77451 - 10/19/05 08:43 PM Re: Recipes and such
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I thought I was the only person in the world who has never tasted Spam!!

My mom used to make the best ambrosia and stupid me, I never got the recipe from her.

#77452 - 10/19/05 11:31 PM Re: Recipes and such
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We have Spam bowlin' at the Hon Fest. Don't you love it?

I make ambrosia without jello too. It's simple. I'm sure not quite fancy enough for chatty's taste, but here goes:

mandarin oranges
pineapple chunks
red and green cherries at Christmas
pecans
mini marshmallows
coconut
enough sour vream to mix

Be careful adding the cherries. I usuall do that after it is mixed so the color doesn't run. I think that's everything.

#77453 - 10/20/05 01:50 AM Re: Recipes and such
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dotsie fortunately I have no particular cuisine tastes, I can eat and can cook anything from Baked Alaska to Hobo Stew and have too. I am as at home with Prime Rib of Beef as I am with a White Castle hamburger. I thoroughly enjoy other peoples cooking as well, maybe more since theres no work for me involved.

Hint: If you'd like to add the cherries along with everything else, rinse them in cold water first and then NO color will run....

[ October 20, 2005, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#77454 - 10/21/05 03:49 AM Re: Recipes and such
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dotsie your recipe sounds quite tasty but how is it all held together???? Hey what do you mean not fancy enough for me? Me the White Castle junkie!!!

On the angel food creation of yesteryear you mentioned above, take any Angel food cake you would make (or buy) I buy mine. Then break it up into a bunt cake pan. Make the jello and let sit about 10 minutes then pour jello mixture into the bunt pan over the cake. Put in fridge until jello sets. You can also stir cool whip into the jello before pouring. Let cool & harden and turn over onto dish and serve...not hard really and tastes good. Any flavor jello will do. Oh and spray the bunt pan first just slightly with food spray so the mix comes out easily when hardened.

[ October 20, 2005, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#77455 - 10/21/05 05:26 PM Re: Recipes and such
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, the sour cream acts as a dressing and makes it moist.

Sunshine, I've never heard of that recipe. Sorry, no help here.

My sister is the queen of jello in our family. She has all these fun jello molds for every occasion. She always uses sugar free jello for the Diabetics in the family.

She brought my 20 year old son a funny gift on Sunday when she came for dinner while he was home from college. She proudly presented him with two small plates of orange football helmets and orange footballs.His school color is orange. What a hoot. Then she told him he could keep the plates for entertaining at his apartment. They were part of the gift. He's 20 and she's still making him jello molds. She got a huge smile and laugh out of him. Gosh I love her.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved