I had an article published in my local newspaper this morning. It's a paying job with my own byline. I researched it and can't get it on their website, so thought I would print it out here. I think it's one of the best I've done so far. I wanted to share it, hope you enjoy it.

Have you met my friend Andrew? He’s a quiet young man but you would notice him. You might have seen him playing pool on one of his pool teams. Maybe you’ve seen his picture in the paper. Bagging a 13 point buck with a crossbow gave him a feature article. How about the article about the benefit to help him go to Las Vegas to a special pool tournament?

He’s a likable young man, who at 16 wasn’t a nice guy, and that’s his own words. He thought he had it all, a car, cruising through school and a future that was bright. He was looking forward to attending Richland College to study Computer Aided Drafting. He had the world by the tail, or so he thought.

Then a diving accident took away his mobility and his world crumbled apart. Family soon became his support group, his world became measured in small triumphs and he worked his way through personal lows. He found a buddy who would challenge him to work hard and not ever give up. He found new friends, finished High School, went on to study at Richland and continued to follow his dreams.

All who know him like him. He’s won the Sportsmanship Trophy from one of his pool leagues, voted in by his fellow players. His ready smile is enough to lift anyone out of the doldrums. He’s always fun to shoot pool against, making the match fun for both players. Is he competitive? Sure, but its not all consuming, he’s found there are other things in life more important. He’s learned to take each day at a time and enjoy every minute of every day. He’ll always need a caregiver and he knows it. He’s working temporarily in his chosen field, with another company waiting in the wings to hire him when his temporary job is completed.

Do all of these qualities make him special? He would say no, of course not. I know better, he’s faced adversity and an uncertain future with calm and willingness to do what’s necessary to do the best he can. He’s overcome his obstacles and is able to accomplish all he’s set out to do before his accident. I think of him when I’m tempted to whine about something small. I’ve never once heard him whine or complain about his lot in life. He has encouraged me to reach for my dreams. If he can fulfill his goals, then so can’t I do the same? If he can keep his sense of humor no matter what life dishes out, I can too.

Have you seen my friend Andrew? Watch for him in his handicapped equipped van that has a wheelchair symbol on the rear window with these words under it, “Don’t make me stand up!” No, he’s not physically challenged, just challenged. He’s a winner, thanks for your inspiration Andrew Niebrugge, my young friend.

Sherri